Hazell leaves Latics

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think he's ready to play regulary in the first team. He did do well last season but I'd someone more assured and experienced to be playing more regulary. No problems with him getting games but I don't think he should be relied upon so much so soon.

So using that philosophy Richard Graham, Danny Hall, Will Haining, Paul Warhurst et, etc weren't ready? But they stepped up to the plate. Throw the lad in, we have no choice - I don't fancy another Todd or Thompson…..

Tarky will start next season, mark my words - especially now Roobs has gone, it'll be Tarky and A N Other, remember Tarky first came in for Hazell but kept his place instead of Trotters, that says how highly PD rates him and trusts him

I just don't think he's ready to play regulary in the first team. He did do well last season but I'd someone more assured and experienced to be playing more regulary. No problems with him getting games but I don't think he should be relied upon so much so soon.

not overlly bothered about hazell,guarenteed to make at least 1 cock up a game and give away needless free kicks and pick up silly cards....he certainly wasnt a leader or vocal in anyway,when the going got tough last season he went into his shell and didnt lead the team...

hope we can get mvoto signed up,would be ideal....dont quite see how he is suseptable to injury considering he got hammered,and 9 out of 10 players would be out after a horrible challenge like he got,says more about the way he battled back and returned when his season would have been over...

whats happening with trottman???? if he is still here or gets back to something like he was when we sold him then him n maybe mvoto will do....gonna be a big big season for tarky this one,and he needs to be used wisely not just thrown in...

Don't get why loads of fans love such an error prone centre back. Whilst not exactly wanting to defend 'Brill' I can't help but feel some of the mistakes he made were a result of being put under undue pressure as a result of generally unforced errors made by Hazell. I can think of many examples but the one's that really stood out came against dogdale at home, he was terrible that day and gifted them lot 3 points that I have still not been allowed to forget.

Don't get why loads of fans love such an error prone centre back. Whilst not exactly wanting to defend 'Brill' I can't help but feel some of the mistakes he made were a result of being put under undue pressure as a result of generally unforced errors made by Hazell. I can think of many examples but the one's that really stood out came against dogdale at home, he was terrible that day and gifted them lot 3 points that I have still not been allowed to forget.

i agree. poor poor player.

hereford away, all 5 goals his fault, swindon at home when he did his usual trip over the ball, r9chdale took the biscuit though.

Edited by alex_balls

And I've never understood why so many label Reuben as so error prone. Where has this 'at least 1 a game' come from? For the most part RH is a solid L1 CB, who on the odd occasion made the odd error from time to time. But so did /does all of the other CB's at our level.

IMO we'll struggle to replace him with a like-for-like L1 CB on our budget. I think we'll miss him actually.

I can just see us being disappointed with M'Voto; surely he'll get a better wage offer from lots of others?

Wouldn't mind Tarky in there - I would worry about fatigue with him doing the whole season but I'd not be too disappointed if he was 1 of the 2 CB come Aug?

And I've never understood why so many label Reuben as so error prone. Where has this 'at least 1 a game' come from? For the most part RH is a solid L1 CB, who on the odd occasion made the odd error from time to time. But so did /does all of the other CB's at our level.

IMO we'll struggle to replace him with a like-for-like L1 CB on our budget. I think we'll miss him actually.

I can just see us being disappointed with M'Voto; surely he'll get a better wage offer from lots of others?

Wouldn't mind Tarky in there - I would worry about fatigue with him doing the whole season but I'd not be too disappointed if he was 1 of the 2 CB come Aug?

Not for the first time Sly you seem to talk most sense on this thread.

I'm happy for Tarky to be given a chance but we will need 3 centre halfs rather than 2 as I wouldn't expect Tarky at his age to be able to the whole season without a dip in form.

For those of you who now think all our problems in defence are solved because Hazel has gone then your being naive and probably haven't been watching latics for very long. I had a hell of alot more confidence with Reuben hazel in our team than the likes of Guy Branston, Terrell Forbes, Stuart Thom, Rob Scott, Mark Hotte, Mark arber, John Thompson to name but a few. Its not like we are going to replace him with Gerard Pique is it.

Edited by GlossopLatic

So using that philosophy Richard Graham, Danny Hall, Will Haining, Paul Warhurst et, etc weren't ready? But they stepped up to the plate. Throw the lad in, we have no choice - I don't fancy another Todd or Thompson…..

Tarky will start next season, mark my words - especially now Roobs has gone, it'll be Tarky and A N Other, remember Tarky first came in for Hazell but kept his place instead of Trotters, that says how highly PD rates him and trusts him

and rightly so.

the only way to get out of this division with no money is to gamble on kids coming on in leaps and bounds & the only way they'll do that is by playing every game.

that said, I don't see what Tarky has done wrong at any stage - he's looked solid enough to me when I've seen him. likes to bring the ball out aswell which we've been lacking for a long time

Bit of a contradiction really saying you dont get where the idea Hazell is prone to make mistakes comes from, then saying he does make the odd error?

This is the best news we could of had tbh. As has been mentioned he costs us to many goals/games with his clumsyness and diddydadling. He was not a leader and he was one of the reasons we could not defend a lead last season with his crumbling.

