Matty Appleby

Will you send him to the sanctuary?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. The Vote:

• Yes, what a donkey - send him down
    • No, you got it wrong - he was ace

Ronnie went in eventually and it was bloody close over the weekend, probably goes to show how fans were and still are split over his capability. Meh. Here's another prospective oaf for your consideration: Matty Appelby.

We're building quite a portfolio of footballing mistakes over at PV's Donkey Sanctuary, go and have a look. http://wp.me/1NXi3

mj1ymq.png

Appleby joined Latics from Baaaarnsley for nothing on the 16th February 2002 after a months loans spell at BP and offically "served" until 10th March 2005 when he beggared off to Darlington on a free. He made 46 appearances for Oldham and scored 2 goals. In. Three. :censored:ing. Years.

Even though he hardly ever played (meaning his stats lied, cos half the time he made a come back he lasted 5 mins tops, but that still constitutes an appearance)I can still in my minds eye see his running style. A high knee action that suggested this boy has energy and power. Until you realised that in horse-ism it meant he ran like a shire horse....:censored:ing slow until he broke down 50 yards in. No Matty Appleby wasn't a Donkey, he was a Shire horse. A Shire horse that was destined for the glue factory and remarkably detoured to Sheepfoot Lane and found a green pasture for retired knackered horses. The trouble was the State didn't pay towards his up keep and was a monumental drain of around 3500 pounds a month plus his vet fee's. The sheep shagging faithful at Baaaarnsley weren't to sure about him but the dumb Darlo fans thought he was the creme de la creme. He was a creme alright......Duki creme .

So no not a Donkey for me, he was a Shire horse..................a :censored:ed one granted but no Donkey. So I am putting him out to grass like he was at Latics.

When he played he did a good job, trouble is, he didn't play enough and was a massive wage drain on the club.

Another one that makes me wear the black hat, send him down.

This /\

Whenever he played; you could see his class and the positive effect he had on the side BUT

he was allllllllllwaaaaaaayyyyyyyssssssssssss bloody injured and, didnt it come out a bit ago from SC exactly how much a week he was one? £5K a week wasn't it?

So much money spent on his wages for little return; so for that - he goes in for me

It's all about opinions innit. Even when he wasn't on the physio's table I thought he was average at best.

Neigh.

EDIT: Ronnie gets sent down yet this :censored:ing mug (currently) rides into the sunset? I despair, I really do.

I have voted no

Crock, yes. Expensive mistake in hindsight, yes. But don't think he was a donkey

Indeed. Not a donkey. The donkeys were the ones paying an aging player that kind of money. He tried his hardest as far as I could tell, it wasn't skill that got him. Just tough. This could have been say, Darren Sheridan. Similar risks, just one got injury lucky as far as we are concerned.

Hmmmm. Not that terrible a player, really, but the angriest moment of what has been a very angry year was shouting "THREE AND A HALF :censored:ING GRAND A WEEK FOR MATTY :censored:ING APPLEBY?" at no-one while listening to the Simon Corney interview on GMR, so it's a yes.

Yep - send him down - more like steptoes horse than anything else - useless and knackered !!

Wasnt a hard man although he thought he was - just a cynical dirty player who found it easier to foul the oppos crudely rather than out muscle them. I remember more than one occasion when the Latics fans chanted 'off off'' when the ref spoke to him after yet another needless free kick given away. Waste of a wage and waste of a shirt. Send him down !

he visited my school, so he's got to be a good player! i do remember being annoyed we'd got a player who was always injured and not a good one though

Scored a screamer at Port Vale in a 3-2 defeat and scored a decent goal against Brighton in a 2-0 win.

Sent off in the 7-1 defeat against Cardiff.

Injured most of the time.

Rumours he was on 7k a week. What the actual :censored:?