The result is bad.. but not to bad

The tactics were right, but the execution poor.

3-4-3 against a team with ten men and defending a 1-0 lead is spot on.

Unfortunately Morais , who i rate immensely, put in a half hearted challenge that led to their second goal. He was in the right place but didn't execute the tackle at all well

They took their chances well, we had many more and didn't. Their keeper made two good saves from Reid and Kuqi in first half, and Clarke put in a superb cross that Kuqi only had to touch and it would have been in but was on the back foot.

Second half it looked as though we again had chances but couldn't do anything with them.

Not until second half did we seem to create anything down the wings.#

Reid my MOTM.

I think you will agree Pete Latics had a far better team than this is in a lower division in the 1960s who would have created far more and taken their chances too.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we played at home in those days with 2 midfielders who hardly crossed the halfway line and home matches were a joy to attend. Indeed I can't think of many Latics teams in the past who have adopted that negative tactic for home games.

I agree about Reid, but feel it's only a matter of time before he gets fed up with this style of play. I bet he would love to play alongside a midfielder like Jonathan Douglas (a throwback to the 60s and 70s isn't he) who can actually create something.

Edited by BP1960

I agree with Latics Pete. I felt Individual mistakes and some below par performances were to blame rather than anything deeper and I genially think that kind of inconsistency is to be expected from young, inexperienced players. How they react next week, will be interesting and will probably determine how we fare over the next month or two (i.e. how far their heads will drop after today)

I agree with Latics Pete. I felt Individual mistakes and some below par performances were to blame rather than anything deeper and I genially think that kind of inconsistency is to be expected from young, inexperienced players. How they react next week, will be interesting and will probably determine how we fare over the next month or two (i.e. how far their heads will drop after today)

You have answered the managers question, he wants consistency, but isn't getting it with the young inexperienced players he is playing.

Isn't it up to him to him then to do something about it by bringing in more experience ?

Edited by BP1960

You know their is a danger here of overanalysing a defeat.

All we need to do next game is switch K Lee over to right back and bring in Diallo at Left back and go from there, it will probably stop the long balls as we will be able to build from the back much better.

Lets not forget before today we had gone on a run of 1 defeat in 7. Just a tweaking and we will be ok.

All we need to do next game is switch K Lee over to right back and bring in Diallo at Left back and go from there, it will probably stop the long balls as we will be able to build from the back much better.

Lets not forget before today we had gone on a run of 1 defeat in 7. Just a tweaking and we will be ok.

Don't be so ridiculously logical.

you are right but pd didnt have the balls two drop either clarke or dimond to accomadate for lee and diallo to push forward,plus simpson looks so average just another hudds reject ...

You have answered the managers question, he wants consistency, but isn't getting it with the young inexperienced players he is playing.

Isn't it up to him to him then to do something about it by bringing in more experience ?

Pay them with what? Don't know many experienced players willing to be paid with Skittles and cups of tea, young players are cheap.

Dickov talks about team shape again in his summary...how much longer do we have to wait for it to sink in!!!

Interestingly one of the things that was very impressive at Walsall was our ability to keep our team shape. I think they know what to do when it comes to team shape, it's just easier for them to do it when playing away as the onus isn't on them to be expansive.

I said before the Stevenage game that the time had come for Morais and Taylor to step up to the plate and produce the cutting edge at home that will get us wins against the average L1 teams, either by creating or scoring goals. So far, not so good. :(

I thought Mvoto was a rare bright spot today, he dealt with their man perfectly in the later stages when they hoofed the ball to him, I'd even go as far as saying he was man of the match.

As for the Morais - Diamond handbags, Dickov's fault for not organising the defence better after the changes, Diamond should have been playing as the right CB and picked up their man but he left it for Morias who was already covering someone else which is why Morais got riled.

Bad day at the office and we got punished.

M'Voto man of the match! All he does is hoof the thing when he manages to get it, he literally had the ball taken off him at one point off one of there players who was the size of one of his boots!!! He is better than we are seeing, he needs to be dropped for a few games, until Clarke or Diamonds form drops.

I agree with dropping him but do you mean get rid fully? He is a good defender but is on bad form at the minute, every player has them it's up to the club to get him out of it. Today was poor but don't get carried away.

I dont mean get rid of him fully but definately drop him. Id say Clarke and Diamond work better. To me he doesn't have the footballing knowledge and just hoofs everytime!!

I think you will agree Pete Latics had a far better team than this is in a lower division in the 1960s who would have created far more and taken their chances too.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we played at home in those days with 2 midfielders who hardly crossed the halfway line and home matches were a joy to attend. Indeed I can't think of many Latics teams in the past who have adopted that negative tactic for home games.

I agree about Reid, but feel it's only a matter of time before he gets fed up with this style of play. I bet he would love to play alongside a midfielder like Jonathan Douglas (a throwback to the 60s and 70s isn't he) who can actually create something.

I try and compare Latics now with the team that we had when we last won promotion from this division - in 73/4.

