Chris Taylor

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing Taylor would be a major blow.

All I could think on Saturday was how much better we would be doing if Stephens was in that side. All that was missing was someone putting their foot on the ball in midfield and getting it moving.

Sheffield United were terrified of Taylor constantly backing off. I can't even remember them putting a tackle in on him (legal tackle)

Correct. As predictable as he is sometimes, people do back off when he's running at them, particularly at this level, so he creates problems. We've not many other options going forwards so I think we should fight tooth and nail to hold onto him.

Think of all the times the opposition fans boo him and give him stick. When do we ever give a crap player stick?? It's always the decent ones....

If he went it would be a disaster....

Edited by Snookmeister

The chris moore era?

Exceptional circumstances.

You asked the question; "When are we ever going to do a deal when we think we've come out on top?" - granted, we got completely screwed over with regards to transfers during those few weeks when Moore pulled all his cash out, but that was all down to him. Apart from that, I think the club have generally done business on the transfer front quite well.

I'd say Eardley went for less than he should have - that's the transfer that sticks in my mind where we've received less than we should have IMO.

The Chris Moore era fire sale was situational; so players like Fitz Hall going for £275K and Armstrong for £200K were galling but totally understandable given the extreme circumstances of us being in admin.

I think we do well (or have done) in the transfer market most of the time......for every Eardley where it can be argued we under-sold; there are a couple of Trotman's and Spencer's where we did very well indeed.....

I'd say Eardley went for less than he should have - that's the transfer that sticks in my mind where we've received less than we should have IMO.

This is the one that has split opinion agoungst the fans, but you can understand why the club cashed in on a player who I think only had a year left on his contract.

I also still think he's over acheived greatly in the last couple of years and will be back in this division sooner rather than later with Blackpool or not.

(Great penalty during the week too....!)

This is the one that has split opinion agoungst the fans, but you can understand why the club cashed in on a player who I think only had a year left on his contract.

I also still think he's over acheived greatly in the last couple of years and will be back in this division sooner rather than later with Blackpool or not.

(Great penalty during the week too....!)

Sunderland are apparently interested in Eardley. I'd be surprised to see him back at this level anytime soon.

He does / has split opinions; your right about that.

I felt Eardley showed all the signs, when he was here, of being able to play at a higher level than L1. He's obviously gone on the show that with Blackpool.

For me; if you look at right backs from mid to low Premiership teams - IMO Eardley is no better but certainly no worse than them - I'm talking about the likes of Phil Bardsley, Sam Ricketts, Emerson Boyce et all.

I think, when we sold him, we should have looked to have put another £100K on his fee; to make nearer the Half Million mark I and plenty of other rated him at.

Sunderland are apparently interested in Eardley. I'd be surprised to see him back at this level anytime soon.

Anyone who saw him in as Captain in the Lasher's midfield at Hillsborough the other night will agree that he'll soon be back in the Prem, people forget when they were berating him that he came into the first team having just turned 17, he was Captain at 19 and we sold him when he was 20…….he was also a full-international at 18 and won promotion to the Premier League aged 21….

Yes he hit the odd wayward one, but was definitely one of the finest crossers of the ball we've had at full-back in years...

Holloway has had to come out in the press already telling the Blackpool fans to get off Eardleys back

Thats because on the Blackpool forums some people were saying that Eardley didnt want to play in the championship and he was unhappy at having to take a drop in wages, contract talks are on going.

He does / has split opinions; your right about that.

I felt Eardley showed all the signs, when he was here, of being able to play at a higher level than L1. He's obviously gone on the show that with Blackpool.

For me; if you look at right backs from mid to low Premiership teams - IMO Eardley is no better but certainly no worse than them - I'm talking about the likes of Phil Bardsley, Sam Ricketts, Emerson Boyce et all.

I think, when we sold him, we should have looked to have put another £100K on his fee; to make nearer the Half Million mark I and plenty of other rated him at.

Since when is Neal Eardley as good as Phil Bardsley?? Also why keep using semi colons especially where they shouldnt be...

So just like Eardley and Stephens before him, is it now Taylor's turn to be the good player idiots have decided is now crap?

agreed. Were already missing stephens badly, how we would cope without taylor...

Edited by Aspulatic

So just like Eardley and Stephens before him, is it now Taylor's turn to be the good player idiots have decided is now crap?

not at all - this is the problem with this board; narrow-minded morons who, as soon as someone DARES to disagree or see things differently regarding someone who is 'oldham through and through' - they are classed as an idiot.

I, along with many others it seems, do not and have not stated that Chris is not a good player - he simply does not do at times what he should do and could be so much better both individually and for the team if he was coached and used differently.

He is a RW by trade and that is where he should play, end of IMO.

As a LW he is neither fantastic or bad for us, just a decent league one player. If sold for £400k people state it would be a 'disaster' and 'the end of oldham athletic, we'd be down' - no we wouldn't. Football always moves on, players move on - we would simply get someone else in, just like we have done for the past 30 years.

He is good, but would he be badly missed the way he currently plays? No i don't think so.

Edited by shefflatic

not at all - this is the problem with this board; narrow-minded morons who, as soon as someone DARES to disagree or see things differently regarding someone who is 'oldham through and through' - they are classed as an idiot.

I, along with many others it seems, do not and have not stated that Chris is not a good player - he simply does not do at times what he should do and could be so much better both individually and for the team if he was coached and used differently.

As a LW he is neither fantastic or bad for us, just a decent league one player. If sold for £400k people state it would be a 'disaster' and 'the end of oldham athletic, we'd be down' - no we wouldn't. Football always moves on, players move on - we would simply get someone else in, just like we have done for the past 30 years.

He is good, but would he be badly missed the way he currently plays? No i don't think so.

Wiwhout his 11 goals last season we'd of been relegated, Goalscoring midfielders are a commodity and we aint going to spend any money to replace him... Would be a massive loss in my opinion.

Name one player we could reastically bring in to replace him, who would add as much/more to the side. 'Cos i'm struggling

Wiwhout his 11 goals last season we'd of been relegated, Goalscoring midfielders are a commodity and we aint going to spend any money to replace him... Would be a massive loss in my opinion.

regardless of ability debates, he has 1 year left - if he isn't going to sign another deal then we as a club need to sell him now or in Jan to get some cash in for him, so he could well be off regardless.

The club then either spends any money on a replacement given as you rightly state, he is one of our better players, or the club gets a loan or 2 in or promotes one of the kids and uses the money for the club and its long term finances.

I am sure SC/AH are not that naive to know that should CT go he would need replacing. But if the club did decide not to invest money in a replacement then that's their choice - as fans we can do nowt about it and would have to get on with it and if we were to go down as a result, then we go down and on SC/AH's head be it.

Name one player we could reastically bring in to replace him, who would add as much/more to the side. 'Cos i'm struggling

go on, what does he add?

crossing? No

Passing? No

Shooting ability? no great shakes

Beating a man? No

Anticipation when on the attack and of other players? given he is supposidly a championship player, No.

Dead easy to read on the LW - stand in front of him when he cuts in and block him off, simple.

He began his career on the RW and took Forest to shreds beating players and crossing the ball - LW has ruined him.

Get him on the RW, coach him to beat a man and whip a cross over - THAT IS HIS JOB.

I am sure there are young players out there (Connor Hughes in our reserves is one example) who get the ball, take their man on and whip crosses over.

Take those blinkers off and just watch Taylor in games and what he does and doesn't/should do as a winger - far little then you'd think.

Pace but not much else.