Hazell leaves Latics

That's cool. I think there are a number of players on there that we could conceivably sign and they'd do a similar job. Happy to hold my hands up if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine come the end of the season any of us will be lamenting the loss of Reuben Hazell.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, me neither but I am surprised at the delight many fans seem to be taking in the fact he hasn't signed when in reality all we will be getting in is a replacement of similar and very unlikely to be better quality. I feel would would benefit from continuity as opposed to wholesale changes.

Fair play to Rubes he has served his time and been a reasonable servant. I'd be more than happy if we get a replacement under the same circumstances and with a similar service record.

I think some people forget how very good he was for a long spell after he first joined us - in fact up until i turned to Mr Tulsehill during the OASIS cultural but football unrelated away day at Luton and said that he never makes mistakes. Not so solid afterwards but as said we have had an awful lot worse in recent years.

A very decent defender at this level and for the money I cannot see who fans think we are going to attract to replace him.

He knew his job, had some pace and rarely injured. Of course there were better at this level and boy are there are a lot worse - I hope his replacement doesn't fall into the latter category.

Anyway, on with your happy hunt for Baresi.

aljofree

arber

branston

forbes

jarret

swailes?

thompson

todd

trotman (second time)

All defenders who have been around at similar times hazell has been at the club - pretty sure i'd prefer Rubes in my side over every one of those. Yes i'm fully aware of the mistakes he made - but i would have happily had him round the club next year.

Has it made us weaker? At the moment.....yes but that could change depending on who comes in, but in our league, with our budget - i'd be suprised if it was somebody better.

Amazing Revelations in tomorrows MEN

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/oldham_athletic/s/1424425_im-gutted-at-leaving-oldham-athletic-says-reuben-hazell

Oldham's departing captain Reuben Hazell has revealed he is 'absolutely gutted' to be leaving Boundary Park.

The 32-year-old centre-half, who has played more than 150 games for the club, turned down a one-year contract offer and is now seeking new employers.

Hazell, who was made captain last season, explained: “I'm the leader of the team, not just at the back and I thought I was pretty integral and deserved a rise.

“I wasn't asking for much, a couple of hundred quid a week extra and a two-year contract. At this stage of my career I have to look out for myself and I have a family to think about.

“The manager backed me but then came back and said the board weren't having it and had offered me a year and an extra £100 a week. I was absolutely gutted.

“Apparently they've got a new policy of not giving more than a year contract to anyone over 30.

“They have their reasons and that's fair enough. Obviously I have no resale value but I thought I was worth it.”

Factor

Hazell, who has spoken to other clubs, revealed that Oldham's well-publicised financial troubles had no bearing on his decision.

“We've been paid on time for the last couple of months and I would have loved to have ended my career here,” he said.

“The deciding factor was when they said it was only going to be a year. I thought I was worth more than that.”

Hazell is now up against scores of other out-of-contract players.

“It's a rat race out there, it really is,” he said.

“But I've got a couple of good years left in me and I back my own ability.”

Despite his disappointment Hazell says he bears no ill-feeling towards the Boundary Park outfit.

“It's been a great four years and I've got a lot of friends there. The fans always backed me and I'll miss them.

“ I'm going to go back in to say goodbye to everyone from the laundry women to the club shop staff.”

He also believes the next season will be a tough one for Paul Dickov's men.

“They have a reduced budget but they have got the right man for the job and he has the right team behind him,” he said.

“I've seen the fixtures and they need to get off to a good start.”

What happens if he is still unattached by Sep and we dont have a centre-half in? Would he swallow pride call club and ask if the deal is still on the table

I belive within 2 weeks he will be at another club, he speaks highly of PD but Hazell has to ask himself if its not a money decision is he really going to go to a bigger and better club??

Good luck to him either way he aint as bad as people are making out

Give him a 2 year deal you shít!

Give him a one year with an option for another year if he plays well. No point getting sentimental about things we're short of cash and should be watching what we spend.

I'm with the club on this one. Obviously gutted for Rubes but at the same time he got offered a contract with an extra £5,200 a year.

I'd have taken it and worked hard to get another contract the next year. Unless of course he has had a better offer which it doesn't look like he has had.

If Dickov thought he was that irreplacable and vital to the team, I have do doubts whatsoever that Dickov would have seen to it he would have been offered the extra 200 a week and if not a two year deal, then certainly a one year deal with the option of a 2nd, or which triggered an extra year after so many appearances.

I am pretty sure he has his eye on one or two centre half's who he thinks are at least as good as, if not better than Hazell.

Hazell turned down a contract because he wants security for 2 years.

now he has nothing and admits its a rat race.

Fair enough it will be the right decision for him if he gets fixed up with a 2 year deal on more money somewhere but it could well backfire if he is still on the market come Christmas

Its like Mark Allott all over again isn't it? We offer a 1 year; player would sign no question but wants a 2 year.

Totally see both sides; club and players POVs.....a solution might have been the "jones" deal a 1 (2) year deal; triggered after a certain amount of appearances? But - the ship has sailed.

I liked Reuben, and he's been a decent player for us for the 4/5 years he's been here. Clearly a nice bloke, and I honestly hope he gets fixed up somewhere soon on the 2 years he's looking for. All the best Reuben.

Its like Mark Allott all over again isn't it? We offer a 1 year; player would sign no question but wants a 2 year.

Totally see both sides; club and players POVs.....a solution might have been the "jones" deal a 1 (2) year deal; triggered after a certain amount of appearances? But - the ship has sailed.

I liked Reuben, and he's been a decent player for us for the 4/5 years he's been here. Clearly a nice bloke, and I honestly hope he gets fixed up somewhere soon on the 2 years he's looking for. All the best Reuben.

Yes Allott took a slight pay cut but a 2 year deal with the bindippers and i can understand that.

Also understand club's policy on over 30 year olds because if Hazell gets crocked first game we have a 2 year wage bill on our hands with no chance of getting any back ie younger player would probably get fit again so has some value to us.