Best part of 40 years makes it a little difficult but that team would have created more chances definitely. With McVitie and Groves on the wing we had two excellent traditional wingers who could beat full backs and get good crosses in (and Ian Robins was no mug). And my belief is that the ball from the flanks is the most likely to produce goals. Lochhead was a class, experienced striker but I think Kuqi and Reid would have similar success if they received the service he did.

Let's remember in Nov /dec that season we picked up 1pt from 5 matches and it was doom and gloom. In the New Year Garwood recoverdv from injury and he was a good goal poacher and Groves was signed and off we went , 10 consecutive league wins.

Football was different then , it was generally more attacking, and Latics had enough players of quality to make the most of it. As I said the big variation for me is the emphasis we had on good delivery from the wings. I can't recall one good ball in from Simpson or Taylor yesterday in the first half. Get the ball wide, preferably to the byline, goals will follow.

From start to finish we were second best all over the park....just what game are some of you watching!!! Our midfield is non existant and for the umpteenth time at home we were passed to death. Wesolowski is a terrier and can break up the play but the rest are bloody woeful....we simply can't hold the ball, can't pass, and can't move!!!

We have centre backs who just hoof it and Mvoto has the turning circle of the Titanic....Dickov has to decide what his best centre back pairing is and I suspect it's Diamond and Clarke....like has been said earlier we have two left backs available but in order to accomodate Clarke he plays neither.

Brentford started like a house on fire today and I reckon if they had scored earlier we could have been murdered...it was the same against Rochdale whose midfield were running the show until Trotman came to the rescue. Our midfield are bloody clueless and just don't seem to have the guile or will to create anything at all, we desperately need a Wellens/Sheridan type to put their foot on the ball and call the shots as in home games where we should be dominating we are second best week after week.

I thought Weolowski, Reid, Lee, and Cisak did OK the rest were abysmal. Dickov talks about team shape again in his summary...how much longer do we have to wait for it to sink in!!!

I haven't seen a decent performance at home in a very long time and it's no wonder the attendances are falling away.....come on Dickov sort it out!!!!

Agree with every word….whether 'Dickart' do, well we'll see. Still think M'Voto is better than Diamond though…and I'd give young Burns a run in midfield, has run the show in every reserve and youth game i've watched for months, finds time and space and we have no-one able to do that. Surely 'Dickart' can see this? Maybe Uncle MIke could find the money to sign a free-agent like Koumas? (not necessarily him) We've signed two loanees in Lund and Adeyemi and frankly both are :censored:e. The one player we needed we pissed about with (the Spaniard) and had to panic and look elsewhere. Can't help but feel Fernandez would have been the answer after watching 6 out of the first 11….

Team for Exeter

Cisak

Lee

M'Voto

Clarke

Diallo

Simpson

Wesolowski

Burns

Taylor

Reid

Kuqi

I can cope with being :censored:, I can't cope with our manager handing the game on a plate to the opposition through :censored:e decision after :censored:e decision, 4 home wins in 2011…… and only 8 in the last 28 home league games since he took over. He's done a lot right here, but needs to find a winning formula at home - not necessarily winning every week but a tempo and style of play that is entertaining as we are so one dimensional and downright tedious to watch.

I thought Mvoto was a rare bright spot today, he dealt with their man perfectly in the later stages when they hoofed the ball to him, I'd even go as far as saying he was man of the match.

As for the Morais - Diamond handbags, Dickov's fault for not organising the defence better after the changes, Diamond should have been playing as the right CB and picked up their man but he left it for Morias who was already covering someone else which is why Morais got riled.

Bad day at the office and we got punished.

Then I was at a completely different game to you Beag, as M'Voto was battling with Tom Adeyemi as our worst player. Close thing, but JYM wins it; he was truly awful yesterday.

<br />Agree with every word….whether 'Dickart' do, well we'll see. Still think M'Voto is better than Diamond though…and I'd give young Burns a run in midfield, has run the show in every reserve and youth game i've watched for months, finds time and space and we have no-one able to do that. Surely 'Dickart' can see this? Maybe Uncle MIke could find the money to sign a free-agent like Koumas? (not necessarily him) We've signed two loanees in Lund and Adeyemi and frankly both are :censored:e. The one player we needed we pissed about with (the Spaniard) and had to panic and look elsewhere. Can't help but feel Fernandez would have been the answer after watching 6 out of the first 11….<br /><br />Team for Exeter<br /><br />Cisak<br />Lee<br />M'Voto<br />Clarke<br />Diallo<br />Simpson<br />Wesolowski<br />Burns<br />Taylor<br />Reid<br />Kuqi<br /><br />I can cope with being :censored:, I can't cope with our manager handing the game on a plate to the opposition through :censored:e decision after :censored:e decision, 4 home wins in 2011…… and only 8 in the last 28 home league games since he took over. He's done a lot right here, but needs to find a winning formula at home - not necessarily winning every week but a tempo and style of play that is entertaining as we are so one dimensional and downright tedious to watch.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Who's Dickart? WTF