Fantastic comeback

I kind of expected a 5 goal game but one more akin to the MK Dons result. Absolutely delighted. Hopefully it might encourage some of the disappointed fans from last Tuesday to come back again.

Incidentally, can anyone who saw the game comment on whether taking Winchester out of the game at half-time made the difference.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Games like that don't come about often. What a feeling when equaliser went in and then the penalty, speechless!

Was nice to see the Blades fans faces, especially when latics fans wouldn't return the ball in the last seconds, angry men!!

Priceless game.

Immense second half performance so proud. Playoffs are still on!!!!!!!!

I'm also the most fickle fan of all time.

I kind of expected a 5 goal game but one more akin to the MK Dons result. Absolutely delighted. Hopefully it might encourage some of the disappointed fans from last Tuesday to come back again.

Incidentally, can anyone who saw the game comment on whether taking Winchester out of the game at half-time made the difference.

[/quote

it made a huge difference. kmb come on and him and lee terrorized the right hand side.

Immense second half performance so proud. Playoffs are still on!!!!!!!!

The problem with this team has been consistency. If we can build on this result, and win the next two, certainly winnable, games, then who knows? We probably won't make the play-offs, but it would at least be good to finish the season on a high.

I was stood in a pub in gloucester watching gss cheering my head off actually was with a wednesday fan and got the funniest looks when showed we won in last min so glad they didnt go there when the pen was taken heart wouldnt been able to cope

Some bloke said to me 'well done what u win' i answered 3 massive points my friend

I also had £15 on hearts to beat rangers at 9/2 as they are in turmoil get the :censored: in great day and arsenal win in last min v scouse bastards, days like this just are meant to happen to us latics fans are they

for christ sake no reason not to have a huge crowd next time at bp now :grin:

Edited by laticdickovarmy

Ok, we all know it isn't really gonna happen, but can anybody honestly say they haven't looked at the league table in the last hour, then looked at our upcoming fixtures and thought, mmm 6th spot in may might be possible. Sort of.

Last half hour I was doing it two weeks ago. I don't think the table can truly portray our situation until we've got no more games in hand. OK so one of our games in hand is against the team currently in seventh away, but prior to today I'd have fancied our chances of getting something at Stevenage more than Bramall lane.

The 40 points from 20 games (for the playoffs) has turned into 30 from 15. The 20 points from 20 to stave off relegation is now 10 points from 15.

It is doable.

Ok, we all know it isn't really gonna happen, but can anybody honestly say they haven't looked at the league table in the last hour, then looked at our upcoming fixtures and thought, mmm 6th spot in may might be possible. Sort of.

Ha ha, I did! And then I immediately bollocked myself and turned the computer off.

I was gutted driving home from the match on Tuesday, having led for so long and conceded so late, although I have to admit I thought Colchester were well worthy of a point for their 2nd half efforts.

It's days like today though that make me love football so much, best sport in the world by a long chalk :grin:

Blimey. One week we're going down. The next we're going up.

Started the game 4-5-1 with Taylor replacing Simpson but playing on the left.

First half I thought we were :censored:e. M'Voto gifted them a goal, Adeyemi had a shot saved when he probably should have scored. They had a lad stretchered off after he appeared to bring down Kuqi (ref gave nothing) and then Tarky made a great interception, over-ran it and they capitalised with a decent finish from Evans. That said, remove the two mistakes and I suppose we didn't offer them too much opportunity.

Latics looked low though. A lone Kuqi isolated more than ever. Players not really looking like they wanted to challenge for 50/50 balls. Taylor waa the only player who looked up for it, especially when he ran straight at their defence.

At half time I looked at the subs warming up on the pitch and said to my mate "there's nothing Dickov can do with this lot to change the game".

While I wouldn't say Winchester had been poorer than anybody else, the 4-5-1 formation wasn't working for us. So bringing on Marsh-Brown and pushing Taylor up top was a positive half time move from the manager.

