Tumbleweed

The first half was desperate stuff , by both teams , that type of rubbish will keep the ground empty.

Without the penalty I doubt either team would have scored from open play if they played till Monday.

Morais was one of the better players , he never stopped trying .

Tranmere are clearly in a very bad place at this time ,despite their good draw against Charlton recently and we have struggled to get a solid look to our team in recent times partly due to key injuries.

Bizarre thing is .....win games in hand & play offs might only be 5 points away.

Bizarre thing is .....win games in hand & play offs might only be 5 points away.

Playoffs would obviously be great, but I'm initially concerned about getting the 15 points that would surely keep us up. Funnily enough I think achieving those points should be done by the end of March, so hopefully April will be a pressure-free outside chance of the top 6.

Massive 3 points.

Cisak- assured display on the whole

Lee- solid enough far from his best

Mvoto- solid bar one blip first half

Tarky-MOM after struggling early doors

Mellor- big fan but looked nervous today understandably

Morais- Top performance keep it up

Adeyemi- did well

Winchester- give him a run in the side

Taylor- industrious as per but why does him attacking the winger mean goal kick?

Kuqi- pleased he got his goal but pen was the only way it would come, some fantastic defensive headers but very nearly cost us with wanting to take a touch in our box

Simpson- favourite player, might even call my kid after him but poor today as were his set pieces. Still got an assist.

Kmb- last player I wanted to see come on especially when Morais was defending well and after mk but did well and kept the ball.

Back it up with 3 more on Tuesday and we can go to bramall lane with nothing to lose.

Edited by welshgaz

Massive 3 points.

Cisak- assured display on the whole

Lee- solid enough far from his best

Mvoto- solid bar one blip first half

Tarky-MOM after struggling early doors

Mellor- big fan but looked nervous today understandably

Morais- Top performance keep it up

Adeyemi- did well

Winchester- give him a run in the side

Taylor- industrious as per but why does him attacking the winger mean goal kick?

Kuqi- pleased he got his goal but pen was the only way it would come, some fantastic defensive headers but very nearly cost us with wanting to take a touch in our box

Simpson- favourite player, might even call my kid after him but poor today as were his set pieces. Still got an assist.

Kmb- last player I wanted to see come on especially when Morais was defending well and after mk but did well and kept the ball.

Back it up with 3 more on Tuesday and we can go to bramall lane with nothing to lose.

- Because he is nowhere near as good as most fans and the player himself thinks he is - a willing trier but nothing to show for it end product-wise

- i personally think kuqi does too much running for the team - i know he does it cos he gives a :censored: and wants to help the team but i can't help thinking if he saved his legs a bit more then the bursts of running he saves can be used higher up the pitch in and around the box.

he needs SERVICE and on the most part taylor and morais/kmb don't provide it.

If Kuqi knows the wingers will get it and look to go outside/inside their fullback and cross it over for him then he suddenly gets a lot more chances....not difficult to work out really is it..?

think the biggest positives from the game apart from kuqi getting a goal again was having winchester, mellor and tarky in. all three played well, especially tarkowski - my MOTM. winchester did nothing wrong and give him a few games and he'll keep the ball and play the simple pass. mellor looked like he wasnt told to get forward but that let him concentrate on defending and he was up against the morais-wannabe no.25 for tranmere. got to keep hold of those three.

Nobody has a bad game.

But the sum of the parts was, to be frank, pretty poor.

Tranmere were awful, but did give us one or twwo problems. I thought Taylor and Mellor working together defensively was excellent. Morais was my man of the match. Kuqi defended superbly at corners, although at the other end still didn't look right.

A shout out for Winchester and Tarky. Gems in the making. More gametime for both please.

My brother came out with a quite odd comment after today's game. He's a Liverpool fan but he's been to about half a dozen Latics games over the past few years, including both games last season v Tranmere and at least one game under Dave Penney. He insists that today is "the worst I've ever seen Oldham play". now i'll admit, we weren't great (it was painfully obviously that wasn't out first choice CM,we looked a bit panicky and scrappy at the back at times, and once again we wasted a shedload of chances upfront) but was that really worse than our performance v Tranmere at home last season? Maybe i'm being swayed by the fact the result (and the 'we want Parry out' chants were music to my ears), but i really didn't think it was that bad.

i've since remembered that he was there when Tranmere battered us 4-0 at Prenton Park, so he's talking :censored:e anyway.

Some highlights for me:

Two fine saves by Cisak in the first half, one pushing an attempt roiund the post and then an excellent reflex stop with his legs. He's not peerfect but he's the best Latics keeper for years and he'll get better with experience.

Tarkowski- again solid and read the game excellently. Again one that should get even better.

