Chess

Monty Burns

I never played chess when I was younger, but my son wanted to start playing so we got a set with the basic rules etcetera, but were a little confused so I thought 'I know, I'll go on a football forum and ask them!'

So,

When I can trap his King, am I supposed to tell him and give him the chance to escape? Or wait my turn and take his king and win?

If a pawn gets to the other end of the board, what happens then? does it just have to sit there?

Thanks in advance. There may be more stupid questions to come, watch this space!!!

I never played chess when I was younger, but my son wanted to start playing so we got a set with the basic rules etcetera, but were a little confused so I thought 'I know, I'll go on a football forum and ask them!'

So,

When I can trap his King, am I supposed to tell him and give him the chance to escape? Or wait my turn and take his king and win?

If a pawn gets to the other end of the board, what happens then? does it just have to sit there?

Thanks in advance. There may be more stupid questions to come, watch this space!!!

You can't take a King. If one of your pieces moves to a position in which it could take the King, you tell your opponent 'Check'. They must move their King out of check. If they can't, it's checkmate - you win.

Pawn getting the end of the board can be traded for any other piece, usually a queen. If you still have your queen, you generally use a double-pawn as your second queen.

Here endeth the cool skool lesson.

You can't take a King. If one of your pieces moves to a position in which it could take the King, you tell your opponent 'Check'. They must move their King out of check. If they can't, it's checkmate - you win.

Pawn getting the end of the board can be traded for any other piece, usually a queen. If you still have your queen, you generally use a double-pawn as your second queen.

Here endeth the cool skool lesson.

No way!!!!

Its 7-1 to me, but he would defo have won more games if we knew this. Think we will have to reset the scores!!!

There's the stalemate too.

chess-stalemate-3.jpg

It the position where the king is not in check and has no legal move; the case above: the black king is not in check and is to move, however cannot without moving into check - it is a stalemate and is a marginal victory for black.

chess-stalemate-3.jpg

It the position where the king is not in check and has no legal move; the case above: the black king is not in check and is to move, however cannot without moving into check - it is a stalemate and is a marginal victory for black.

Good shout. I should have mentioned too that you can use other pieces to block check, rather than moving your king, except for if the attacking piece is a knight, since he can jump over other pieces.

When did OWTB get so street, y'all?

chess-stalemate-3.jpg

A marginal victory for black?

A marginal victory for black?

Yeah, avoided defeat against the odds.

That's right, a smart stalemate (or a forced stalemate against overwhelming odds) is far better than loss. It can be a draw too, it depends on the agreed rules before hand.

Great free Chess app on the ipad, it's really addictive. Can't believe how much I have improved after not playing since Limehurst Primary School Chess Club '85-'86….I quit as it was interfering with my marbles and Panini '86 swapping at dinner time….

I was captain of the chess team at St Joseph's school in Shaw.

There's Kasparov, Karpov then me.

Great free Chess app on the ipad, it's really addictive. Can't believe how much I have improved after not playing since Limehurst Primary School Chess Club '85-'86….I quit as it was interfering with my marbles and Panini '86 swapping at dinner time….

Football and marbles ruined many a promising chess career... :D

Football and marbles ruined many a promising chess career... :D

Football certainly wrecked mine. The teacher at school never forgave me after I refused to play for England U16s because it was on a Saturday and Latics were at home (worth it though, we beat Boro 4-1)

Edited by Latics & England

Hello again!!!!

Last night we were playing and my rook was on the square next to his bishop, which in turn was on the square next to his king. It was his move and he moved his bishop which left his king in clear danger. He said 'well its not trapped I will just move it next turn' but my rook could take his king, which I now know is not the aim of the game, so what happens. Has he lost?

Hello again!!!!

Last night we were playing and my rook was on the square next to his bishop, which in turn was on the square next to his king. It was his move and he moved his bishop which left his king in clear danger. He said 'well its not trapped I will just move it next turn' but my rook could take his king, which I now know is not the aim of the game, so what happens. Has he lost?

He can't make that move. You can't put your own king in check.