BP may be a dump

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather hug a statue than a rotting corpse

It's not beyond the realms of competence to sympathetically redevelop Boundary Park.

It might be a bit of a tip at present, but in it's original 4 sided format, it was a cracking little ground.

What I loved about it was the overall sense of proportion, and even though the side stands didn't go the full length of the pitch, the paddock areas in front of the seats gave it a sense of depth that belied it's small size and imbued a sense of occasion. Even if we're doomed to stay all seater, any architect worth his salt should be able to grasp this fact...

... Ah, but I forgot, this is the town that gave us St. Peter's precinct...

The RRE should be good for a while yet,Chaddy is adequate.Today I went corporate at Chesterfield.They took me on a ground tour,everything was in one stand and easily acessible,dresssing rooms,board room etc,lovely meal and executive seating.Build a new main stand on the old Lookers and we are off and running.After all a ground tour only has to include a main stand tour.

I now live in Stafford, the nearest ground to me is Stoke City (maybe Wolves). They moved from the Victoria Ground to the Britannia Stadium when in the lower leagues and when it was a quarter full it was a 'soulless' new stadium. Now that it's full every week it has developed a reputatuon as the noisiest ground. My point? Stadiums need supporters to create the atmosphere, no matter how Boundary Park is re-designed it won't be particualrly atmospheric with crowds of 3-6k. It's bound to be more impressive however and a better football 'experience'.

Like at Stoke it's only success that will really bring the crowds back, with PD though I think we might well achieve something.

I now live in Stafford, the nearest ground to me is Stoke City (maybe Wolves). They moved from the Victoria Ground to the Britannia Stadium when in the lower leagues and when it was a quarter full it was a 'soulless' new stadium. Now that it's full every week it has developed a reputatuon as the noisiest ground. My point? Stadiums need supporters to create the atmosphere, no matter how Boundary Park is re-designed it won't be particualrly atmospheric with crowds of 3-6k. It's bound to be more impressive however and a better football 'experience'.

Like at Stoke it's only success that will really bring the crowds back, with PD though I think we might well achieve something.

Some people will actually go just because it's a new stadium no matter what the team is doing .

Look at Chesterfield yesterday , over 6000 for a team bottom of the league and their town is only the same size as Oldham.

The ground looked fairly full yesterday and one like that would generate far more atmosphere than BP when its half empty.

It's very noticable that when clubs get a new ground in most cases the team improves as well and they are far better off long term.

BP is a decaying shambles of a ground and a large number of people must be put off going just becuase of that.

Edited by losesome

The RRE should be good for a while yet,Chaddy is adequate.Today I went corporate at Chesterfield.They took me on a ground tour,everything was in one stand and easily acessible,dresssing rooms,board room etc,lovely meal and executive seating.Build a new main stand on the old Lookers and we are off and running.After all a ground tour only has to include a main stand tour.

I agree, re-build on the Lookers site the new main stand incorporating all the offices/dressing rooms/exec boxs etc. The RRE and Chaddy will do for now. Build a new one tierd stand on Sheepfoot Lane. Stick the away fans in the Chaddy! If the new stand holds 6-7k we have a 16/17k Stadium with a bit of character and the facilities to make money all year round

As reported in the rarely-wrong Chron in March 2011:

... should a Chesterfield-style complex be made reality then the Athletic chairman believes it will bring back plenty of fans who find the Boundary Park experience unpalatable.

"Unless we get some kind of investment, where someone comes in who is not really interested in what happens to his money and throws resources at the club, you are not going to be able to stay at Boundary Park," Corney added.

"It needs to be completely rebuilt. The offices are a state, the stands are a state, the facilities are poor and you go to the bathrooms on match days and it is a horrible experience.

"It doesn't encourage people to come along. If you look at the stadiums that have been built over the last few years in League One and Two, the vast majority of those sides have done very well.

"You just have to look at Chesterfield this year for example, who have added another 4,000 to their gate.

"We can stay at Boundary Park. It is not really a problem but what will happen is we will lose a few hundred fans every year.

"Eventually you are down to 2,000 and you can't sustain a League One or even a League Two club on those numbers.

"You can't actually sustain a League One club on the numbers we have now.

"We didn't come to Oldham to stand still. We came to take it forward. We have made mistakes, we know that.

"But to stay at a ground which goes downhill year after year will see us end up a non-league club."

So, as the man says, if the Club is to stay at BP, what is needed is "some kind of investment, where someone comes in who is not really interested in what happens to his money and throws resources at the club" - simples!

Meanwhile, we wait and hope. Of course if the current feel-good factor produces more bums on seats at BP, it may make the investment prospect more appealing to that elusive "someone".

I dont get why people presume we have to have a brand spanking new stadium like chesterfield/colchester etc. I would hate for us to go down the same route. personally think it would be an acceptance we are never gunna get any higher than league 1 ever again.

what would the harm be in spending the majority of the budget on a 5000 seater main stand with all the facilities etc. very similar to hudds main stand. leave the rest as it is for now, arguably the main stand needs ripping down but the rre and the chaddy are perfectly acceptable- probably better than average actually for our level.

if we ever do reach new levels we can think abbout further redevelopment then, but its the confrencing and banqueting stuff we need desperately.

