Not forgetting, this is the first taste of regular first team football the lad has had in a long time.

Last season he came to us unfit, and was only getting 20 mins here and there, that would have done nothing for his fitness.

This time round he has had a pre season behind him, and in playing every week. I will make a prediction now that come January, there will be a thread on here regarding offering the lad another contract, or asking why he hasn't been offered a new contract, when he will have hit double figures.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jez, are we still doing the 'he's unfit' stuff; seriously?

He's a big lad, but he's not overweight and his fitness isn't an issue for me.

Quite simply he was outstanding yesterday. End of for me.

All that was good about us went through him. He dropped deep in the 2nd half to come and collect the ball and his touch, awareness and vision was top-draw IMO.

But, the disappointing thing is; some have made their minds up about him and won't now budge, regardless of how well he is doing.

But, the disappointing thing is; some have made their minds up about him and won't now budge, regardless of how well he is doing.

Some have yes and thats dissapointing

For me he's winning me over thats 3 in 5 matches they might all be penalties but if he stuck away 15 more then no problem with me. He showed a good touch yesterday on 1 occasion where he took a ball down from out the sky and hit a rasper that was turned round for a corner. The second when he put a quality slide rule pass through for morais and if Smith had been 7ft 5 rather than 6ft 7 it would have been 3-0.

His Body language is still that of being half arsed and abit moody looking which doesn't always go down well with the crowd but more of the same yesterday and I will put up with him looking like that.

All that was good about us went through him. He dropped deep in the 2nd half to come and collect the ball and his touch, awareness and vision was top-draw IMO.

Apparently looking for a new boo boy is hard work :wink:

One of, if not the best player on the pitch for me today. Fantastic touch and vision. Never going to be a goalscorer, and because he doesn't run about like a man possessed, never going to be accepted by a lot of fans either. But some of the through balls he played today were genuinally class, particularly the one to Morais that took two defenders out of the game. He's won me over today, definitely.

Glad that someone else agreed, had an argument with a few mates after the game.. I said he was my man of the match yesterday and was told that he was lazy and :censored:e..

Thought his link up play was first class to be fair, he needs it to feet, always asks for it to feet and when he gets it that way it sticks... We're discovering his game and when we use him in the right way he's decent.

Glad that someone else agreed, had an argument with a few mates after the game.. I said he was my man of the match yesterday and was told that he was lazy and :censored:e..

Thought his link up play was first class to be fair, he needs it to feet, always asks for it to feet and when he gets it that way it sticks... We're discovering his game and when we use him in the right way he's decent.

Wonder if they will still be saying that come january when he has 6 months remaining on his contract, can talk to other clubs..........and has hit double figures with his goals tally for the season.

Wonder if they will still be saying that come january when he has 6 months remaining on his contract, can talk to other clubs..........and has hit double figures with his goals tally for the season.

Agree i thought he was super better control and taking players on and passing was much much better.

Keep your wigs on chaps. That touch and shot from Reid was awesome, no arguments there. And yes that was probably his best game for us but I just hope he can recreate that against 11.

And let's not get carried away. 11 v 11 we were poor, Dale were all over us. Thankfully Taylor did what he does best, dive, Trotman lost his head, and the game changed from there.

Still plenty of work to be done but winning breeds confidence.

I reckon the same people used to slaughter Frankie Bunn as a 'lazy' player in the 90's.

I wonder how hungry he will be though with a 1/2 year contract to sit back on. 'Hungry' No Nando's pun intended...

I also wonder if he needs to feel under pressure in order to perform. Whatever the reason PD has managed to improve Reuben's performances with every game.

Edited by dazlatic

Keep your wigs on chaps. That touch and shot from Reid was awesome, no arguments there. And yes that was probably his best game for us but I just hope he can recreate that against 11.

And let's not get carried away. 11 v 11 we were poor, Dale were all over us. Thankfully Taylor did what he does best, dive, Trotman lost his head, and the game changed from there.

One shot on target.

Dale started well but much more before the sending off we'd levelled up possession and territory. All over us? No way.

Thought Reid had a great game yesterday, good touch, the control, spin and shot on the turn in the first half was great to see.

His running off the ball either taking defenders away from the play or loosing them altogether was good to watch yesterday, best game I've seen from him in a latics shirt!

as long as we learn that he wants it to feet - he'll do absolutly fine......he clearly isn't target man and isn't massivly impressive with his back to goal but if you get him to turn and face goal, he could be very very dangerous. Decent control, quickish feet and although he's not the quickest, close control in the dribble makes him appear quicker than he is.

I know we've won the two games where taylor has played as the man behind up front - but i do think his best position is the wing and perhaps reid would be better playing off a front man. In the frist couple of games, he was trying to run on to smith flicks and to be honest, read it very poorly whereas if you ask him to pick up the knockdowns and have a run at the defence - or drop deep pick the ball up and turn - perhaps that would benefit him too?

I agree we looked pretty poor but I think that was down to us playing too many long balls

I am going to hold my hands up and be counted here. He was :censored:e last season and looked like he needed to lose weight so I was gutted when he re-signed and then hadn't lost any!

He started badly against Sheff Utd and I have slated him a few times on here..........

However, he won me round yesterday and ran his bollocks off! First half he was headig for man of the match but I think overall Clark was our best player! Main think is I think the penny has finally dropped and he wants it more.

He is a little bit too casual sometimes with the ball and that gives people the opportunity to moan, but PD can help him work on that!

Anyway I have changed my tune on Reid!

Looked much better yesterday and one thing that was missing from previous matches was his moaning. I saw 90 minutes of hard work and encouragement for his team-mates.

Oh, and dId anyone else notice his 'knife and fork', Nando's are on me celebration? Very nice.

I've posted before that i got no interest in making a player a boo boy, suggestions to the contrary are a load of bollocks. It implies i want dickov to sign :censored: players, and somehow revel in their :censored:ness; and misses the point. Of the two games i've seen - Against sheff utd, reid was awful. Simple. Yesterday he played well, credit to the lad. I said after the first game he didn't compete, his hold play was sloppy and above all his attitude was the pits. Yesterday his first touch was much better, he showed lovely vision with some of his passing, and when he lost the ball he hassled it back. Much, much better performance.

Just because i come on here and i say i thought he was piss poor in a game, dosen't mean i want him hounded out of the club, or that i dont want him to succeed, Or that i decide before the next game that i will get my boo boy comments ready. In the time he's been at the club, he shown glimpses of really good feet, lovely vision and awareness, and can finish- notts county away sticks in the mind. On the other hand, last season and sheff united there was a lot of huffing and puffing, a lack of desire, and his general play very untidy.

If he can keep yesterday up, which we all want, then happy days. If he reverts to what i've seen in the majority of his time at the club, then id rather give someone else go.

Reuben, Reuben, Reuben got an airing from some of the main stand, after some good play in the first half on that side.

Yes he did, and i was one of them. it was after he plucked the ball out of thin air, turned and volleyed------ Lovely to watch, and wish it had gone in for his sake