What are you watching at the moment?

Crusoe

Agree on Gommorah. Brilliant.

And The Bridge, on Netflix if you have it, is a gripping Danish/Swedish murder thriller series. The Scandinavians know how to make programmes.

Yeah, the Bridge is excellent. I never got to watch sternest two as it disappeared of Iplayer rapidly and I've never found a download.

The Brit/French version The Tunnel was probably ace if you'd never seen The Bridge.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone who watched Underbelly I stumbled across a spin off from series one the other week called Fat Tony and Co.

Not as well done but a good enough watch if you're into the story

Underbelly is great. If you've not got Netflix then they often show the first three or four series on one of the CBS channels. I think it's CBS drama (normally in the middle of the night).

The original Bridge and The Killing are both brilliant, grim Scandinavian efforts. Romanzo Criminale was really good as well, that's often repeated on Sky Arts.

We're watching Sons of Anarchy at the moment and after a slow start it's really kicking on. Whoever is in charge of the music on that show has got it spot on.

I'm also watching Boardwalk which will be sorely missed after this Season.

I've just started season 5 of The Sopranos. "Not bad," I thought. "I'll probably be able to finish this in a few weeks before it disappears from Sky on demand."

I've just discovered that the final season is 21 episodes long. :petesake:

I've just started season 5 of The Sopranos. "Not bad," I thought. "I'll probably be able to finish this in a few weeks before it disappears from Sky on demand."

They split it for some reason, it's the same with DVD's. Breaking Bad did the same. Jealous that you haven't finished it yet, I loved The Sopranos.

Another good one is Lillyhammer. It's got Steven Van Zandt (Sil from the Soprano's) in it, playing pretty much the same part.

If it's the subsject matter is what you're after, then I'd recommend Romanzo Criminale and Corleone (both Italian with subtitles).

Reading back, I think I need to get out more!

Corleone is amazingly well done & accurate having been reading every book on the subject since the age of about 15.

Italy seems to have as few actors as ITV though :lol:

That's something I've tried to watch twice each time I get half way through the first season something crops up and I end up not having time to continue it, might put the box set on my Christmas list

The only American drama series I've ever seen in its entirety is The Wire. I think I peaked too soon. That said, The Sopranos is very good; I've been a big fan of the subject matter for some time.

And yet you've still not watched Always Sunny In Philadelphia, easily the funniest show to come out of the US in a decade or more!

The Leftovers looked a right load of :censored:e, exactly the kind of right load of :censored:e my wife likes, so I downloaded it for her.

It's actually quite good.

It's set three years after 2% of the worlds population just instantly disappeared and mainly focuses around a pisshead cop who looks a lot like Coach Taylor from Friday Nights Lights (Peter Berg directs this too) acting just like Coach Taylor would if he was a pisshead cop.

I like it.

Oh, and a weathered yet still amazing Liv Tyler features prominently also

The Walking Dead new season trailer is out on the Sky Atlantic website from Sky.

Looks darker & grittier than the last season, which in itself was the darkest one to date itself.

There's a female cop at the end of the trailer talking to, then hitting a girl who looked a lot like Beth, who's a new character, I guess we'll find out how / why Beth disappeared from the Golf Club then it seems?

Starts in America early October, and was airing in the UK the next day - so it's not too long to wait now....

The Walking Dead new season trailer is out on the Sky Atlantic website from Sky.

Looks darker & grittier than the last season, which in itself was the darkest one to date itself.

There's a female cop at the end of the trailer talking to, then hitting a girl who looked a lot like Beth, who's a new character, I guess we'll find out how / why Beth disappeared from the Golf Club then it seems?

Starts in America early October, and was airing in the UK the next day - so it's not too long to wait now....

Yeah, I'm really getting TWD withdrawal symptoms now. Glad it's back soon. The trailer looked brilliant.

It was Beth in that trailer. She's holed up with a group of strange types in cop uniforms at a hospital complex (I'm a bit sad, follow the forums with folk sending snaps of filming snippets etc.)

They're following a bit closer to the comics now I think, with the Terminus people looking like standing in for The Hunters arc, one of my favourite storylines. I think they've got it pretty much back on track now as I thought the second half of Season 3 was a bit :censored:. They should have killed the Governer off then, rather than string it out for another half a season IMO.

The Walking Dead is a really odd one, it really isn't that good, most of the characters are unlikeable, the plot has massive holes in it, the show doesn't really go anywhere, the zombies are just a minor inconvenience and episode come and go with nothing happening in them but it is really watchable. Occasionally it will have scenes that are really good and take you by surprise that make up for the long meandering other ones.

I think it suffers from being popular, it is AMC's most successful show and as such they are having to pad it out to keep bringing in the money. Breaking Bad and Mad Men were/are far better telly but didn't/don't create the reddies for AMC. If it takes them milking The Walking Dead to enable them to do the other stuff I guess that is a price worth paying.

The Leftovers looked a right load of :censored:e, exactly the kind of right load of :censored:e my wife likes, so I downloaded it for her.

It's actually quite good.

It's set three years after 2% of the worlds population just instantly disappeared and mainly focuses around a pisshead cop who looks a lot like Coach Taylor from Friday Nights Lights (Peter Berg directs this too) acting just like Coach Taylor would if he was a pisshead cop.

I like it.

Oh, and a weathered yet still amazing Liv Tyler features prominently also

k

I finished this last night - forget Liv Tyler, Carrie Coon (yeah, I know) blows her out of the water.

A solid 7.5 out of 10 this.

Second series commissioned

The Walking Dead is a really odd one, it really isn't that good, most of the characters are unlikeable, the plot has massive holes in it, the show doesn't really go anywhere, the zombies are just a minor inconvenience and episode come and go with nothing happening in them but it is really watchable. Occasionally it will have scenes that are really good and take you by surprise that make up for the long meandering other ones.

I think it suffers from being popular, it is AMC's most successful show and as such they are having to pad it out to keep bringing in the money. Breaking Bad and Mad Men were/are far better telly but didn't/don't create the reddies for AMC. If it takes them milking The Walking Dead to enable them to do the other stuff I guess that is a price worth paying.

Yeah, I agree with just about all that. I think it suffers from the turbulent changing of writers. It started with Frank Darabont for only the first season (which was very good). Then he got sacked and. season 2 dragged far longer than it should have. Season 3 the show runner got fired mid-season, which led to a farce of a finale and season 4 was a little disjointed as Scott Gimple took over and had to sort out the mess. I think it's in good hands now, Gimple is a big fan of the comics and tends to do justice to the major scenes whilst still keeping it pretty fresh and remixed.

Archived