Tom Adeyemi signs

Tierney to my mind was clearly an excellent player and prospect and I couldn't at the time understand why he was not getting more games. I think to cast doubt on him "buckling down" here is wrong without proof that he wasnt doing his best to get in the team. Sometimes a players face just does not fit with the manager. As soon as he left he made an immediate impact at Shrewsbury and was never out of the first 11.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tierney, Makin and Eardley are all fullbacks who came through at latics, deemed to be "gash" and then gone on to bigger things elsewhere. Full back is one of the hardest positions to master as there are defensive and attacking attributes required, you are also often up against the opposition's quickest and trickiest players. If you make a mistake it usually results in them getting round the back (oh er missus) and often results in a goal.

It is very rare for a young kid to come into any first team and be the finished article, it can take several seasons and quite a lot of beastings for the player to develop into a well rounded and solid fullback. Regularly I have seen teams target our fullbacks, pump balls into their area and have the winger, full back and central midfielder on that side all press on to the lad. Winchester was a victim of this on a miserable Tuesday night last season.

When this happens, our winger needs to drop back and help out a the very least, possibly another midfielder has to chip in and stifle the opposition's tactics and this is something we are not very good at. Plus for the last few years we've had pretty attack minded wingers that regularly are too far up the pitch when we haven't got the ball to provide a decent shield for our fullbacks. I fully understand why Penney didn't want our full backs to cross the half way line, he wanted them to concentrate on the defending parts of their game and leave the fancy stuff to the midfield.

Of our current full backs, Lee is doing ok, he had a cracking season last year and got a pretty good balance of attack and defence, he is better going forward than backward but his defensive game was more than adequate for most of last season. Black is similar in that he is pretty good going forward but he is a few seasons behind Lee with regard to his defensive game. He has made some strides forward in this and then has had a dip, which happens with young kids, but he is definitely progressing. I'm happy with him there at the moment, think that he still needs taking out of the firing line occasionally, as with all young kids and Diallo can step in here, every player benefits from competition.

Whilst I don't want to come across as negative, It's all about slant you put on things at times. This lad comes from Norwich on loan saying that it's good to be here due to Norwich gaining back to back promotions and insinuating that the calibre of player brought in he would have limited to no chance of getting first team football. Yet here at Latics that's what he hope to acheive. Well isn't one Marc Tierney deemed not good enough playing premeirship first team football there? funny old game isn't it!

Welcome aboard and lets hope you put mud in the eye of Norwich like Tierney did to Latics.

But that's a completely different situation isn't it? So, why bring it up?

This is a young 19 year old prospect who got a few games at League 1 when Norwich came down to our level; then was sent out last season to League 2 to go and play a season of 1st team football. He did well at that level; is now clearly is down the order of midfielders now they are in the Premiership (and obvious point really) and has been allowed to leave on loan to us in league 1 to again further his development in a higher league than he was loaned out to last season.

Now as for Tierney, he was (wrongly IMO) released and joined Shrewsbury a good number of years ago. He's a (very) former young player of ours who then went down a division, worked hard at his game and got a move back up to this division. His performances there were very consistent and when his former manager spotted a gap needed filling at LB; he went after a player he knew. Did well at Championship level last season & was fortunately involved in a promotion. he now finds himself in the enviable position of so far being able to say he is a starting Premier league player and fair play to him for that. I don't think there's a "mud in the eye" point in that all, players move on all the time and through a variety of situational variables; they can find themselves playing at higher or lower levels than we do……

But, the 2 players have no linkage, no parallels and pose 2 different points - so; what's you point in bringing this up in a thread about us signing a young lad on loan?????

But that's a completely different situation isn't it? So, why bring it up?

This is a young 19 year old prospect who got a few games at League 1 when Norwich came down to our level; then was sent out last season to League 2 to go and play a season of 1st team football. He did well at that level; is now clearly is down the order of midfielders now they are in the Premiership (and obvious point really) and has been allowed to leave on loan to us in league 1 to again further his development in a higher league than he was loaned out to last season.

