he did get the inventive Reuben Reuben Reuben , chant !

I was one of many in the MSP who were rockin' the "Reuben, Reuben, Reuben" chant after the control & volley....and after numerous runs to close down the defenders too. He got plenty of chants; just not very original or good ones!! :grin:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted before that i got no interest in making a player a boo boy, suggestions to the contrary are a load of bollocks. It implies i want dickov to sign :censored: players, and somehow revel in their :censored:ness; and misses the point. Of the two games i've seen - Against sheff utd, reid was awful. Simple. Yesterday he played well, credit to the lad. I said after the first game he didn't compete, his hold play was sloppy and above all his attitude was the pits. Yesterday his first touch was much better, he showed lovely vision with some of his passing, and when he lost the ball he hassled it back. Much, much better performance.

Just because i come on here and i say i thought he was piss poor in a game, dosen't mean i want him hounded out of the club, or that i dont want him to succeed, Or that i decide before the next game that i will get my boo boy comments ready. In the time he's been at the club, he shown glimpses of really good feet, lovely vision and awareness, and can finish- notts county away sticks in the mind. On the other hand, last season and sheff united there was a lot of huffing and puffing, a lack of desire, and his general play very untidy.

If he can keep yesterday up, which we all want, then happy days. If he reverts to what i've seen in the majority of his time at the club, then id rather give someone else go.

Good post - what we have seen from Reid this season is a marked improvement. He looks like he has quick feet and a quick brain on the pitch. And let's not forget that he took a drop in salary to play which shows his desire. Let's hope it continues as he has something to offer this season. Not the best taken penalty on Saturday though...

To pick up on your other point about players coming in for stick when they perform badly - it all depends on how the criticism is laid at them - take Winchester as an example. On Saturday he was poor in the first half - caught in possession two or three times and hit some wayward passes. He rightly came in for some calls of exasperation from both PD and myself... (ooh - get me..)

Second half he had sorted himself out and looked a great prospect once more. :wink:

Some have yes and thats dissapointing

For me he's winning me over thats 3 in 5 matches they might all be penalties but if he stuck away 15 more then no problem with me. He showed a good touch yesterday on 1 occasion where he took a ball down from out the sky and hit a rasper that was turned round for a corner. The second when he put a quality slide rule pass through for morais and if Smith had been 7ft 5 rather than 6ft 7 it would have been 3-0.

His Body language is still that of being half arsed and abit moody looking which doesn't always go down well with the crowd but more of the same yesterday and I will put up with him looking like that.

Morais was flagged offside for this so even if Smith had put it in it would have been ruled out. Point still stands, nice ball from Reid to Morais.

Good post - what we have seen from Reid this season is a marked improvement. He looks like he has quick feet and a quick brain on the pitch. And let's not forget that he took a drop in salary to play which shows his desire. Let's hope it continues as he has something to offer this season. Not the best taken penalty on Saturday though...

To pick up on your other point about players coming in for stick when they perform badly - it all depends on how the criticism is laid at them - take Winchester as an example. On Saturday he was poor in the first half - caught in possession two or three times and hit some wayward passes. He rightly came in for some calls of exasperation from both PD and myself... (ooh - get me..)

Second half he had sorted himself out and looked a great prospect once more. :wink:

That Mr Dog, is the key point for me.

In all this Reid debate, that's the only thing I'd say isn't quite right from some of our fans.

At Scunny; there was a group of fans who from the 1st whistle to last gave Reid dogs abuse (pardon the pun!!) - and again on Sat, a couple of fans near me in the paddock who were shouting stick to Reid all game; no matter what he did (at one point they balled out Reid for a misplaced pass from Morais - I mean seriously; like they even look alike?).

That's the crux for me - I can take people giving out criticism if it's fair & balanced; heck I do that. What I can't take is when people have such a closed view that regardless of what is produced on the pitch; they will still moan, ball & abuse; purely because they have made their minds up about a player and won't budge.

