Spanish striker

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like plenty we have had on here, some love him, some hate him...

Love/Hate

Hmmmm, mixed bag of comments on there – just wizzed through the 3 pages. Seems to have got a cult status similar to one Diego C has on here; possibly because he’s Spanish & has an exciting name – they call him ‘Gloria’ as a nickname BTW.

110% effort seems to be universally agreed by all; but some posters are hammering his ability (6ft2 but jumps at 5ft4 was one comment).

He’s had a few trials, and Motherwell signed him after he impressed in a trial game for them. Guess we’ll see if he impresses PD whilst he’s here, and take it from there if he signs. Its a lot of “If’s” at the moment though isn’t it?

16.08.06 - CERVERO GETS GO-AHEAD

Posted on: Wed 16 Aug 2006

OLDHAMATHLETIC.CO.UK can reveal that Spanish striker Diego Cervero has been CLEARED to play in the reserves' opening game of the season against Blackpool at Fleetwood Town, kicking off at 2pm today.

It was thought that the ex-Oviedo frontman would be forced to miss out due to a delay in gaining clearance. However, Chief Executive Alan Hardy has now received a fax from the Football Association allowing Cervero to play.

Keep checking oldhamathletic.co.uk for the final score, plus a full match report.

445225370_e2028539f7_o.jpg

Diego scores a bullet header against the Tangerines at Fleetwood

ah its updated online now

ATHLETIC could cast their eye over a Spanish striker as their quest for goals continues.

Esteban Casagolda, a 24-year-old forward who is a free agent following his release from Scottish Premier League outfit Motherwell, is set to be among the trialists vying to impress manager Paul Dickov, who prepares to embark on pre-season training at the end of the month.

Casagolda has spent most of his career with Belgian clubs FC Brussels, Diagem and RC Malines, before a successful trial period at Fir Park led to him being offered a one-year deal by Motherwell last summer.

A squad player, he was released by the Scottish Cup finalists after making only three starts and failing to register a goal.

I've heard that it could be Juan Sheetdosplenti - he was seen at the final away game of the season at Swindon I believe...

Cervero was a bit :censored:e though when it came to the crunch. He knew it and changed his life, gotta tip my hat to him for that, mind.

Mind you, I don't know what grounds Shez had to not sign him and then shortly after sign Maheta Malango and later Luigi Glombard.

Diego scored 16 goals last season in Spanish Segunda B.

Come on Paul, he can't be worse than Feeney!

Mind you, I don't know what grounds Shez had to not sign him and then shortly after sign Maheta Malango and later Luigi Glombard.

Because when it comes to strikers Shez is 'effin clueless

Beckett

Malongo

Glombard

Ricketts

Not giving O'Grady a chance

Dropping Lewi when he had finally started to realise a bit of potential

Ormerod

Kabba

HIs treatment of Davies

Windass

Then not signing Davies and Smalley up for Chesterfield despite them being worth 40 goals between them….

Etc, etc, etc

Biggest bugbear was starting the season with four recognised strikers in 08/09, yet by the time a cup replay v Cheltenham came along we scratching around for a striker after loaning two out and his loanee he brought in not being eligible..he really was a tit!

His actual words on not signing Cervero at a forum, broadcast were "..cos he's :censored:!"

Edited by oafcprozac

Malongo, now he was :censored:. Him (and a few others) aside i can see what we were trying with our forwards under shez. If ricketts had come good, davies not been mental or hughes gone to the dogs we could have had players to shoot us to promotion, we cant afford the ones who are supposed to guarantee it.

Malongo, now he was :censored:. Him (and a few others) aside i can see what we were trying with our forwards under shez. If ricketts had come good, davies not been mental or hughes gone to the dogs we could have had players to shoot us to promotion, we cant afford the ones who are supposed to guarantee it.

Remember going into that season with Ricketts Davies and Hughes with people saying we have the best strike-force in the division and will strike fear into any defence..

Because when it comes to strikers Shez is 'effin clueless

Beckett

Malongo

Glombard

Ricketts

Not giving O'Grady a chance

Dropping Lewi when he had finally started to realise a bit of potential

Ormerod

Kabba

HIs treatment of Davies

Windass

Then not signing Davies and Smalley up for Chesterfield despite them being worth 40 goals between them….

Etc, etc, etc

Biggest bugbear was starting the season with four recognised strikers in 08/09, yet by the time a cup replay v Cheltenham came along we scratching around for a striker after loaning two out and his loanee he brought in not being eligible..he really was a tit!

His actual words on not signing Cervero at a forum, broadcast were "..cos he's :censored:!"

Beckett?

Decided he didn't want to sign him, cost us promotion in 06/07. Beckett or Glombard in the run-in?

To be fair, I thought Shez was vindicated in not signing Beckett given how Porter stepped up to the plate. Warney chipped in with some goals as well that season. And if we had given Beckett the wages he would have wanted then would we have been in the position we were to sign Gregan?

Also didn't Hudds give Beckett a 3 year deal, and they paid a fee for him. His last season with us seemed to be the last good season he had, maybe we dodged a bullet. High earner and a long contract and he was shot to :censored: the season after.

Edited by PlayItLivo

To be fair, I thought Shez was vindicated in not signing Beckett given how Porter stepped up to the plate. Warney chipped in with some goals as well that season. And if we had given Beckett the wages he would have wanted then would we have been in the position we were to sign Gregan?

Also didn't Hudds give Beckett a 3 year deal, and they paid a fee for him. His last season with us seemed to be the last good season he had, maybe we dodged a bullet. High earner and a long contract and he was shot to :censored: the season after.

But then Shez signed and paid off within less than a year Dabo, Wood and Rocastle. His obsession with stock-piling average midfielders then not playig them was clueless.

Beckett would have paid for himself. He didn't want big money just a set amount over a contract, Hudds offered him that set amount over three years, we could have done that. It was a gamble but is goals to games ratio was the most prolific we have had at this club for decades….24 goals in 36 starts. Warne chipped in yes but him and Porter scored three goals between February 11-The end of the season, Porter spent a long spell in and out of the team from January, it was a no-brainer for me. Particularly when we started the season without a recognised centre-forward.

But then Shez signed and paid off within less than a year Dabo, Wood and Rocastle. His obsession with stock-piling average midfielders then not playig them was clueless.

Beckett would have paid for himself. He didn't want big money just a set amount over a contract, Hudds offered him that set amount over three years, we could have done that. It was a gamble but is goals to games ratio was the most prolific we have had at this club for decades….24 goals in 36 starts. Warne chipped in yes but him and Porter scored three goals between February 11-The end of the season, Porter spent a long spell in and out of the team from January, it was a no-brainer for me. Particularly when we started the season without a recognised centre-forward.

AND Porter and Beckett had been a blossoming partnership the season before, before POrter's season was curtailed by injury. AND he had some fun alongside Warne during the good run that year in February and March…

he signed Malango before Cervero came along

don't forget Lewis Grabban came along after we dropped Diego