One positive from yesterday

I'd have to disagree with this, he seems to hoof the ball every time he gets it and it never reaches it's intended target (if there actually was one in the first place).

I'm more of this point of view.

Thought Fil and Diamond were the only ones to come out with any credit.

Morais' set piece delivery was for the most part excellent.

Agreed - I do wonder if his hands-crossed-over-on-chest signal means something more technical than "I'm going to welly it into the mixer", though....

Totally disagree with OP. Mellor was poor yet again.

People on here have gone on & on about how :censored: a player Paul Black is, and how teams look to target him as tge weak link.

Well - have a look at whats happened since Mellor has been playing LB. Time & again he's targeted and he just hasnt had answers.

As i like to do at games; i watched Mellor closely for a 5 min period to watch his movements, positions and distribution. Whilst i was watching him, he let his man run unchallenged into the box whilst he chose to wander into no-man's land, he did lump after aimless lump when simple inside balls were on offer and he let pressure heap on himself by being so slow to get to the ball when clearances were needed.

This spell at left back is killing his development. He hasn't grasped the position and looks like a fish out of water in there. The mire time he spends there; the worse he's actually getting.

He's a midfielder. When ive watched him preciously for the youths & reserves playing in midfield; ive been impressed. Here's a thought - why not play him in his position?

Feck off Reece Brown, feck off Tom Adeyemi and play a CM partnership that have played together before.....Mellor & Winchester. Ryan Burns is ready for a chance according to seasoned watchers also. Send other teams sub-standard loanees back and play our own lads in their actual positions.

Mellor has massively struggled at left back, becuase he clearly isnt one.

EDIT.

Cant edit on the previous post as on phone so:

I'm aware Mellor is playing LB due to Black & Diallo being out.

What i suggest is that Mellor is a real option for a starting spot - but in midfield not LB. By all means dip into the loan market.........but do it for an area we are really struggling in; not one where we already have optipns. Loanee left back required PD, and ASAP.

This spell at left back is killing his development

That's my fear.

I certainly wouldn't go down the Kieran Lee to left back route. That just unbalances us further.

When we have a fully fit first 11 it's clear Paul Black is our soft underbelly.

I've been watching Latics regularly since the end of 2006. I don't think we've had a decent left back in the side in that time. Maybe Bertrand?

Jacobsen spent most of his time at Boundary Park on the treatment table. Perhaps he's the nearest and should have been kept? But tainted by Penney.

Its been a problem position for years.

Alan Sheenan should have been kept on loan for the whole season & then signed; big mistake there.

Matty Robson is out of contract at the end of the season; i like him to be signed.

But, Dave Mellor will not have a long-term future in the game as a left back. In midfield; yes - IMO he does; but he is not a left back at present nor will he make one in future years

Its been a problem position for years.

Alan Sheenan should have been kept on loan for the whole season & then signed; big mistake there.

Matty Robson is out of contract at the end of the season; i like him to be signed.

But, Dave Mellor will not have a long-term future in the game as a left back. In midfield; yes - IMO he does; but he is not a left back at present nor will he make one in future years

Agree 100% about Sheehan. The only decent LB we've had in recent years apart from him was Simon Charlton. I can't base Mellor's performances on anything much more than 20 minutes at Leyton Orient and 90 minutes yesterday. Defensively, he poor. very poor. When he gets forward, he looks a threat which underlines his ability as midfielder. He chipped a couple of delightful balls from the half way line and beyond, but had little idea when in a defensive position so resorted to aimless long balls.

I thought Diallo was beginning to look as though our LB problems had been solved, so we'll have to wait until when, or if, he is fit again and whether or not he's staying.

Forgot about Sheehan.

Though he was excellent.

Seems to be a key player at Notts County too.

You must have seen Simon Charlton in your first season? Agree about Sheehan, monumental dropped bollock not getting him signed up, gave us so much offensively too...

You must have seen Simon Charlton in your first season? Agree about Sheehan, monumental dropped bollock not getting him signed up, gave us so much offensively too...

Started with the cheap games (kinda guy I am) and you're right - Charlton was left back.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10337~33396,00.html

mellor looks like he's been told to stop going forward like he did at the beginning of the season, which is fair enough to concentrate on defence and not get caught out...

...but, because he cant take everyone on, he resorts to hoofing it. cant be good for him can it?

mellor looks like he's been told to stop going forward like he did at the beginning of the season, which is fair enough to concentrate on defence and not get caught out...

...but, because he cant take everyone on, he resorts to hoofing it. cant be good for him can it?

But if he's the potential higher-level midfielder he's touted as being, he shouldn't have to, should he?

To be fair to Mellor he is a midfielder not a left back!!!

Totally disagree with the OP, I thought he was absoultely :censored:e first half!!!!

Second half he did a little better but not as good as Black is at left back!

Only players to get anything out of yesterday were Morais, Diamond, Lee and Reid...... everyone else underperformed!

A couple of people have mentioned diamond as one to come out of the game with credit, but as somebody else touched on ( O4U i think ) i thought he could have been stronger in the build up to both their goals.

I'm not saying he was solely to blame as they seemed a collective cock up, but i think his goal has masked an ordinary performance imo.

A couple of people have mentioned diamond as one to come out of the game with credit, but as somebody else touched on ( O4U i think ) i thought he could have been stronger in the build up to both their goals.

I'm not saying he was solely to blame as they seemed a collective cock up, but i think his goal has masked an ordinary performance imo.

Prbably me in the motm poll thread.

I hold the central four responsible for both goals. Tarky, Diamond, Brown and Adeyemi. Diamond was particularly poor in the tackle for the second.

He was far from the worst player on the pitch, but I don't think he brought more to the back four than M'Voto does. Possible destabilised it further.