trouble in Tottenham

creepy

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work on oxford street in manchester - got the bus to Shudehill this morning and walked through the arndale. The arndale is quiet, apart from a bigger police presence you'd hardly know. One entrance is shut and obviously Miss Selfridge on market street is a mess. Portland street has a few windows boarded up as does Oxford street, the cash point at tesco has been cleaned out. I was talking to a woman who works in the Sainsbury's who says looters cleared out the booze and fags from there last night - but you'd not tell now. Everything was re-stocked.

It took me 2 hours to get home last night, and could do without that again. There was a bigger variety of age groups at it yesterday than were reported on the news and there wasn't the organisation from the groups that the police and press would have you believe. From what I saw it was opportunism and a free for all.

I work on oxford street in manchester - got the bus to Shudehill this morning and walked through the arndale. The arndale is quiet, apart from a bigger police presence you'd hardly know. One entrance is shut and obviously Miss Selfridge on market street is a mess. Portland street has a few windows boarded up as does Oxford street, the cash point at tesco has been cleaned out. I was talking to a woman who works in the Sainsbury's who says looters cleared out the booze and fags from there last night - but you'd not tell now. Everything was re-stocked.

It took me 2 hours to get home last night, and could do without that again. There was a bigger variety of age groups at it yesterday than were reported on the news and there wasn't the organisation from the groups that the police and press would have you believe. From what I saw it was opportunism and a free for all.

Watching the news last night, looked as if there were a good few older looking blokes just in normal clothes hanging about, watching to see if those kids managed to get into Jessops, possibly waiting for the opportunity to get in there themselves. Everytime the police appeared and the kids ran off the older fellers would saunter off in a different direction.

From the videos I saw the vast majority where kids... 12 to 18 I would say...

I think the experience varies from area to area, person to person. In my experience (I finished at 6 yesterday and made my way up portland street for a bus on piccadilly gardens) There were a lot of kids mooching about doing very little, mainly watching. The tool who shouted "Lets do ancoats Toys'r'us" was about 30.

As an aside...

The first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon.

Edited by pukka

As Pukka points out, this report is extraordinary:

BBC reporter at Highbury Magistrates Court John Brain tells BBC 5 live the first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon.

Hopefully they'll cart the silly bint of to crown court and she'll get sent down for years.

More likely a 6 month sentence at best. Probably suspended.

Defo going to Crown Court - meaning more than six months in prison.

They're pushing them all through the Crown Courts and refusing as much bail as possible from what I've seen?

I'm not really clear on the Court's and how they work in terms of sentencing etc, can you explain it?

They're pushing them all through the Crown Courts and refusing as much bail as possible from what I've seen?

I'm not really clear on the Court's and how they work in terms of sentencing etc, can you explain it?

According to 5 live, Looting isn't a crown court offence - rioting is. They are trying to charge people with a riot rather than looting.

The way I've got it in my head is that magistrates can't hand out sentences of more than six months.

doesnt mean it is certain you are going to jail because you are being sentenced in a Crown court

if they plead guilty then the likelihood will be community service and a fine

wouldnt suprise me if they get the riot charge dropped and plead guilty for violent disorder or something, which will carry a lesser sentence

Edited by creepy

agreed but thats sad and down to CPS. They dont have to agree to lesser charge if can prove riot do they test of resolve sentence SHOULD be harsh for many. CCTV is a big thing the lad on the Miss Selfridge vid should get 10 years utter calculated act. Personally I think its not enough. That why they feel they can do it.

The 31 year old teacher now ex teacher !!!!!!! grief same LONG SENTENCE.

its all down to bargaining with the CPS isnt it, if they are on camera rioting then they might aswell plead guilty, even that will give them a lesser sentence than going to trial and being found guilty at the end.

correct six months via magistrates 10 years through crown court.

Also cant use a first offence - defence as carries up to 10 years. Proof is being in a group of 12 or more for Riot. Also uninsured people can claim if its a riot...In fact they can sue the police!!!! if proof police did not take reasonable steps ie stood back and watched. (not my view by the way) Source a barister on holiday with us.

Was talking to a Cop over here. He said "You brits are too nice we would shoot them."

Wiki.. In recent times people have rarely been charged with a Section 1 offence (Riot) in England and Wales. This may be because the local police service are statutorily liable to pay compensation for losses and damage caused by riot. The best known example of this is the Poll tax demonstrations of 1990 where nobody was charged under Section 1. All were charged as though a collection of violent disorder offences had just happened to take place in one location.

Riot is an indictable offence under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005, triable on indictment before a Crown court, and punishable by up to ten years imprisonment and/or a fine.[8]

Amazing what you learn on here. Cheers.

correct six months via magistrates 10 years through crown court.

Also cant use a first offence - defence as carries up to 10 years. Proof is being in a group of 12 or more for Riot. Also uninsured people can claim if its a riot...In fact they can sue the police!!!! if proof police did not take reasonable steps ie stood back and watched. (not my view by the way) Source a barister on holiday with us.

Was talking to a Cop over here. He said "You brits are too nice we would shoot them."

Wiki.. In recent times people have rarely been charged with a Section 1 offence (Riot) in England and Wales. This may be because the local police service are statutorily liable to pay compensation for losses and damage caused by riot. The best known example of this is the Poll tax demonstrations of 1990 where nobody was charged under Section 1. All were charged as though a collection of violent disorder offences had just happened to take place in one location.

Riot is an indictable offence under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005, triable on indictment before a Crown court, and punishable by up to ten years imprisonment and/or a fine.[8]

didnt read this at first

pretty laughable that the police would be liable - joke

It was on BBC world earlier something like an 1856 act that is rarely known but active. Cars are covered but 3rd party insurance doesnt as you might expect. All that you have to prove is 12 involved in violence.

i think its the same for affray 12 or over, i can see a lot of them pleading guilty to that

pretty laughable that the police would be liable - joke

If it encourages the old bill to protect property, perhaps the Act has some sense.

The policy of "do nothing now and nick 'em on CCTV evidence later" allows more damage to be done and has encouraged copycat events this week.