iPhone 5

Stevie_J

I ended up upgrading this morning :D Fancy treating myself :)

iPhone 4S 16GB £499... but got £130 for the 3GS... So not bad in the end for £370

Steve Jobs taking marketing to the next level. I have it on good authority that he actually passed a week ago but told them to hold the news till after the i4s announcement to collar a few sympathy purchases. And up you popped!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Jobs taking marketing to the next level. I have it on good authority that he actually passed a week ago but told them to hold the news till after the i4s announcement to collar a few sympathy purchases. And up you popped!

Are you seriously suggesting I would part with £500 out of some sort of sympathy for someone else? You paint me as a much nicer person than I am :)

Charge point on my phone is dying so going to have to upgrade soon now anyway... Do it now and get a nice new phone and £130 for this one... Makes no sense to wait...

And what 'good authority' would that be?

I've never had the signal problem either. I'm not suggesting it's a big anti-publicity scam by nokia but I just can't get it to happen! I see what u mean about £500. When u weigh up what ur paying over the timespan of a contract it does appear high.

I've had a case since day one. U can get sone really nice ones off eBay for less than a fiver with free delivery so I change mine from time to time.

What does annoy me is the auto correct when typing. It works so seamlessly u dont actually notice it's doing it until u read ur posts/texts back. Hence why most of mine are edited! U wouldn't believe the amount of times I've had to backspace and retype in this post alone! Bigger space bar on the keyboard would be handy too.

I'm getting to this late and don't want to go through all the pages but surely somebody has pointed out that you can switch auto correct off...?

Trying to work out which tariff to go for is a head:censored:. Finally decided to switch the missus onto Three and I'll take her O2 no. But Three haven't got the 16GB for pre-order and O2 aren't taking any pre-orders. Well, sod it; I'll leave it until the dust settles and they're both available online so I can get some cashback through Quidco or TCB.

Trying to work out which tariff to go for is a head:censored:. Finally decided to switch the missus onto Three and I'll take her O2 no. But Three haven't got the 16GB for pre-order and O2 aren't taking any pre-orders. Well, sod it; I'll leave it until the dust settles and they're both available online so I can get some cashback through Quidco or TCB.

This :wink:

I'm getting to this late and don't want to go through all the pages but surely somebody has pointed out that you can switch auto correct off...?

I've tried it that way and it's even worse!!! I like the auto correct when I changes wjen to when etc but sometimes it's just too clever for it's own good!

I heard that he's not actually dead, he's in an underground bunker screwing with RIM's servers and laughing his head off.

I don't know if it's true but i heard that.

Cheers for that. My priority is to ditch Orange, which is now definitively the cause of my problems. Read that they're definitely the worst for 3G and phone reception - worse even than 3.

T-mob and Orange are one company now so are "supposed" to use each others networks. I'm on T-mob but don't have a smart phone. Was thinking of getting the new Iphone 4S and heading over to O2 as the Mrs is on it, but I have found out that I can get 25% off line rental with Orange through a deal through my work. Is it worth it or is recep that bad?

T-mob and Orange are one company now so are "supposed" to use each others networks. I'm on T-mob but don't have a smart phone. Was thinking of getting the new Iphone 4S and heading over to O2 as the Mrs is on it, but I have found out that I can get 25% off line rental with Orange through a deal through my work. Is it worth it or is recep that bad?

I honestly haven't had any major issues in ten years, but I don't have an iphone. I've been using a HTC hero for the last few years. My girlfriend has an iphone on Orange, and thinking about it, the mobile internet can be a bit slow at times - but no worse than the speed of my HTC, although the wi-fi on her Orange iphone is usually good.

iCloud it is pretty awesome stuff... Works like a charm...

Backed up my phone to iCloud... Did a factory reset and wiped everything... and then restored it from iCloud... Everything went back on perfectly and no need to touch iTunes :D

So a big thumbs up for iCloud service from me. Just a note, I didn't have music on my iPhone but I am pretty sure until iTunes Match turns up then I would lost the music as this isn't backed up. Just a note for anyone who might try this.

Haha, I had the opposite experience with iCloud. Ended up disabling it. It wouldn't allow me to sync my calendars with both Google Calendar and iCloud, or my contacts with both Gmail and iCloud, and when I synced my bookmarks I ended up with all the mobile formatted website bookmarks on my laptop and all the non-mobile website bookmarks on my phone (no way to selectively sync). And getting PhotoStream to work mean spending £11 to upgrade iPhoto, then finding out you can't delete individual photos from the stream — you have to disable the whole thing, then reset the stream, losing everything you haven't saved elsewhere.

It's typical Apple (and I say this as a generally positive Apple user) — if you want it to work the same way they think you should, it's brilliantly user-friendly, but if you've got any specific needs you're out of luck.

