Taylor in no rush to sort out future...

I think we'd be lucky to get offered near that 250k Scunny offered this time last year. I'd definitely sell for that amount even if he was willing to sign a new deal. Think we've both gone as far as we can with each other, he's not really been consistently good and for every good game he has he's anonymous for another. Add to that he's probably on a fair chunk on the wage bill.

Sell and bring in Robbie Simpson.

we wont get more than 150k for him he can speak to people jan 1st as well, he is entitled to that, like prozac said he has bagged us money more than 250k i would say from the goal alone, a win in the 2nd round was approx 87,000

He found bit of form last two games he is in the shop window

Hope a deal is done, we want to add to the quality we have not replace it if we are serious about going places

we wont get more than 150k for him he can speak to people jan 1st as well, he is entitled to that, like prozac said he has bagged us money more than 250k i would say from the goal alone, a win in the 2nd round was approx 87,000

He found bit of form last two games he is in the shop window

Hope a deal is done, we want to add to the quality we have not replace it if we are serious about going places

I would love to keep most of this squad together and maybe make 2 or 3 quality additions in the summer, instead of the wholesale changes we have seen year on year going back to the summer of hell….continuity can bring success. Players like Henry, Barrett, Marshall etc…were not World beaters initially, but they excelled when staying part of a team that grew TOGETHER….

Edited by oafcprozac

How many more times can we tell him to stay and fight for promotion? We're still outsiders for the play offs and the cup run is taking more focus this season.

Taylor has expressed a desire to play at a higher level and it's unlikely it will be with us in the near future. Maybe a trip to Wembley will keep him here but that won't be confirmed until after the transfer window has closed.

Maybe if things are looking good after the 1st leg against Chesterfield he might be tempted to sign a years contract with the option not to step in his way in the summer if a bid comes in? That way both parties win?

Perhaps he could sign for Liverpool after impressing in the Cup, and be loaned back to Latics for the rest of the season....

.....or am I thinking of someone else?

Scott McNiven? Andy Holt?

As I mentioned in another topic - I was chatting to a championship club scout at the Southend who stated that plenty of scouts had looked at Taylor over the last year or so - but many are of the opinion that something is missing with him and maybe his chance of a decent move may have gone - we'll see.

If he's in no rush and hopes to get interest from elsewhere then let him move on - he's time to improve and make it a higher level.....Just!!

As I mentioned in another topic - I was chatting to a championship club scout at the Southend who stated that plenty of scouts had looked at Taylor over the last year or so - but many are of the opinion that something is missing with him and maybe his chance of a decent move may have gone - we'll see.

If he's in no rush and hopes to get interest from elsewhere then let him move on - he's time to improve and make it a higher level.....Just!!

precisely what I and others having been saying for ages - if he was THAT good he'd have gone when he was really good 4 years ago in our playoff year when Leeds atc were sniffing around.

BUT they have all seen that bit missing in his game and that is end product on a consistent basis - his game is also very predictable.

With Taylor, his pace isn't what it once was so the right wing is a bit challenging for him, whereas the left wing he at least can cut in and cross/shoot - EXCEPT this is what he RARELY does - lots of run, stop, turn back, pass back; or cut inside, run and pass back - Charlton highlights indicate he actually attacked as a winger and delivered supply so he no doubt can do it, i just dont think he has the intelligence to ever think like a winger.

Rick Holden and Neil Adams both used to get the ball and run at their fullback before firing a cross over, Eyresy twisted and turned but you knew he was doing it to fool the fullback and/or create space for him to fire a cross over.

Chris needs to be doing this for Kuqi and co week in week out, either from the left cutting in or as a right winger - as a striker if you knew that he sole aim when getting the ball was to supply a cross then you would know yourself where to position/run and it would be so much easier to get into goalscoring positions.

Sadly he never has and never will do this consistently in my opinion.

There is a reason why those years passed by with clubs knowing our asking price and not placing a bid - not championsip standard - willing trier and does have ability, he just misses that consistent end product to make it in my opinion.

Never know maybe someone would take a punt on him as a free and instruct him to only have the sole aim to provide crosses with the pace he does have and maybe he would then prove me wrong.

If he stays great but if offered 150k in Jan unless he adamantly doesnt want to go i'd cash in and get simmo and another winger in.

Scapuzzi, whilst not being outstanding by any stretch so far, he is instantly recognisably better than Taylor in that he has the pace to glide past players and the skill and trickery to beat them and create something - Taylor is run, cut inside, get stopped - one dimensional sadly.

Do as you please Chris - if anyone is brutally honest with themselves i'd think if they asked themselves 'would we really miss CT?' the answer would be a 'no, not really'.

Effort every game not in question.

Thanks for the Liverpool payday Chris, do as you please regards you future and all the best whether you stay or go.

