What are you watching at the moment?

Crusoe

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm led to believe it gets a bit hackneyed after episode 5. Matt, what say you?

I'm going to watch the last episode tonight, and I can't wait - I'd say it was in danger of becoming "Detective By Numbers" in ep7, but I think it's kept itself fresh and original enough to make me want to watch the last one.

• 5 weeks later...

At the movies..

I have went to see The Raid 2 last night. If you enjoy martial arts movies, or Tarentino style action movies. This really is as good as it gets. I preferred the stipped down simple plot of the first film, but its good that Gareth Evans didn't try to make the same film. It's definately got cult classic written all over it.

At the movies..

I have went to see The Raid 2 last night. If you enjoy martial arts movies, or Tarentino style action movies. This really is as good as it gets. I preferred the stipped down simple plot of the first film, but its good that Gareth Evans didn't try to make the same film. It's definately got cult classic written all over it.

Went to watch this first day it came out at peak time at the cinema and there was 10 people there. Appears a lot of people are going to miss out on a classic.

Apparently the style of martial arts for the second film is slightly different to the first (not a clue myself), but I agree about the simple plot of the first one being better than the second; I liked the way it was all set in one place, almost like a video game - trying to reach the top level to fight the 'boss'.

One strange thing I noticed was the use of the same actor to play different characters. I know it was a tight budget but it was a bit confusing seeing a man stabbed through the neck in the first one come back in the second...

Forgetting that, intense action film, best I've seen of that style, that I'd definitely recommend for an exciting two and half hours.

• 1 month later...

I went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past last night and really enjoyed it. Easily my favourite of the franchise and a nice change of pace from the previous "new kids" one.

I'll not go in to depth for risk of spoilers.

• 1 month later...

Over the last couple of weeks I have seen the films Her, The Sacrement, and Blue Ruin.

I can recommend all of them, the acting is a little shaky in The Sacrament although Gene Jones plays an excellent controlling mad man.

Watched Orange Is The New Black which I very much enjoyed. The Netflix style of dumping the whole series out there in one go is great but does make the wait for the new series seem that much longer.

Also did True Detective finally. Started like a train, set a really high bar for itself then failed to reach it. Probably two episodes too long but the good bits made up for the meandering flabby bits.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been enjoying the first two episodes of Gomorrah on Sky Atlantic. They're a bit gangster cliché ("Love my mother, me") and the translation on the subtitles looks a bit suspect sometimes but it's really good other than that. The score is ace in surround sound (Eurotrash electro and stuff) and it's shot really nice in all night time moody blacks and blues (Think: Drive). Anyone else?

Also did True Detective finally. Started like a train, set a really high bar for itself then failed to reach it. Probably two episodes too long but the good bits made up for the meandering flabby bits.

I thought it just got better and better and reached a brilliant climax. I do agree, there were a fair amount of flabby meandering but I thought it was nowt short of excellent still. Rust is an amazing character though isn't he?

• 4 weeks later...

Gommorah is fantastic - as were the film and the book.

Romanzo Criminale is another good Italian effort too, especially the film.

I've just started Arne Dahl which looks ok so far. Any other Scandinavian stuff anyone can recommend?

Agree on Gommorah. Brilliant.

And The Bridge, on Netflix if you have it, is a gripping Danish/Swedish murder thriller series. The Scandinavians know how to make programmes.

Archived