Kuqi - superb to see him score, albeit from the spot. His off the ball chasing and work is incredible. There was one incident late on in the game on the left side when he chased down a long ball, overtook and outmuscled a defender who'd had two yards start, and then played a lovely pass to Simpson on the edge of the box (who completely miskicked!).

Morais - didn't get much ball in the first half but after the interval was excellent. Two crosses from near the byline should have been rewarded with goals.

Winchester & Adeyemi - got stuck in and played with commitment. They're not wes & furman but gave it their all yesterday.

Its always dead on here after a win, but after a loss there's a 14 page thread on why PD should be sacked, the players aren't good enough & Corney kills puppies for fun.....it's sad but true - some people are happier moaning.

Yesterday was all about the result for me, pre-game; during the game & after the game......it was never going to a be a free flowing classic, we're on a bad run & they are on a worse one.......it was all about the 3 points & we got them.

MoM for me is a split decision between Tarky & Morais.

Young Tarky has been outstanding since his return to the side, and for me has shown a maturity beyond his years. I pointed out to mate yesterday how vocal Tarky was being...he was bossing the backline & midfield. He's taken over & is now in charge of all free-kicks bar in the final 3rd.

I know i'm blowing smoke up his arse but he's been mightily impressive. If he can add goals to his game, it'll complete the package for me. His 1 major flaw though is a lack of pace, he does lack that extra yard.....all told though, what a prospect.

As for "Phil Morris", he's been fantastic since he's forced his way back in. I was really critical of him early season; rightly so IMO, as he was hugely out of sorts. He's completely turned it around & has beeb of our better players now for the last few months. Top work Mr Morais, keep it up!

Big 3 points that - not a classic but all about the result

I have to say, I have seen some poor outfits at BP this season, Wycombe and Walsall immediately spring to mind but Tranmere were bloody awful. First-half we were equally as bad with not one shot on target, thankful to two excellent stops from young Alex. However, I was encouraged by young Carl's ability on and off the ball and I though Tom again was steady. We looked so much more balanced with players' playing in their proper position. Second-half, the early penalty definitely helped. It WAS a penalty and was certainly just inside the box and fair-play to Shefki for burying it. After that we grew in confidence and Robbie really should have buried that chance and Morais was unlucky with his free-kick that beat everyone. Tranmere offered nothing and for the first time in a long time I was never overly concerned at their threat, even when he brought that big turd Showunmi on and let's be honest when has that lard arse Robinson ever done anything against us? Terrible game but i'll take that and the three points, thank you very much. I expect an equally manky game on Tuesday night…

Cisak - One parry at full stretch to keep out Ash Taylor's header, he had plenty of time to see it but it was a very good stop. One reaction stop from a procession of corners that he blocked with his legs. Much more assured than against Walsall.

Lee - Usual shift from Kieran both offensively and defensively

Tarky - Out-muscled once by Reid, but didn't put a foot wrong all afternoon. Up to M'Voto and Diamond to fight it out for a spot alongside him

M'Voto - Simply a big stopper, when teams play to his strengths, no drama.

Mellor - Never really put under any pressure, so didn't notice him too much. That's not a bad thing.

Morais - Best game in a while, tracked back and was a threat going forward. Need more of this from him

Adeyemi - I know many criticise him, and whilst his passing ability is average, he does a very good job at breaking attacks up and carrying the ball. Saw more of that yesterday.

Winchester - Understandably tired late on but tackled well and used the ball intelligently. Give him a run now.

Taylor - It wasn't his most effective game yesterday, but I was impressed by his work ethic and time and again he won us vital free-kicks just as it looked like Tranmere were going to put a move together.

Simpson - Mostly quiet, should have scored but he won the penalty

Kuqi - Only sight of goal he got was the penalty, played very deep yesterday and helped out defensively on several occasions winning vital headers. I'd just like to see him in the box more

Overall, I still think 4 4 1 1 is not working, we again created very little and our forwards were minimal in their threat. PD needs a Plan B, because the run of games coming up are either against the Top 6 or those around us and we simply cannot afford to toss points away to the likes of Scunny and Yeovil. I'd go straight back to 442, with Simpson wider like he was earlier in the season. Kuqi was much more of a threat with a firm partner. I expect Reid to back alongside him sooner rather than later. But a win's a win, and any over those Bin Dipping twats has to be enjoyed…..

Edited by oafcprozac

I quite enjoyed yesterdays game, there were some fantastic bits of football from us in the second half. The only reason I think people think it was a bad game was because Tranmere were so poor. Like Les Parry said, if the Tranny fans got behind there team instead of chanting 'Parry Out' for 40 minutes then the result might have been different. The only player who failed to live up to standard yesterday was Simpson - but we all know he's our best player so there's no worries.