Haha, I had the opposite experience with iCloud. Ended up disabling it. It wouldn't allow me to sync my calendars with both Google Calendar and iCloud, or my contacts with both Gmail and iCloud, and when I synced my bookmarks I ended up with all the mobile formatted website bookmarks on my laptop and all the non-mobile website bookmarks on my phone (no way to selectively sync). And getting PhotoStream to work mean spending £11 to upgrade iPhoto, then finding out you can't delete individual photos from the stream — you have to disable the whole thing, then reset the stream, losing everything you haven't saved elsewhere.

It's typical Apple (and I say this as a generally positive Apple user) — if you want it to work the same way they think you should, it's brilliantly user-friendly, but if you've got any specific needs you're out of luck.

I spent the £11 on iPhoto... but that was to get it to work on my Mac... Photo Stream works fine now with my iPhone, iPad, Mac and Windows... Overall I thought £11 was a small outlay for it to work on the Mac...

The Photo Stream holds your photos for 30 days... They then keep delete as they expire... You have the original photo in your camera roll... The idea of stream is simply to make them available on other devices more easily. Which is very useful for me.

Why would iCloud support working with Google Contacts and Calendars ? Google Calendars / Contacts are cloud services in their own rights... You don't really need to use both... Just use one or the other... I have now ditched my google stuff for iCloud... Except for my business google calendar which happily sits side by side my iCloud calendars...

iCloud clearly asks if you want to "merge" all of your bookmarks... What did you think would happen lol :)

I think its more about understanding whats going on here than being forced down the apple path (although I agree they do like to channel you at times :D )

Edited by oafc0000

I spent the £11 on iPhoto... but that was to get it to work on my Mac... Photo Stream works fine now with my iPhone, iPad, Mac and Windows... Overall I thought £11 was a small outlay for it to work on the Mac...

The Photo Stream holds your photos for 30 days... They then keep delete as they expire... You have the original photo in your camera roll... The idea of stream is simply to make them available on other devices more easily. Which is very useful for me.

Why would iCloud support working with Google Contacts and Calendars ? Google Calendars / Contacts are cloud services in their own rights... You don't really need to use both... Just use one or the other... I have now ditched my google stuff for iCloud... Except for my business google calendar which happily sits side by side my iCloud calendars...

iCloud clearly asks if you want to "merge" all of your bookmarks... What did you think would happen lol smile.gif

I think its more about understanding whats going on here than being forced down the apple path (although I agree they do like to channel you at times biggrin.gif )

Eh, it's not a bad upgrade, but it's forced me to pay to upgrade software unnecessarily, it's forced me to choose between my existing contacts/calendar service and theirs, and it's not user friendly enough to give me the choice as to which specific photos I sync. I was looking forward to iOS 5 as much as I was OS X 10.7, but both of them have been a little underwhelming in hindsight.

Eh, it's not a bad upgrade, but it's forced me to pay to upgrade software unnecessarily, it's forced me to choose between my existing contacts/calendar service and theirs, and it's not user friendly enough to give me the choice as to which specific photos I sync. I was looking forward to iOS 5 as much as I was OS X 10.7, but both of them have been a little underwhelming in hindsight.

The first thing to remember is that it's a free service... Second is its all optional... So your not really being forced to do anything...

Another way at looking at it as well is that google don't support iCloud contacts and clanders either... I reckon someone will write an app which will help you sync your contacts across both systems. You won't be the only one wanting to do it no doubt.

To be honest if I had to tell it to sync a photo that is a step I don't want to have to do... Much better to sync everything in my opinion... What does it mat if it syncs everything ? It dosent effect your allowances...

I think its a good update, specially on my iPad.. Both my iPad and 3GS are running quicker...

I missed the bloody delivery on my iPhone so I can't get my hands on the 4S until Monday night.l. Grrrrrr.....

Edited by oafc0000

Got my iPhone 4S today... Siri is good but does struggle with my accent... Works million times better than any other similar service I have used and its only going to get better. Its great getting and replying to text messages when you drive.

Phone is much faster (noticeable when viewing web pages) than the 3GS and the photographs are great.

No death grip issues and reception seems VERY strong....

I think its hard to justify £500 on all this but if your 3GS is needing to be changed or your after an iPhone for the first time I would suggest you go for 4S over any of the other versions.... Except maybe a 3GS if cost is a big problem for you... I wouldn't get an iPhone 4... spend extra and get this...

If you have an iPhone 4 only reasons to upgrade are better reception and Siri....

Edited by oafc0000

I thought that would be a good one to get a sarcastic response but it wasn't having any of it :P

I just asked it... "Hi Siri, What are you wearing today"... and it said "Why do people keep asking me this ? " LOL!

Hahaha, bet some dirty :censored:er somewhere will have tried "Siri, talk dirty to me"