• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Trust member, so I suppose it's none of my business.

But at the very least I think a replacement, in an Acting capacity, should be installed.

Were the Trust even consulted?

(I'm quite intrigued at the suitability for the role of Chief Executive, but that's another story altogether)

Edited by opinions4u

Simon Corney has said that several applications for the job have been received.

Barry is surely only acting in a very temporary fashion and at a time when the club really needs someone to fill the role. Cup matches, ticketing, transfer window etc require that someone who knows the ins and outs of the club is in position.

Perhaps we should look at the interests of the club in this busy period rather than use this as another stick to beat Barry with?

Simon Corney has said that several applications for the job have been received.

Barry is surely only acting in a very temporary fashion and at a time when the club really needs someone to fill the role. Cup matches, ticketing, transfer window etc require that someone who knows the ins and outs of the club is in position.

Perhaps we should look at the interests of the club in this busy period rather than use this as another stick to beat Barry with?

I would agree with this- although what the other two board members do is beyond me or that bloke that was made President not long ago, though I suppose Mr. Owen is the most senior person on the board after Mr. Corney. However, if Mr. Owen is still acting chief executive come August I will change my mind after all what does an ex-copper (who can't have progressed that high) know about budgeting to the level required. If it remains the same in August, if I was a member of the trust (I'm not going to join without major changes to your election process so don't ask) I would be questioning his suitability to be the trust representative on the board.

If SC believes he is the best man to act, then he is the best man to act. If someone needs to do the role then surely that's better than leaving it vacant.

'A cynic may say he's had his eyes on it for a while' (or words to that effect). What an arseish thing to say. The previous Chief Exec is battling a horrible and dangerous illness and by all accounts has been for a while. To say someone has been eyeing the position up is shameful given the circumstances of Hardy's departure, especially with no basis of fact (or not one the author wishes to disclose).

Shame.

If SC believes he is the best man to act, then he is the best man to act. If someone needs to do the role then surely that's better than leaving it vacant.

'A cynic may say he's had his eyes on it for a while' (or words to that effect). What an arseish thing to say. The previous Chief Exec is battling a horrible and dangerous illness and by all accounts has been for a while. To say someone has been eyeing the position up is shameful given the circumstances of Hardy's departure, especially with no basis of fact (or not one the author wishes to disclose).

Shame.

I'll re-read the article. Key points:

A cynic might suggest that Owen has had one eye on such an opportunity for some time.

Perhaps a bit naughty, but then Pine Villains is (I think) intended to push the barriers a little. A cynic may, however, suggest such things. A cynic could be proved right or wrong. I don't really think the comment is made in respect to Alan Hardy's illness at all.

Can his Trust position really be tenable whilst he acts as CEO of the club?

My first take on it is that it puts across the view that the roles of Chief Executive and Fans Representitive on the board are bound to have rather significant conflicts of interest.

I'd be quite interested to hear an official view from the Trust. It is, after all, their voice that has this conflict of interest.

Edited by opinions4u

Shame.

What has Hardy's illness got to do with it? The implication is simply that Owen may well have favoured the opportunity to take a salaried position on the board, without having to be the voice of the minions and not that he was specifically eyeing Hardy's job and certainly not that he was wishing his illness upon him, if that's what you're trying to suggest.

Only temporary. If he does get it in a full time role then position in the trust opens up and we have a new fan representative on the board (if any fan is willing!). Say whatever about Barry, but he's an oldham athletic fan who will do what if best for the club, if he appointed as CEO on full-time basis (and that is if he does want it).

What has Hardy's illness got to do with it? The implication is simply that Owen may well have favoured the opportunity to take a salaried position on the board, without having to be the voice of the minions and not that he was specifically eyeing Hardy's job and certainly not that he was wishing his illness upon him, if that's what you're trying to suggest.

That certainly wasn't the implication which appeared when I read it. Having looked through again, I still think it reads like he could have had his eye on the chief exec job specifically. Good if you didn't mean it like that, but like I said, it is how it reads to me. I don't know whether others will agree.

