I do not comment on the site very often because I was asked by fans not to. However I frequently visit to grasp the feeling of fans and take very careful note of what is said.

On this occasion I need to rationalise the situation.

My first and foremost duty as Chairman of the Trust at the present time is to represent the fans interests. Whilst some disagree I do my utmost to fulfill this duty.

Since the unfortunate and very quick retirement of Alan Hardy someone has had to do much of the day to day work associated with the responsibilities that a Chief Executive post carries. All of my colleagues on the Board have other jobs to consider whilst I am retired. My wife would disagree that I have sufficient time to do the work I am doing and many private sacrifices have been made to help the club.

I have neither the desire or intention to seek the role on a full time basis and my activities are merely to help until a successor to Alan is found.

The post has recently been reviewed and applicants sought.I am not one of them. I am happy with my lot and what I do voluntarily for the club.

During Alan's retirement I have not been compromised in any way and indeed as in all cases the best interests of the club always come first whatever task I do.

Whilst I do not have to justify myself with my past experiences, I can assure everyone that after serving as a Director for 7 years and after drawing on my administrative and man-management experience in my previous work, I have found little difficulty in assisting the club in a temporary capacity. Other Board Members are equally qualified.

With hindsight it may have been better to merely sign off as " Director" as opposed to "Acting Chief Executive" in the few documents that the statement appears,but given that I pay little attention to titles, I did not believe that anything would be read into it.

I hope this clarifies any confusion in the matter

Barry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pine Villains stoop to new low.

I disagree.

While the style of writing may irritate some, the questions posed are relevant.

It's a bit like the head of your trade union becoming the big cheese where you work - and continuing union duties.

So can we now let Barry get on with registering all those loans by the noon deadline tomorrow, ready for Friday's game

I'm not standing in the way!

Simon Corney has said that several applications for the job have been received.

Barry is surely only acting in a very temporary fashion and at a time when the club really needs someone to fill the role. Cup matches, ticketing, transfer window etc require that someone who knows the ins and outs of the club is in position.

Perhaps we should look at the interests of the club in this busy period rather than use this as another stick to beat Barry with?

Sorry you disagreed with this enough to give a negative rating Rummy. Any particular points?

The question being put forward in the blog isn't Barry suitability to be the CEO... (Although I believe its fine for fans to talk about this as, end of the day, it is an important position in the club)

Its the conflict of interest (or at least the suggested conflict of interest) in being the fans representative while holding such a position in the club....

The thing is though... Regardless if you are a director or a CEO it is still holding a positing within the club and its still arguable that their could be a conflict of interest with the role of representing the fans. So it existed before he became CEO. Its the problem with having a position on the board and we have talked about this a lot.

Its a big issue... but only if the trust can show its actually getting some decent level of support... I get the feeling it isn't these days.

So its simple... You either happy with it all and support the trust and its aims, or like me, you feel uncomfortable and you don't...

I don't suppose you can complain if your not a member though... Its an issue for the members overall...

The question being put forward in the blog isn't Barry suitability to be the CEO... (Although I believe its fine for fans to talk about this as, end of the day, it is an important position in the club)

Its the conflict of interest (or at least the suggested conflict of interest) in being the fans representative while holding such a position in the club....

The thing is though... Regardless if you are a director or a CEO it is still holding a positing within the club and its still arguable that their could be a conflict of interest with the role of representing the fans. So it existed before he became CEO. Its the problem with having a position on the board and we have talked about this a lot.

Its a big issue... but only if the trust can show its actually getting some decent level of support... I get the feeling it isn't these days.

So its simple... You either happy with it all and support the trust and its aims, or like me, you feel uncomfortable and you don't...

I don't suppose you can complain if your not a member though... Its an issue for the members overall...

Your to rational for this site Mr Pine Villain... :)

Sorry you disagreed with this enough to give a negative rating Rummy. Any particular points?

