York City v Latics 1974 video

I was thrilled to find this video on YouTube, record crowd I think at York (and fans today think the current BP is dilapidated).

I was at the game, were you ?

What a free kick from Maurice Whittle, and a rare glimpse of Alan Groves.

Hiuglights start about 06:40 into the video - enjoy.

Edited by BP1960

I was thrilled to find this video on YouTube, record crowd I think at York (and fans today think the current BP is dilapidated).

Hiuglights start about 06:0 into the video - enjoy.

what a find....i was there although only 7 years old...

there was alot of oldham fans there that day...

Good find BP.

Yes I was there at the end where Whittle scored.The crowd was mixed up in most parts of the ground, with fighting in the side where the camera were located.

The other end, where York scored, is now covered and both sides are all seater.

was probably York's biggest crowd of that season (15829) but the ground record is over 28000!

I was in that side and it certainly was a bit scary - I was only 10 at the time mind. We took some huge away followings that year, Southport being another. As the commentator said Whittle's 10th goal of the season. Not bad for a left back - he did take (and score!) the pens though.

Yeah...I was there behind the goal when Whittle's free kick went in........I remember four of us we went by train and were in York from about 10am we were all absolutely leathered by kick off time.

Another great away day watching that promotion team......Happy days!!

The following season was my first watching Latics so wasn't at this game but I remember in the 75/76 season the Saddleworth Latics fans hired their own 55 seat coach to York, organised by Mick Bradbury. Most of us on that trip were still at school and I doubt if any were out of their teens.Copious amounts of beer drunk on the way there, bit of an altercation with some Leeds fans in York, brilliant atmosphere at the game.Think we lost 1-0 but one of my best ever away days.

Was anyone on here on the same coach?

I was there too - top find mate..

I was there too...13000 in there ...about 8000 from Oldham........was at the other end saw the free kick all the way. I had forgotten how good

a dead ball man Mo was. He could hit them hard but that chip was a beauty. Where is he now ? Please dont tell me he is dead.

The same day as Denis Laws backheel that sent United down

As a post script when my wife was expecting our first I said if anybody scores against United I will name my kid after him...it was Maurice

and the wife would not have it. Called him Matthew instead

Was surprised to see Keith Hicks in that team..Mulvaney was the regular centre half..must have been injured. Paul Edwards...legend.

I was there too...13000 in there ...about 8000 from Oldham........was at the other end saw the free kick all the way. I had forgotten how good

a dead ball man Mo was. He could hit them hard but that chip was a beauty. Where is he now ? Please dont tell me he is dead.

The same day as Denis Laws backheel that sent United down

As a post script when my wife was expecting our first I said if anybody scores against United I will name my kid after him...it was Maurice

and the wife would not have it. Called him Matthew instead

Was surprised to see Keith Hicks in that team..Mulvaney was the regular centre half..must have been injured. Paul Edwards...legend.

Maurice is now 63, and I notice there is a dedicated page on Facebook.

Edited by BP1960

Brilliant. I was there too as a 10 year old, and at Southport at Easter, when we won 2-0 I think, having beaten them on Good Friday 6-0? Probably around 10,000 at Southport, with around 8 or 9,000 from Latics.

Maurice Whittle - 90 miles an hour -legend.

Edited by stevesidg

Brilliant. I was there too as a 10 year old, and at Southport at Easter, when we won 2-0 I think, having beaten them on Good Friday 6-0? Probably around 10,000 at Southport, with around 8 or 9,000 from Latics.

Maurice Whittle - 90 miles an hour -legend.

15829 at York

9504 at Southport

York averaged nearly 7000 at home that season and were getting more than that towards the end of the season when this match was played. Probably fair to say 5/6000 from Oldham

More Latics than that at Haig Avenue. It was Easter Monday but Southport had been in the 2000s so 7000 at least from Oldham I'd think. The road there was a mass of cars with blue and white scarves out of the window.

Edited by LaticsPete

15829 at York

9504 at Southport

York averaged nearly 7000 at home that season and were getting more than that towards the end of the season when this match was played. Probably fair to say 5/6000 from Oldham

More Latics than that at Haig Avenue. It was Easter Monday but Southport had been in the 2000s so 7000 at least from Oldham I'd think. The road there was a mass of cars with blue and white scarves out of the window.

I wonder what was the lowest ever Latics away support for a league match ?

When we find out perhaps medals should be struck for them. :D

Edited by BP1960

I was there as well , happy days and a great side that year.

Loved the football and the tangerine kit. Went to most of the aways in those days and what a joy to go expecting to win .

If i rememebr didn't Whittle score a screamer of a free kick at home against York as well., from about 5 yards inside our half just about level where PD would stand now in his technical area ????

Edited by losesome

I wonder what was the lowest ever Latics away support for a league match ?

When we find out perhaps medals should be struck for them. :D

I remember going to east London area a long time back , either colchester or gillingham somewhere ,

Tuesday night , absolute monsoon weather and stood in the open behind the nets.

The guy announced on the louder speaker for us to come over to the main stand and they would let us in under cover.

Think there was about 30 of us or so ???

Someone with a better memory will know , if the other 29 are still alive and didn't die with pneumonia !!!!!!

Also there! Thanks for the memories! And I recall a chron article about 50 + coaches going along the old A roads in convoy .. I was in one of them!

Now, I need someone else here to prompt my memory ... was it the same season we played York at home and won (maybe 2-0?) .. it was a Tuesday night match and City had a game cancelled ... huge crowd and we did a big "kop end copy" of you'll never walk alone in the chaddy, and my city mate (in the RR with his city friends said even they were impressed) ....

Also there! Thanks for the memories! And I recall a chron article about 50 + coaches going along the old A roads in convoy .. I was in one of them!

Now, I need someone else here to prompt my memory ... was it the same season we played York at home and won (maybe 2-0?) .. it was a Tuesday night match and City had a game cancelled ... huge crowd and we did a big "kop end copy" of you'll never walk alone in the chaddy, and my city mate (in the RR with his city friends said even they were impressed) ....

Don't know about City but we beat York at home 2-1 on a Tuesday night the same season. Whittle scored both goals that game too. A penalty and a free kick I think. Nearly 16000 there on a Tuesday night v York!

The following season was my first watching Latics so wasn't at this game but I remember in the 75/76 season the Saddleworth Latics fans hired their own 55 seat coach to York, organised by Mick Bradbury. Most of us on that trip were still at school and I doubt if any were out of their teens.Copious amounts of beer drunk on the way there, bit of an altercation with some Leeds fans in York, brilliant atmosphere at the game.Think we lost 1-0 but one of my best ever away days.

Was anyone on here on the same coach?

Great memories, and as has been mentioned made all the better by getting on the coach after the game to find out that Utd had been relegated!

We always took loads to York after that, with plenty of lads organising their own coaches for a good piss up. I wasn't on the coach mentioned here, but I remember Mick Bradbury from school, when some from Saddleworth came to Grange 6th form. He was a sound lad, and the last time I saw him (many, many years ago) he was just about to emigrate to Canada. Have you any idea if he's still there?

Great memories, and as has been mentioned made all the better by getting on the coach after the game to find out that Utd had been relegated!

We always took loads to York after that, with plenty of lads organising their own coaches for a good piss up. I wasn't on the coach mentioned here, but I remember Mick Bradbury from school, when some from Saddleworth came to Grange 6th form. He was a sound lad, and the last time I saw him (many, many years ago) he was just about to emigrate to Canada. Have you any idea if he's still there?

He might be on Facebook.