Edited by shefflatic

I think if Taylor is to develop further his best chance is to move on to somewhere new it might kickstart his development he's gone as far as he can here a change of scenary could really help him. If he leaves good luck to him its clear that over the last 5 years whenever we have been playing well he has been an intergral part of that and Latics playing well has usually resulted in us playing well but its gone abit stale for him. The best case scenario is he goes in january we get somekind oif a fee and we say thanks very much and part on good terms.

The thing is, it's looking increasingly likely that he'll leave for free at the end of the season. If he does, it's extremely unlikely we'll find a replacement. For that reason, we'd be far better off getting him under contract, because the "we wouldn't miss him" stuff is bollocks. We would.

The thing is, it's looking increasingly likely that he'll leave for free at the end of the season. If he does, it's extremely unlikely we'll find a replacement. For that reason, we'd be far better off getting him under contract, because the "we wouldn't miss him" stuff is bollocks. We would.

We did when he was out injured a few weeks ago.

With Taylor, his pace isn't what it once was so the right wing is a bit challenging for him, whereas the left wing he at least can cut in and cross/shoot - EXCEPT this is what he RARELY does - lots of run, stop, turn back, pass back; or cut inside, run and pass back - Charlton highlights indicate he actually attacked as a winger and delivered supply so he no doubt can do it, i just dont think he has the intelligence to ever think like a winger.

Rick Holden and Neil Adams both used to get the ball and run at their fullback before firing a cross over, Eyresy twisted and turned but you knew he was doing it to fool the fullback and/or create space for him to fire a cross over.

I personally think Chris suffers more than most from the blue tinters. I've enjoyed Latics wingers since Tommy Wright got the ball and scored a goal but I can also remember him going up blind alleys or hoofing the cross too deep. Same as the other famous latics wingers, manys the time their end product was poor but time is kind and these bad runs or bad crosses are forgotten.

Plus the game has changed, players are much, much fitter these days, it is rare to come across a full back who isn't a butcher's dog, not that long ago if a full back had a bit of pace they were converted into a winger, now, if a full back doesn't have pace they are let go. The chances of a winger getting to the line and whipping a cross in are much decreased, even in this poxy league, as such a player does have to be a bit smarter, as does the whole team.

Taylor is not without his faults, some of which are over stated but he does bring a hell of a lot to the team on the pitch, his good work is often under stated and to compare him to players from the past who were also flawed (despite being some of my favourite ever players, I think Wright was my first true latics favourite, I was gutted when we sold him) can do Taylor a bit of a dis-service.

Edited by beag_teeets

I dont buy the replace him with simpson card, if we sell tayls and then he simpson comes in and gets injured 1st game where would that leave us? Having more quality brings the best out in players who have to fight to keep the shirt week in week out

As said before we want to add to the quality we have not replace it, also having the local lad is a good inspiration for local teams who have kids we try and poach before citeh and utd get dirty paws on them

That said signing simpson is a must, expect a deal to be announced soon regarding that i would imagine after a few clauses ironed out with hudds

how much do we reckon he is on?

he was on his way to a championship club last january but a few people ruined the deal for him so its no surprise.

I reckon without having to pay a fee a few more clubs will be interested in him, Think this will be last season he has in a latics shirt - and you cant fault him really.

Me too

First sign of madness that you know......

It's such an interesting debate whenever Taylor is discussed on here - he really does divide opinion. At the ground too; you hear both extremes all the time; the "Bloody Hell Taylor" brigade along with the encouragers……

I've posted a few days back on the contracts thread where I'm at with it / him.

Firstly - I'll go on record as saying I rate Taylor a lot, I see what he brings to side and how when he plays he adds to our dynamic. I'm also balanced enough to see his flaws too; of which there are a fair few too.

I'd love him to commit to us for another few years; I really would.

I just happen to think that his (& more importantly his agents) mind is already made up & he want to leave at the end of the season on a free. He'll be 25 years old, a genuine Bosman free transfer and he'll be able to take advantage of that in any negotiations with other side. What they would have had to pay out in a fee in January; can be negotiated as a % of a signing on fee for him come the summer. He's personally in the best position he's ever been in, as the outright transfer fee or a subsequent Compo fee that may have put a few a few off will have gone.

I want us to & hope that we will do, put a very decent offer on the table to Chris to keep him here. If the feedback isn't positive, or through his agent we start to be messed about, I'd then want us to move on. I don't want the club held to ransom, and I wouldn't want us messed about whilst being used a bargaining tool. If he wants to sign up again on a good deal we've offer; magic & happy days. If he wants to seek better offers & pastures new, then so be it.

The free signing of Josh Parker for me has shown that there are lads out there who we will be able to bring in; discarded by Premiership or Championship sides, who can come in to our side and perform for us. Loan deals like Robbie Simpson & Luca Scapuzzi also show that there are short - medium term fixes also available.

Players come & go. If he does go - I'll be sad to see him leave; but he'd go with my best wishes & my thanks for his years of service. But, he could be replaced - maybe not easily, but without a fee being spent; IMO he could be replaced.