Unfortunately, for some Reid appears to be the object of their vents this season - and from what I can tell about these people; no matter what he does; he'll continue to get it - and that's a shame isn't it?

Morais was flagged offside for this so even if Smith had put it in it would have been ruled out. Point still stands, nice ball from Reid to Morais.

From my perfect position to judge the offside (in the Chaddy End) that was one of three shocking offsides that lino gave on Saturday.

On each occasion nobody realised the flag was up until the move had finished because the possibility of a player being offside didn't cross anybody's mind.

Shocking.

At least I thought so at the time.

I've just accepted that certain players will come in for more criticism than others remember when Eardley was getting dogs abuse and we were losing 5-0 at Hereford and all the goals came down the opposite wing and every player from 1-11 had a shocker but I remember people coming on here and blaming the defeat on him. I remember when we played Hartlepool the same season and Craig Davies made a big impact after coming on off the bench after we went down to 10 men with his pace made up for having a man down, but someone came on here and slated him calling him lazy, it's a sheep mentality and every club has these people, my mate watches Utd and he says it's no different there with Darren Fletcher coming in for a lot of criticism

That Mr Dog, is the key point for me.

In all this Reid debate, that's the only thing I'd say isn't quite right from some of our fans.

At Scunny; there was a group of fans who from the 1st whistle to last gave Reid dogs abuse (pardon the pun!!) - and again on Sat, a couple of fans near me in the paddock who were shouting stick to Reid all game; no matter what he did (at one point they balled out Reid for a misplaced pass from Morais - I mean seriously; like they even look alike?).

That's the crux for me - I can take people giving out criticism if it's fair & balanced; heck I do that. What I can't take is when people have such a closed view that regardless of what is produced on the pitch; they will still moan, ball & abuse; purely because they have made their minds up about a player and won't budge.

Unfortunately, for some Reid appears to be the object of their vents this season - and from what I can tell about these people; no matter what he does; he'll continue to get it - and that's a shame isn't it?

Agree that this sort of behaviour will never go away - my approach is to counter the negativity by loudly applauding and praising the good stuff in a (ahem) louder than normal voice whilst looking in the general direction of the detractors - it certainly livens up the banter B)

Reuben, Reuben, Reuben got an airing from some of the main stand, after some good play in the first half on that side.

Yes he did, and i was one of them. it was after he plucked the ball out of thin air, turned and volleyed------ Lovely to watch, and wish it had gone in for his sake

he did get the inventive Reuben Reuben Reuben , chant !

I was one of many in the MSP who were rockin' the "Reuben, Reuben, Reuben" chant after the control & volley....and after numerous runs to close down the defenders too. He got plenty of chants; just not very original or good ones!! :grin:

Pleased to be wrong! Now if you could just shout louder next time... :wink:

cant see anyone moaning pal ?

Can just see alot of people (including myself) holding our hands up about Reid

Me to Razza, I didnt give him flack at the game but on here and to my mates I did question his attitude.

So far he has proved me wrong, with his flick and general play.

Long may it continue Rubes, hope you stick it up us, ( if you parden the expression)

Me to Razza, I didnt give him flack at the game but on here and to my mates I did question his attitude.

So far he has proved me wrong, with his flick and general play.

Long may it continue Rubes, hope you stick it up us, ( if you parden the expression)

Yep ,

Pre season I thought he was crap at Mossley but them improved so I was impressed, I was just worried again against Sheff as he looked to have slipped back into his old ways but since then he hasnt looked back

He's the new Pawel Abbott , top scorer with penalties ! :wink:

Sorry I am late to this thread, but I have to say that I know I haven't seen all the games this season (only managed the cup and 'Dale games), but I am still yet to be convinced by Ruben Reid yet.

I'll admit the turn and shot from distance in the first half from him on Saturday was good (though I'd also say its the sort of shot I'd expect my 'keeper to save 99 times out of a hundred) but I have not seen a massive amount of anything else that makes me think he is going to be a massive success yet.

