Do you think home attendances will go up following the Liverpool game?

Do you think home attendances will go up following the Liverpool game?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think home attendances will go up following the Liverpool game?

• Yes
    • No

I thought we played well for the first half, lost our way a little bit towards the end. They got a dodgy peno, but we still was on the bck foot for the last 10 - 15 mins of the first half. Second half didn't do too much, but think overall we showed we can play football, even with the big boys so yes ppl might come bck or even start to come!

I really wish it was the case, but the fact that twice our home support turned out tonight most likely showed that they only went because it was our biggest game since we went to Everton. They're not coming to watch us play the best football in a long time, so it's obvious they would rather sit in front of their TVs and tell everyone they "support" ManUre, Citeh or whoever they fancy that particular week/month/season.

Sad I know, but that's the fickle fan these days. Hats off to those who are there every week. If only there were more. This is one kiddie (laugh.gif) who'd be first in line for a season ticket if I still lived anywhere near.

No chance unfortunately the economic situation and the BP matchday experience is against us and once they get out of the habit of going week in week out it is doubly difficult to get them back.To be fair didn't hear the usual moans from the occasional fans, although the gutsy footballing performance gave even the most diehard pessemist little room for complaint.

Where I was sat and pre-match it seemed like a lot of the fans were "true" Oldham fans but for whatever reason they don't come week in week out, they made a special effort for Liverpool. I'm not sure if the extra we had tonight compared to the roughly 4000 we get at BP on a weekly basis will come for a more sustained period, it wasn't that long ago we were getting 6000 home fans on a weekly basis.

Its a sad state but there are lots of reasons why fans don't come to home games in the numbers they did a few years ago, one trip to Liverpool and seeing a team play that well for the first 45 minutes, won't change that. Getting to the play-offs will add a few more and I expect to see more Oldham fans at BP for the Chesterfield JPT game than the Chesterfield home league game but week in week out we won't see that number of fans turn up until we get promoted or key things around the the club and the world as a whole change.

Guest Scratch2000uk

There's thousands of OAFC fans, it's the quality of opposition and price, that puts people off. :blush:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

The club should contact the 3000 who bought tickets for this game but don't attend regularly to understand exactly why.

This was a great opportunity to lay the foundations to increase attendances long-term. Was anything done to capture names etc to conduct marketing etc?

The club should contact the 3000 who bought tickets for this game but don't attend regularly to understand exactly why.

This was a great opportunity to lay the foundations to increase attendances long-term. Was anything done to capture names etc to conduct marketing etc?

What planet are you on? I spent 3 hours in the queue freezing my knackers off to get my tickets, how long would it have taken if everyone had to fill in a questionnaire when they got to the front?

It won't have any effect on the home attendance I'm afraid.

Everyone went to that game knowing it was highly unlikely that we would win. But what they did know was it would be a fantastic matchday experience. A good old drink before the game, meeting up with mates and a cracking atmosphere with lots of singing. Basically everything you don't get at Boundary Park!

Until we have a decent stadium, I can't see much changing at all, cup runs or not.

Everyone went to that game knowing it was highly unlikely that we would win. But what they did know was it would be a fantastic matchday experience. A good old drink before the game, meeting up with mates and a cracking atmosphere with lots of singing. Basically everything you don't get at Boundary Park!

Until we have a decent stadium, I can't see much changing at all, cup runs or not.

Sad, but true. Shows what we're missing on a regular basis.

In addition to the stadium, with which I agree is a huge factor in non attendance, especially amongst the casual/non hardcore fans, I would throw into the equation the following

1) Being in the same division for 15 years.

2) A complete lack of any sustainable progress being made on and off the field. Too many false dawns, taking one step forward only to have to take two steps backwards, and the stark possibility that even at the end of this season, the chances are season ticket sales could drop by yet another couple of hundred, and according to SC we are still faced with losing well over half a mill even if they do get to Wembley, which could well result in the wage bill being cut yet again. Was it Graeme Sharp who said 'keep cutting the tree and it will fall'?

Where I was sat and pre-match it seemed like a lot of the fans were "true" Oldham fans but for whatever reason they don't come week in week out, they made a special effort for Liverpool. I'm not sure if the extra we had tonight compared to the roughly 4000 we get at BP on a weekly basis will come for a more sustained period, it wasn't that long ago we were getting 6000 home fans on a weekly basis.

This. I cannot afford to go to every match - the price of getting in plus the hundred mile journey each way for a home match means I cant go as often as I would like - including Liverpool I have been two 3 matches so far this season (the other two were Walsall and Charlton). I made a special effort for Liverpool as I have always wanted to visit Anfield, but I wont be going to another match for at least a month now. I will be tuning into LP every match though!

Its a sad state but there are lots of reasons why fans don't come to home games in the numbers they did a few years ago, one trip to Liverpool and seeing a team play that well for the first 45 minutes, won't change that. Getting to the play-offs will add a few more and I expect to see more Oldham fans at BP for the Chesterfield JPT game than the Chesterfield home league game but week in week out we won't see that number of fans turn up until we get promoted or key things around the the club and the world as a whole change.

Always was the situation regardless of what some people on here will have you believe. The vast vast vast majority of fans there last night were Oldham fans, not United or City fans etc. I'm sure there were a few, but c'est la vie. We have a lot of supporters, just not a lot who go to every game. The thousand or so who pay on the gate each week aren't the same thousand. I'm not afraid to admit it, I pick and choose my games. I bloody love the club, but it's an expensive habit and there are often other things that I want to spend my money on. When there's a big game (and I don't mean just Liverpool), I'll be there. When there's a fun away day, I'll be there. There are a lot of Latics fans who want to watch the club but don't want to enough/simply aren't able to go every week and pay for the privilege of doing so. For that reason, they (we) pick and choose the games they go to. Liverpool was a bloody no-brainer and that's why we easily sold 6,000 tickets.

See you at Chesterfield. :wink:

Maybe not an immediate effect, but the kids who were there will have been affected.

I know this for sure, as I walked back to the car with my dad and half-brother (8yo). He was asking when our next game was (he's now going to Hudds), what was after that (he'll be there against Exeter), and whether he could have a season ticket next season.

He's been to a few home games on and off over the past couple of years, and the odd away game, but mainly through my dad dragging him along, rather than through him requesting to come.

Maybe not an immediate effect, but the kids who were there will have been affected.

I know this for sure, as I walked back to the car with my dad and half-brother (8yo). He was asking when our next game was (he's now going to Hudds), what was after that (he'll be there against Exeter), and whether he could have a season ticket next season.

He's been to a few home games on and off over the past couple of years, and the odd away game, but mainly through my dad dragging him along, rather than through him requesting to come.

Half season tickets for the rest of this season are on sale.