I dont get why people presume we have to have a brand spanking new stadium like chesterfield/colchester etc. I would hate for us to go down the same route. personally think it would be an acceptance we are never gunna get any higher than league 1 ever again.

what would the harm be in spending the majority of the budget on a 5000 seater main stand with all the facilities etc. very similar to hudds main stand. leave the rest as it is for now, arguably the main stand needs ripping down but the rre and the chaddy are perfectly acceptable- probably better than average actually for our level.

if we ever do reach new levels we can think abbout further redevelopment then, but its the confrencing and banqueting stuff we need desperately.

Lets say we got a new stadium with a 10,000 capacity and sold it out every week with all the add ons such as hospitality and conferencing, Latics break even and actually have money to invest in the squad, thus giving us a greater chance of promotion.

How is that accepting league 1 as our level?

Chesterfield used to get smaller attendances than us now they have a new groud and got nearly 6000 home fans yesterday and they are bottom of the league probably twice what we would get if we were in that position. Personally I find that depressing because they now have better crowds if they go down they will have a better chance of bouncing back up.

I really hate this concept that grounda have no soul or such a place was a dump but it was our dump. The Vetch Field was a dump and had "character" how many Swansea fans do you reckon are saying "Y'know what we really should have stayed at our spiritual home playing infront of 3000 every week in divison 4 instead of 20,000+ sell outs every week in the Premiership in there "souless bowl"

I agree, re-build on the Lookers site the new main stand incorporating all the offices/dressing rooms/exec boxs etc. The RRE and Chaddy will do for now. Build a new one tierd stand on Sheepfoot Lane. Stick the away fans in the Chaddy! If the new stand holds 6-7k we have a 16/17k Stadium with a bit of character and the facilities to make money all year round

Good One

Chesterfield used to get smaller attendances than us now they have a new groud and got nearly 6000 home fans yesterday and they are bottom of the league probably twice what we would get if we were in that position. Personally I find that depressing because they now have better crowds if they go down they will have a better chance of bouncing back up.

I really hate this concept that grounda have no soul or such a place was a dump but it was our dump. The Vetch Field was a dump and had "character" how many Swansea fans do you reckon are saying "Y'know what we really should have stayed at our spiritual home playing infront of 3000 every week in divison 4 instead of 20,000+ sell outs every week in the Premiership in there "souless bowl"

Good point well made!!!

Simple fact is the crowd for the game was at least 50% higher than it might have been expected to be at Boundary Park.

That's for a club that has no great history, a small fanbase and which is currently propping up the table.

We've got 2 of those. If both Sheffield clubs and Derby were in the Premier League (or doing well in the Championship), I don't think they would get as many as they do now, new stadium or not. With all things equal; compared to us though they are certainly doing better attendance wise for home games.

I despise that kind of stadium. Soulless, bland hellholes. Deepdale is a perfect example of how new (or re-developed) grounds can/should be.

With Deepdale they based their design on the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa. I'm no expert in Architecture but I'm guessing that most modern stadiums abroad look a lot more stylish because they make a bit more effort with the design with the downside being that they probably cost more to build (but in a lot of cases they're heavily funded by local councils), so most clubs in this country go for the cheap option

Simple fact is the crowd for the game was at least 50% higher than it might have been expected to be at Boundary Park.

That's for a club that has no great history, a small fanbase and which is currently propping up the table.

To be fair though, it's not only the stadium. Chesterfield may be bottom, but they will have gained new fans from last years endeavours alone - for Chesterfield to have both Sheffield clubs in their division is like us having City & Utd. They're also - lest we forget!!!! - 2 steps away from a possible Wembley appearance. Chesterfield are riding the crest of a wave & are neck and neck with their behemoth neighbours, while we have been stagnating & watching the already huge gap between us & our Manc chums widen.

Despite their insistance that Ronaldo Moorealdo was sacked because of dwindling attendances, in our first few home games under Sheridan, we only got around 4,000 fans (Vale & Swansea in August). By New Years Day, we had over 8,000 home fans inside BP. If we'd gone up, I'd wager we'd likely have been getting around 6,000 home fans for any given game, more for bigger games. The big, shiny stadium helps - obviously fiscally, it's crucial - but in terms of attendance, it's a little bit of a placebo. If the product is good - granted, with us it has to be very, very good - they will come back.

To be fair though, it's not only the stadium. Chesterfield may be bottom, but they will have gained new fans from last years endeavours alone - for Chesterfield to have both Sheffield clubs in their division is like us having City & Utd. They're also - lest we forget!!!! - 2 steps away from a possible Wembley appearance. Chesterfield are riding the crest of a wave & are neck and neck with their behemoth neighbours, while we have been stagnating & watching the already huge gap between us & our Manc chums widen.

Despite their insistance that Ronaldo Moorealdo was sacked because of dwindling attendances, in our first few home games under Sheridan, we only got around 4,000 fans (Vale & Swansea in August). By New Years Day, we had over 8,000 home fans inside BP. If we'd gone up, I'd wager we'd likely have been getting around 6,000 home fans for any given game, more for bigger games. The big, shiny stadium helps - obviously fiscally, it's crucial - but in terms of attendance, it's a little bit of a placebo. If the product is good - granted, with us it has to be very, very good - they will come back.

you only have to look to Mk Fake to see that new stadiums don't mean more fans!

I despise that kind of stadium. Soulless, bland hellholes. Deepdale is a perfect example of how new (or re-developed) grounds can/should be.

EXACTLY!

Which is why I asked "does it need to be so bland and synthetic?". New grounds can be built interesting.

A redeveloped BP would look fine. Four individual-looking stands. An imposing main stand. Rather than four identical-looking cold, clinical breezeblock lego constructions on a site 3 miles out of town.