I don't think he deserves the 'boo boy' badge he has seemingly earned already either (but we all know what our 'fans' can be like), but there are some basic things he is not doing that I'd expect from a half-decent striker.

Firstly I have yet to see him follow in on any long-distance shots from others - and whilst not missed an opportunity yet, eventually keepers will spill and its a basic I expect from a forward. This is far more important than the 'fan pleasing' headless chicken chasing ala Paul Warne (though I always liked Warney).

Secondly he almost never seems to gamble on running into the box to benefit from a flick on from SMith when the ball is played up to him. We have a 6ft 6" forward who will win a fiar share of flick-ons, and I'd expect his strike partner to be moving into the space ahead of him far more hoping to benefit from this - Reid always seems to be too far away and not expecting it for me.

3 goals looks great on the stats. But all penalties, not won by himself, and (being perhaps overly harsh) none of them were that convincing either and were in the 'savable' category if the keeper goes the right way.

The lad has potential and I hope that if he bags from open play his confidence, overall game improve and the 'booing' stops (or at least reduces).

Sorry I am late to this thread, but I have to say that I know I haven't seen all the games this season (only managed the cup and 'Dale games), but I am still yet to be convinced by Ruben Reid yet.

I'll admit the turn and shot from distance in the first half from him on Saturday was good (though I'd also say its the sort of shot I'd expect my 'keeper to save 99 times out of a hundred) but I have not seen a massive amount of anything else that makes me think he is going to be a massive success yet.

I don't think he deserves the 'boo boy' badge he has seemingly earned already either (but we all know what our 'fans' can be like), but there are some basic things he is not doing that I'd expect from a half-decent striker.

Firstly I have yet to see him follow in on any long-distance shots from others - and whilst not missed an opportunity yet, eventually keepers will spill and its a basic I expect from a forward. This is far more important than the 'fan pleasing' headless chicken chasing ala Paul Warne (though I always liked Warney).

Secondly he almost never seems to gamble on running into the box to benefit from a flick on from SMith when the ball is played up to him. We have a 6ft 6" forward who will win a fiar share of flick-ons, and I'd expect his strike partner to be moving into the space ahead of him far more hoping to benefit from this - Reid always seems to be too far away and not expecting it for me.

3 goals looks great on the stats. But all penalties, not won by himself, and (being perhaps overly harsh) none of them were that convincing either and were in the 'savable' category if the keeper goes the right way.

The lad has potential and I hope that if he bags from open play his confidence, overall game improve and the 'booing' stops (or at least reduces).

Against Yeovil it was his run and pass which led to Parker being followed, and i think the keepers have gone the right way on all of them yet they have all gone in? If a keeper goes the right way then all penalties are savable. Maybe Reid doesn't chase down long shots because thats not his game? Its clear that Reid is a player to play the ball into feet, and having him jump and chasing down defenders. We look more dangerous when we play it to Reid's feet and he will get into double figures this season if the ball is played into his feet.

Reid

Well done Rubes. Perhaps being released was the turning point. Good luck to him.

That is a good positive read from PD - hopefully boosting Reuben's confidence further by praising his recent form.

The bit about him becoming a leader is interesting. I said to my mate at the 'Dale game that Reid was noticably more vocal (well he was IMO) than I've ever seen him. He was shouting to his team-mates all game; only basic stuff like letting them know players were on / to follow their men…..but he was also encouraging and cajoling too. That is really good to see for me - it further dispells the myth that he "doesn't give a :censored:", clearly he does, and is now comfortable enough in his role in the side to start to become more vocal - and that can only be a positive for him & the side.

Keep it up Reuben!!

Also - on the penalty point, all 3 'Keeper went the right way but apart from the 'Dale one*, they we too well stuck & placed for them to get near enough them to save them *Jake Kean should have saved the last one; he seemed to dive over it.