We can and probably will get a better and more stable centre half/leader with the same budget we was offering him.

Id be very happy with Mvoto Tarky and experienced centre half as our choice next season.

Bit of a contradiction really saying you dont get where the idea Hazell is prone to make mistakes comes from, then saying he does make the odd error?

This is the best news we could of had tbh. As has been mentioned he costs us to many goals/games with his clumsyness and diddydadling. He was not a leader and he was one of the reasons we could not defend a lead last season with his crumbling.

We can and probably will get a better and more stable centre half/leader with the same budget we was offering him.

Id be very happy with Mvoto Tarky and experienced centre half as our choice next season.

I agree he was no captain but Sly has a good point, he did a decent Job at L1 level and we will find it hard to replace him when you consider the long line of Guff centre halfs we have had in recent times a hell of alot worse than him, Thompson, Branston, Stam (class but always injured!)Todd, Jarrett (may be a little harsh with that one!)

we will find it hard to replace a guy with that much experience.

Its not a contradiction though is it oldhamoafc if you re-read my post. I'm not denying that he did make a mistake from time to time; what I'm questioning is where the 'at least 1 error a game that costs us' arguement has come from?

For the years that I've watched him, Reuben has been a very solid performer for us.

I happen to agree that he wasn't the best of choices for captain, but that wasn't what I was refering to.

I just don't get people celebrating losing a player when it will undoubtedly weaken us next term??

Its not a contradiction though is it oldhamoafc if you re-read my post. I'm not denying that he did make a mistake from time to time; what I'm questioning is where the 'at least 1 error a game that costs us' arguement has come from?

For the years that I've watched him, Reuben has been a very solid performer for us.

I happen to agree that he wasn't the best of choices for captain, but that wasn't what I was refering to.

I just don't get people celebrating losing a player when it will undoubtedly weaken us next term??

Every single league 1 player will make mistakes from time to time , thats the reason they are in this league

That's my point Ryan; he was no better but certainly no worse really than any other CB in our league; bar the annomolies like Fonte (who Saints but for a cool million).

I just don't get this arguement that all of a sudden; we are somehow now better off defensively with Reuben leaving; when clearly we aren't.

I don't see how we'll be able to replace him like-for-like on our budget??

We now need 2 CB's bringing in; instead of 1 had Reuben stayed.

We are weaker and we will be weaker unless we magic up 2 Championship standard CB's from thin air....

I just don't get this arguement that all of a sudden; we are somehow now better off defensively with Reuben leaving; when clearly we aren't.

It's not that we're better off, because we're a head down, but that leads on to the next sentence: personally, I firmly believe we could easily pick someone up with a similar level of ability on our budget.

That's my point Ryan; he was no better but certainly no worse really than any other CB in our league; bar the annomolies like Fonte (who Saints but for a cool million).

We now need 2 CB's bringing in; instead of 1 had Reuben stayed.

We are weaker and we will be weaker unless we magic up 2 Championship standard CB's from thin air....

sorry yes didnt mean to sound like I was disagreeing I was agreeing with you.

I bet M'voto will make the odd mistake aswell whoever he plays for

See what you are getting at Zorro; but if we do indeed pick up another free transfer L1 / L2 CB; then people need to realistic enough to see that that player will come in and be 'a reuben'.

It'll be interesting to see how much room new CB will be given for the odd mistake / howler before realise that Reuben really wasn't that bad of a player.

If CB's at our level didn't make mistakes; they'd be playing higher up; simple as.

Yep - reuben did indeed make the odd mistake - but over the season so did K Lee, Paul Black, M'Voto, Trotman, Evina, Winchester, Todd and Brill. It wasn't all Reuben, and it wasn't every game.

See what you are getting at Zorro; but if we do indeed pick up another free transfer L1 / L2 CB; then people need to realistic enough to see that that player will come in and be 'a reuben'.

Indeed, and we obviously should aim a little higher. But the fact of the matter is that players like him are ten-a-penny, and as such I doubt anyone will miss him.

Just the fact of squad & team continuity isn't it?

I thought if we could at least keep most of the 'offered players' again for this year - it would save starting fresh with another bunch of new players.

Players come. & players go - well aware of that. Hope Reuben finds his 2 year deal somewhere and I wish him all the best; merely trying to balance all the celebration posts of him leaving with some realistic (I hope?) Points on his actual ability......

NO!

It's good news that we haven't the money to give our captain a two year contract.

We may not have the money but he's 32 I wouldn't give anyone a two year deal at that age. A 1+1 deal (he gets the extra year if he plays enough games) would be fine but a straight 2 year deal NO.

Cheers Reuben, thanks for the cracker against Leeds and for the times you've put a decent centre-forward in your pocket.

and I suppose that they are all queuing up to come to Latics?

I'd rather have Rubes than another journeyman. Better the devil you know if you ask me than chopping and changing personnel. I agree that the contract offer was correct and that he was prone to error. i don't agree that we can simply pluck someone from the PFA list and they step in and do a job on a par with Rubes