As oafc0000 has quite rightly pointed out, The Villains have highlighted a conflict of interest; Ackey has also indicated a slant in Barry's statement that adds to that, which in my opinion is high if not higher on the club business agenda than anything else at this precise moment. As a Trust member myself - I maintain that Barry is not the person to head up the Trust, I don't know who is before anyone chirps in, neither is he the ideal candidate for CEO. So the opportunity now to create a whole new dynasty is there for the taking - it's a wonderful position to be in - potential gate receipts from two massive games is the foundation to next seasons successes both on and off the field.

Let's not be shortsighted about this Pete, it is vital for the future of Oldham Athletic that they get this decision right.

As oafc0000 has quite rightly pointed out, The Villains have highlighted a conflict of interest; Ackey has also indicated a slant in Barry's statement that adds to that, which in my opinion is high if not higher on the club business agenda than anything else at this precise moment. As a Trust member myself - I maintain that Barry is not the person to head up the Trust, I don't know who is before anyone chirps in, neither is he the ideal candidate for CEO. So the opportunity now to create a whole new dynasty is there for the taking - it's a wonderful position to be in - potential gate receipts from two massive games is the foundation to next seasons successes both on and off the field.

Let's not be shortsighted about this Pete, it is vital for the future of Oldham Athletic that they get this decision right.

Thanks for replying.

Yes there is a "potential" conflict but my view is that it's vital that, right now, we have someone acting as CE who knows the club - and, as Wardle pointed out, Barry ticks those boxes.

There's a case for saying that being pernickety over Barry in this twin role is the the shortsighted position. He has made it clear it's not his ambition to apply for the job , and he doesn't want it. If we can't accept that that, for a few weeks at an incredibly busy and important time, he's the best person around to fill in for Alan Hardy, then we could be cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

Can I just say... I don't see the default value in having a CEO who "knows the club"... What is the great value in this in a CEO...

Companies all the time inject a fresh CEO to take a company forward, give it new direction, new energy, and by god does Oldham Athletic need something like that.

Oldham Athletic / Football isn't a complex business. There is nothing really special about it.

Can I just say... I don't see the default value in having a CEO who "knows the club"... What is the great value in this in a CEO...

Companies all the time inject a fresh CEO to take a company forward, give it new direction, new energy, and by god does Oldham Athletic need something like that.

Oldham Athletic / Football isn't a complex business. There is nothing really special about it.

Agreed BUT this isn't a permanent appointment!

And, as has been pointed out by others, a knowledge of football regs etc is absolutely vital ( the example of Bury was given).

Edit: Neither you nor I are Trust members and it's for them to consider the issue of Trust representation.

I'm concerned about the club getting through the next few weeks, enjoying the trip to Anfield , and then a good permanent replacement being appointed for Alan Hardy.

Edited by LaticsPete

Regarding the article, my view is simply that at this moment in time, this does not make Barrys position as chairman of the trust untenable. However, I most definitely do not think that it is wrong to ask the questions such as those asked in the article.

The possibility of Barry being faced with making a decision as acting Chief Executive of Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football club, that may compromise in some way the activities of Trust Oldham has to be taken into account, and the longer he is in the position as acting CEO, the more likely it is that this scenario could be encountered.

However, Barry has stated in his post above that he is only holding the fort as such until the appointment of the new CEO. As a fully paid up Trust member, my view is I don't have any issues with Barry doing the job on a temporary basis only, so long as

1) He is qualified to do the job, which I think he is for the reasons wardlelatic has stated

2) A full time appointment for the role is imminent, and likely to be made within the very near future.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

The statement made from the Club I believe came from Barry today, what ever your thoughts seems it has gone done very well with Liverpool and the media.

A Dignified and positive way to handle the possible minefield was once response to it today !

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

Not bad for a retired copper :wink:

The statement made from the Club I believe came from Barry today, what ever your thoughts seems it has gone done very well with Liverpool and the media.

A Dignified and positive way to handle the possible minefield was once response to it today !

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

I didnt rate the statement. He could have asked for a couple of players to compensate us.Not Carrageher though, hes's :censored:e. :ranting:

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

It's a cracker. Credit where credit's due.

Especially the last line :wink: .

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

Really ! Alan Hardy responds to his emails which sadly Barry does not.

Ah well,the fans' arent that important after all.