We got lucky with the first. Looked like an own goal, but Morais had put the corner in to "the zone" so we got a reward. Taylor wanted to run the ball back to the centre circle. Their lad got the it first and wouldn't give it back. I can only assume he said something rude and got booked for it (turns out Taylor, as chief agitator, also got a yellow). A minute or two later their ad goes in very late on Tarky in our box. A potential straight red from my perfect spot 100 yards away! Ref appeared to be doing nothing but then, after wandering towards his lino, produced a yellow card immediately followed by the red and they were down to 10 men.

There's something here that Taylor needs to consider with his wind-up routine. Tarkowski could have been badly injured by that tackle which was almost certainly an outcome from the frustration at conceding and then getting booked in the "skirmish" before restarting.

Equaliser was a great goal. Marsh-Brown scaring them down the right and Lee finding loads of space to curl the ball in to the top corner with his left from a difficult angle. Didn't expect it and within 5 mad minutes the game had been turned completely on its head.

Dickov then made another intelligent substituion. Reid on for Morais and Taylor moved back to the left to protect Mellor. Reid looked really dangerous and may deserve a start on Tuesday.

After that I thought they'd murder us but they didn't. If anything we looked the more likely but they did have one or two chances including a free kick on 90 minutes which was pulled back to an unmarked player who blasted high when he had time and space to do better.

Then the penalty. Reid chased down a lost cause, got behind the defender and looked set to score. Even when he was pulled back he probably should have reached it, but ref gave the pen and, with no other choice, produced another red.

Kuqi grabbed the ball, Reid asked for it but Kuqi kept it. Cool as you like in to the bottom right corner with the keeper going the other way.

More importantly, we got the celebratory Flying Finn Flop!

Even after that Marsh-Brown hit the post and Adeyemi wasted the rebound as they seemed to run out of players at the back!

Great second half after a shocking first half. I understand why Dickov went 4-5-1 but we looked far better at 4-4-2 (or was it 4-4-1-1?) so credit to the manager for changing it and credit for changing it again at 2-2.

Taylor was man of the match for me. Marsh-Brown looked the part and Lee's second half seemed particularly good. I also thought Reuben Reid's late contribution was impressive after a long absence.

A great win. I'll credit the manager with his changes and the players for improving on the attitude that cost us the second half at MK Dons. We really were there for the taking but a brainless red card gave us a chance and we took it.

Edited by opinions4u

what a result! was expecting a thrashing, especially after MK and the last two home performances, coupled with all the injury problems we've had.

great for the fans aswell, it was all set up for a heavy defeat and by the sounds of the first half performance it was going that way, but i can only imagine the atmopshere in the away end in that second half, cant wait to watch the football league show for once!

proud to be a latics fan, even though i didnt go

How did Reece Brown do O4U?

Ok at times.

Not a stunning debut, but he wanted to be involved and certainly didn't hide.

Showed a nice touch on the ball a couple of times, crunching tackles a couple of times, some good passing and some sshocking distribution too.

I think he'll grow in to the team quite nicely over the next couple of games.

Maybe worth dragging some Man Utd fan mates along at 4 games for £15?

I think the final league one table will probably have the top six teams in exactly the same positions they are in today (anyone know if it is it possible to do a bet like this ?).

If we're still in 13th come the end of the season, I'd be happy. I'd love it if we could somehow go on an absolute stormer and sneak into the play-offs, but it ain't going to happen.

Shame we didn't pick up just a couple more wins along the way this season - we'd be on 48 pts today - 4 pts off sixth with games in hand - and crowds and atmosphere and finances would be that bit better.

Edited by Yard Dog

I think the final league one table will probably have the top six teams in exactly the same positions they are in today (anyone know if it is it possible to do a bet like this ?).

If we're still in 13th come the end of the season, I'd be happy. I'd love it if we could somehow go on an absolute stormer and sneak into the play-offs, but it ain't going to happen.

Shame we didn't pick up just a couple more wins along the way this season - we'd be on 48 pts today - 4 pts off sixth with games in hand - and crowds and atmosphere and finances would be that bit better.

Walk into any bookies and they should take you up on that bet!!!!