Now as for Tierney, he was (wrongly IMO) released and joined Shrewsbury a good number of years ago. He's a (very) former young player of ours who then went down a division, worked hard at his game and got a move back up to this division. His performances there were very consistent and when his former manager spotted a gap needed filling at LB; he went after a player he knew. Did well at Championship level last season & was fortunately involved in a promotion. he now finds himself in the enviable position of so far being able to say he is a starting Premier league player and fair play to him for that. I don't think there's a "mud in the eye" point in that all, players move on all the time and through a variety of situational variables; they can find themselves playing at higher or lower levels than we do……

But, the 2 players have no linkage, no parallels and pose 2 different points - so; what's you point in bringing this up in a thread about us signing a young lad on loan?????

I was merely pointing out how the exact same situation (moving down leagues, as both have done!!!) can be given a positive slant or a negative slant. Ok then in more recent times lets take Andy Holdsworth. Left us and goes to Morecombe. Most posts put the slant on it he's found his level and indeed, he's now moved on to Alfreton. No one said he's moved down to work on his game to get back up. Nor did anyone to my recolection regarding Tierney. Now this young lad from Norwich what is the slant being placed on the OS? certainly not found his level is it? that's the point I was making not that this lad is :censored:.

At least it's got you debating in the thread so at least that's a small point.

EDIT: Out of interest what division were Shrews at the time Tierney Joined? League 2 or Conference

Edited by Lags

I was merely pointing out how the exact same situation (moving down leagues, as both have done!!!) can be given a positive slant or a negative slant. Ok then in more recent times lets take Andy Holdsworth. Left us and goes to Morecombe. Most posts put the slant on it he's found his level and indeed, he's now moved on to Alfreton. No one said he's moved down to work on his game to get back up. Nor did anyone to my recolection regarding Tierney. Now this young lad from Norwich what is the slant being placed on the OS? certainly not found his level is it? that's the point I was making not that this lad is :censored:.

EDIT: Out of interest what division were Shrews at the time Tierney Joined? League 2 or Conference

they where league 2 if im not mistaken but he did spend a season on loan at carlisle when they walked the conference

Tierney, Makin and Eardley are all fullbacks who came through at latics, deemed to be "gash" and then gone on to bigger things elsewhere. Full back is one of the hardest positions to master as there are defensive and attacking attributes required, you are also often up against the opposition's quickest and trickiest players. If you make a mistake it usually results in them getting round the back (oh er missus) and often results in a goal.

It is very rare for a young kid to come into any first team and be the finished article, it can take several seasons and quite a lot of beastings for the player to develop into a well rounded and solid fullback. Regularly I have seen teams target our fullbacks, pump balls into their area and have the winger, full back and central midfielder on that side all press on to the lad. Winchester was a victim of this on a miserable Tuesday night last season.

When this happens, our winger needs to drop back and help out a the very least, possibly another midfielder has to chip in and stifle the opposition's tactics and this is something we are not very good at. Plus for the last few years we've had pretty attack minded wingers that regularly are too far up the pitch when we haven't got the ball to provide a decent shield for our fullbacks. I fully understand why Penney didn't want our full backs to cross the half way line, he wanted them to concentrate on the defending parts of their game and leave the fancy stuff to the midfield.

Of our current full backs, Lee is doing ok, he had a cracking season last year and got a pretty good balance of attack and defence, he is better going forward than backward but his defensive game was more than adequate for most of last season. Black is similar in that he is pretty good going forward but he is a few seasons behind Lee with regard to his defensive game. He has made some strides forward in this and then has had a dip, which happens with young kids, but he is definitely progressing. I'm happy with him there at the moment, think that he still needs taking out of the firing line occasionally, as with all young kids and Diallo can step in here, every player benefits from competition.

This is a great post, and not just because I was a full-back

For Tom's loan move to us; see pretty much all our other young loanees of recent years.

Young lads from clubs higher up; mostly Premiership ones, who aren't developing further playing in the youth sides / reserves and are in need of regular 1st team football down the pyramid to aid their development.

Mark Hughes, Lee Croft, Neil Kilkenny, Tomas Cwyka, Ryan Bertrand, Neal Blackman, :censored:, Oumare Tounkara, Jean Yves M'Voto, Cedric Evina….heck Mantom, Lowe & Lund too……all were in the same boat as this new lad.