Barrys current role is to represent the club with the administration duties of a CEO until a time a reacement can be found.

While on enforced leave someone had to cover Alan's duties liasing with opposition clubs for both home and away fixtures and day to day operations. Other board members did not have the time or experience to fulfil this temporary role, one I don't believe Barry has applied for?

At no time has Barry put the Trust in a compromising position and safe guards are in place so no one person can go against their Trust roles while occupying the Chair.

I'm sure Simon Corney is thankful for help given by the trust in Alan's absence so that extra covering expences is not accosted, ensuring the CEO position is covered until a replacement is found.

Surely mike Newton has more experience/qualifications at Director level than Barry, to step into the breach.

Let's assumei t is very temporary and not too many critical documents to sign.

I'm sure Mike Newton will still make his views known.

I presume the Board of Directors will make any CEO appointment, and I can't see Barry Owen applying unless he was guaranteed the job by his fellow directors. I would have thought the likes of Simon Corney and Mike Newton would in any case prefer a younger person with some football administrative experience.

I think if we knew what Barry did we might be abit more supportive I know he was heavily involved in the Lee Hughes transfer but that was over 4 years ago what does he do on a day to day, week to week, even a month to month basis. Also what makes him qualified to do the position of acting CEO. This is not a dig at Barry I'd just like to know what he does because it doesn't appear obvious from the outside.

I think if we knew what Barry did we might be abit more supportive I know he was heavily involved in the Lee Hughes transfer but that was over 4 years ago what does he do on a day to day, week to week, even a month to month basis. Also what makes him qualified to do the position of acting CEO. This is not a dig at Barry I'd just like to know what he does because it doesn't appear obvious from the outside.

• 7 years experience working with the club on day to day matters
  • Know club staff to make Alans Absence run smoothly as possible.
  • Understanding of FA Regulations and player regs
  • Budget and cost controlling experience
  • Time,(Only active Director in the country everyday)

Barry has always helped Alan and the club with club matters, recently has as been conducting a review of the club, ensuring that money is saved where possible. His role as Chief Super of GMP meant he controlled police resources and budgets giving him good experience to fullfil this current role.

How much can it cost letting a player play in a cup match by not having someone with experince be club sec or CEO ??? Ask Bury FC - BURY were expelled from the FA Cup for fielding an ineligible player in 2006 (?) because someone didnt understand the regs...

Barry has always helped Alan and the club with club matters, recently has as been conducting a review of the club, ensuring that money is saved where possible. His role as Chief Super of GMP meant he controlled police resources and budgets giving him good experience to fullfil this current role.

How much can it cost letting a player play in a cup match by not having someone with experince be club sec or CEO ??? Ask Bury FC - BURY were expelled from the FA Cup for fielding an ineligible player in 2006 (?) because someone didnt understand the regs...

Thanks for that.

Love him or loathe him you don't get to the rank of Chief Superintendent by accident so Barry can't be completely stupid, despite more than the occasional foot in mouth moment on here. I doubt very many of us on here (and I include myself in that) would have either the brains or the determination to go that high up the tree. I wouldn't mind his pension though, that must be a pretty penny or two :grin:

Love him or loathe him you don't get to the rank of Chief Superintendent by accident so Barry can't be completely stupid, despite more than the occasional foot in mouth moment on here. I doubt very many of us on here (and I include myself in that) would have either the brains or the determination to go that high up the tree. I wouldn't mind his pension though, that must be a pretty penny or two :grin:

Very true.

235px-HomertheGreat.png

Never heard such utter tosh in all my life as this thread ,

All this talk about Barry being qualified to do the CEO job or not.

What on earth do you think other CEO's did before they got the CEO's job !!!!!!!!!!

How anybody can make such pathetic assumptions on somebody they probably don't know is beyond me.

Barry is obviously helping out while SC looks for a replacement , however , during that time he may aquit himself so well that he gets the job , he may not and they will appointment somebody else.

He may not even want the job and is only helping out.

For godsake get off his back and give the guy some credit - or step forward the big mouth that thinks they can do it better ????