I might be being dramatic but that game may have stopped us of being dragged into a relegation fight. Tranmere are now 4 points behind and we have 3 games in hand on them. To me a lot of the tension was taken off us with that win. Play offs? Probably a bit out of reach but nothing is impossible. We've got to win our games in hand and concentrate on beating the teams around us.

Morais superb yesterday creative, hard working and not afraid to put a foot in (got a sore looking crack on his nose for his efforts)

Taylor works best when he has a solid defensive full back behind him which on the left he rarely has, and on the right only when they stuck with Lee or Eardley. Yesterday he looked like he'd been told to help/protect Mellor and seem to do it well, obviously at the expense of some attacking play.

Tarky, if they're sniffing around Mellor can't believe we haven't had bids for him. Favourite moment was Kuqi almost causing mayhem by taking to many touches in our box. Tarky goes and has a word with him, tells him where he's going wrong, Kuqi listens to the experience of the lad. Next corner Kuqi clears it perfectly. Tarky future Oldham captain! :grin:

Yesterday he looked like he'd been told to help/protect Mellor and seem to do it well, obviously at the expense of some attacking play.

Definatly the case....defensively, that was the best i've sen taylor in a while - going forward, just doesn't have the confidence to consistently beat a man, and quite often carries the ball 2 or 3 yards too far missing out on passing opportunities. I think with a better standard of full back, he does always look a better player

Tarky, if they're sniffing around Mellor can't believe we haven't had bids for him.

Agreed he is startint to look a quality player. I had concerns after his first OAFC appearances that he may be a yard to slow, and looked to have the turning circle of a tanker. He seems to have learnt much better positioning which is helping him massively. I'd go as far as to say he's our number 1 center half at the moment, but obviously as a youngster, you're not guaranteed consistency so we have to be careful and keep an eye on.

Do feel sorry for Mellor, scouted and fancied by some big clubs as a midfielder, i worry that playing full back in both the first team and the ressies could disrupt his progression. If we can get mathematically safe early enough, defiantly worth a midfield run towards the end of the season.

Kuqi - Only sight of goal he got was the penalty, played very deep yesterday and helped out defensively on several occasions winning vital headers. I'd just like to see him in the box more

Overall, I still think 4 4 1 1 is not working, we again created very little and our forwards were minimal in their threat.

You've answered your own point here, I lost count of the number of times I said "What's Kuqi doing there?" He was just in front of Mellor at times, I know the lad needs a bit of cover but I don't want Kuqi to do it!

When Kuqi drops deep we effectively play 4-6-0 and lose our attacking spearhead, when we win the ball back there's no one for the other players to aim for. Having said that, he is massively important to us defensively, especially at corners and as they say, you start defending from the strikers.

You could hear 3000 sphincters clench when we won the penalty and then the penny dropped as to who was gong to take it, I've just watch the highlights and Taylor bounces the ball straight to Kuqi, there was no question that he was going to take it. Fair play to the big man, stuck to his guns and whacked it in.

Simpson had a bad day at the office yesterday, happens to all players, nothing came off for him but he kept going. I'd have taken him off after 60 minutes and given Reid a run out but fair play to Dickov for not doing it, we got all three points which after a 5-0 drubbing is the only thing that matters. At times it was pretty poor entertainment but at 5 o'clock on a Saturday the only important thing is the points in the bag, follow it up with another 3 on Tuesday and worry about performances after that.

Tarky had a good game, cracking shot from him in the first half, Big Jean had a good game too, granted Tranmere were poor but they gave our new central pairing a decent workout, they won't have faced a lump like Showunmi before and they dealt with the other Tranmere forwards just as well.

Mellor did fine at full back, considering he hasn't played for a bit he was lacking a bit of sharpness but games will give him that. Winchester was a bit anonymous for me, as was Tom, our central midfield weren't really in the game but there the only two we've got and will get better with more games together. I'd worry about playing decent sides with those two in the centre but there aren't many options there.

The one thing that struck me as odd yesterday was when Tranmere made thier subs and still kept to 4-5-1 i thoght they might have gone two upfront and that would have caused us problems.

They werent dominating the midfield even with the extra man but i felt they might have just had enough industry to cause us some real problems with 2 stikers.

AS others have said Tarky and Morrais head and shoulders above everyone else. Taylor excellent in defence helping Mellor who was steady but bloody awful going forward.

Midfield still a problem for me we just dont have enuff strength in there really is a shame wes and furman are out cause i could see us reaching 50 points without too much fuss, but hopefully this game time will aid winchesters development he didnt look outt of place

Crap match. 1 win in 19 for us now. You deserved the win because we are awful, but our "manager" seems to think its the fans fault.

It was an important win for us that's for sure, but have to agree it was an utterly dreadful game, boring as hell.

All I saw was Filipe Morais playing with and against 21 zombies ha ha...