From that list, you can see how this type of loan works out. Sometimes it’s a matter of gaining that development & showcasing your skills to your parent club*; and you return and kick on your career at a higher level (see Kilkenny, Croft, Bertand, :censored:) or you get the experience and development from playing 1st team football but you then settle in at the level you are at & your parent club decide that you are best staying at that club / level (see M'Voto, Hughes, Evina)

That's surely exactly what has been decided with Tom by Norwich. Better to have him out in League 1; which is a level up on the division he did well in last season, than have him only being involved in reserve games. If he does well with us this time, and Norwich make the drop (as many expect) back down to the Championship; then who knows; after some players leave; he might just be considered for them next season after doing well with us. Win Win for the lad, for us (helps us this season) and for Norwich.

.* well aware that some of those moved 'parent' clubs; but are still playing at higher level

For Tom's loan move to us; see pretty much all our other young loanees of recent years.

Young lads from clubs higher up; mostly Premiership ones, who aren't developing further playing in the youth sides / reserves and are in need of regular 1st team football down the pyramid to aid their development.

Mark Hughes, Lee Croft, Neil Kilkenny, Tomas Cwyka, Ryan Bertrand, Neal Blackman, :censored:, Oumare Tounkara, Jean Yves M'Voto, Cedric Evina….heck Mantom, Lowe & Lund too……all were in the same boat as this new lad.

From that list, you can see how this type of loan works out. Sometimes it’s a matter of gaining that development & showcasing your skills to your parent club*; and you return and kick on your career at a higher level (see Kilkenny, Croft, Bertand, :censored:) or you get the experience and development from playing 1st team football but you then settle in at the level you are at & your parent club decide that you are best staying at that club / level (see M'Voto, Hughes, Evina)

That's surely exactly what has been decided with Tom by Norwich. Better to have him out in League 1; which is a level up on the division he did well in last season, than have him only being involved in reserve games. If he does well with us this time, and Norwich make the drop (as many expect) back down to the Championship; then who knows; after some players leave; he might just be considered for them next season after doing well with us. Win Win for the lad, for us (helps us this season) and for Norwich.

.* well aware that some of those moved 'parent' clubs; but are still playing at higher level

I aint disputing any of that....just making a point how different slants are put on different players moving down the leagues. One things for sure not many of the Latics younger players going to non league clubs for that experience seem to develop for us. Normally they sail out of sight in the main.

:applause1:

I was young, but I dont think Makin was deemed to be gash? I seem to remember being upset he'd gone. getting rid of Tierney was a mistake, I always thought he'd make a decent full back - (not a premiership one admitedly, but a good championship one).

On the subject of the original post, this from a Bradford ST holder from work (echoes some of what was said on their own message board):

He’s ok. The trouble with him at Bradford was Peter Taylors game bypassed the midfield a lot so he could disappear in games. He seemed to do better once Taylor went. I think his season at Bradford will have done him good though and I would expect him to push on this season. I’d predict him to be the type of player to get around a 6.5/7 in nine games out of every ten games. I guess hes someone I’d describe as “steady away”. Not a game changer, just a standard all rounder.

It might be me but I reckon after listening to Tom Adeyemi on Latics Player I thought his voice sounded very much like Simon Corney's.

Also on Latics Player Shefki Kuqi stuck me as an intelligent and genuine guy.

Add Matt Smith to the brains trust and Latics might have to change their name to Oldham University. :D

It might be me but I reckon after listening to Tom Adeyemi on Latics Player I thought his voice sounded very much like Simon Corney's.

Also on Latics Player Shefki Kuqi stuck me as an intelligent and genuine guy.

Add Matt Smith to the brains trust and Latics might have to change their name to Oldham University. :D

You mean Huddersfield University Oldham Campus!

he is way above lund thank god, i think lambert has said he is surplus to requirements as well which is a bonus

Far from it! Says he would have been a definite starter if Norwich were in Championship . Lambert obviously thinks he has a future with the Canaries if he continues to progress.