Give Feeney a chance?

What do we reckon? 'Lean and mean' Feeney to be given a second chance? Or has his chance gone by last season? Personally, I expect goals given what's been said. But that means nothing if they're all for N.Ireland.

Can't help but notice the official is trying to create some hype around him.. A sign our strike targets aren't materialisng?

We'd be foolish not to give him a chance seeing as we don't exactly have an embarrasment of riches in the striking stakes.

as has been said before though he needs to put us first and Norn Ireland second. He needs a run also. Lets see what he can do if he remains injury free pre season unlike last year. He started to look more effective towards the end of the season and his experience and seniority is something that this squad needs.

As long as he puts a shift in we can start to put last seasons huge disapointment behind us.

He's lost 2 stone ? blimey

He added he has also cut out junk food admitting, with a young family, the temptation is to have a bag of crisps with them. He also says he loved nothing better that sitting down in the afternoon with a cup of tea and a bar of chocolate.

Feeney continued: "I realised I had to look after myself off the park and give myself every chance to do well this season.

"I was at the gym nearly every day and, looking back, I probably did too much as I have lost two stones.

"I wanted to get a head start of the other lads coming back. And it has been great to hear some of the boys patting me on the back and saying I am in great shape. Even the coaches have said I am flying.

"At the end of day I am paid to play football and it is not about running but what I do on the park.

"I want to give myself every opportunity to do well and I am hoping there will be a big difference to last season."

Just shows he didnt conduct himself properly last year. Wipe the slate clean and start again Warren

Well, it's not like we have a choice is it? He's here for another year, so there's no point in getting on the guy's back. After last season I doubt any of us have high hopes or expectations for him, so really any he contributes this season is a bonus.

Give him a chance - why not? - what have we to lose unless we can offload him.

I have to say fair play to the guy lost two stones and has come bad fitter than ever (down the gym most days) - shows he has made a effort to do domething this sason and may put in more effort this season as last year of the contact (I think)

However the question that remains is why was he two stones heavier last season was he not bothered (just take the money) - that probably speaks volumes to me.

I know he had injuries and during that time weight can be gain but his job is a footballer - so he should at all time be at his fitness peak or put the work in to get to it.

Many would have got rid of Furman after his first season, Porter too, sometimes it takes time for a player to fit into a club.

It can also help when new players join as it takes the "new boy" status away from last season's signees and makes them feel that they are actually part of the club.

He really needs to knock the international football on the head,he has a year left to prove himself not only at Latics but at other clubs after us,cause on current form I don't think agents will be knocking dickovs door down to speak to him

Basically he led a lazy lifestyle for a footballer. Eating crap and not keeping fit. He should have had his wages docked. I'm suprised he wasn't given a talking to. Thought weight, bmi, etc was managed?

However, its good to see a change in attitude and appearance. 2 stone is a hell of a lot. I'm expecting him to chase down every ball and make an effort to get on the end of everything we send into the box. I will give him another chance. It also sets a good example to the others.

If he doesn't start the season with a bagful of goals I'd reckon that's his career - international and otherwise - down the tubes.

So it is in his interest to get his act together - not just the club's.

I'd say the final verdict on him (for those who haven't already decided he's a waste of time) will be delivered after three games of next season.

Feeney has never been a top scorer, I might be wrong but the most he has scored in one season is 15 I think. So we can't expect too much from him but he would be the perferct foil for Ried or a another. I just wonder whether we could think about another position for him, he looks to me like he could do a job in centre mid.

Bets anyone?

0-5 goals

6-10 goals

11+ (I don't think he will score more, but then again he knows that I think he is :censored:e, so maybe that spurr him on a bit.....wink.gif

You mean 1-5 goals? 0-5 goals seems like a decent bet in that still win if he doesnt score any :wink:

Feeney has never been a top scorer, I might be wrong but the most he has scored in one season is 15 I think. So we can't expect too much from him but he would be the perferct foil for Ried or a another. I just wonder whether we could think about another position for him, he looks to me like he could do a job in centre mid.

Would that position suit his back to goal stance???????

I didn’t think he had 2 stone to loose from last year? What’s he done; cut off an arm or something?

I like the fact that he has worked hard during his ‘break’......but in fairness; if he hadn’t then surely questions would have had to be asked by the club / management??

Positive noises coming from him (Feeney) about the coming season & his commitment – but we’ve heard that last pre-season from him too; and look how that worked out.

Regardless of him talking up his fitness, his goals for this season & his new attitude; I just happen to think that it would be best if a parting of ways were to happen; as I think it’d be best for player & club alike. That said; he’ll get my vocal backing during games if he remains with us; I just don’t see it working that’s all. Happy to be proved wrong (as that will mean good performances & goals from him so happy days) but I just can’t see it.

The difference between Feeney and Reid, is that I geniunely believe that Feeney actually gives a sh1t.

erm nah from what ive been told hes bit of a joker and a prat - fair nuff it takes all sorts but giving a toss? only when his contracts up