I always love these 'he only picks his mates', 'drop (insert name here), and play ......'. Reminds of the time a fan approached Venables or Robson not sure which one and asked why the star player wasn't starting and it was because he was injured. Now I'm not sayin Smith is injured or rubbish in training, but managers see things we fans don't. Kuqi may bring something to we don't realise because we don't know him personally, last night Dickov was questions for not starting Tarky. Clearly it was becasue he needed a rest as it happens he played most of the game anyway, but it is very easy to sit in the stands and moan somebody should be dropped. I do it also every fan does, but to call someone a clown because they rate a player you don't is a joke.

Dickov may not be the man to get this club in the Championship but he has a better chance of doing it than any fan would, so whilst we have opinions and share them with fans please try do it with some respect.

The thing is Andy, Kuqi IS genuinely Dickov's mate. We don't know the ins and outs of Kuqi's deal, perhaps he's on a pittance unless he starts/and or plays a set number of minutes. BUT it has gone beyond loyalty and is exactly the same sort of situation we had with Tounkara last season of going months and months without scoring. Ok you can point to the penalties he has scored recently but he has not scored a goal in the league in open play for nearly four months. 90% of managers would have dropped him.

Of course Dickov and many fans (me included, but I don't share their blind faith) are hoping Kuqi will play himself of the hole he's in and whilst he's missing chances (albeit gilt-edged ones) the hope remains that he will bag sooner or later and then the floodgates will open. BUT bearing in mind we have one away game since September and we only have FIVE home games remaining where we have been patchy at best. Where are the goals going to come from, to enable us to win the 3 games to ensure survival?

Kuqi starts because, as well as offering a threat up front, he helps out our midfield. A midfield missing it's two key central players, and which is very lightweight as a result. Smith and Reid don't do that donkey work, so we'd have even less ball and bite than we do already if he was replaced by that partnership.

That's unfair on the lad, because of Kuqi's failures we are expecting miracles. Let him start a couple of games and see whether he can seize a PROPER chance, not having to feed on scraps from knackered team-mates giving crap service. Let him feed on some of the service Kuqi has been making a balls of in the opening 70 minutes of the last 22 games…..

Hmm.. I think that's equally as unfair on kuqi, alot of Kuqis chances are down to making them himself by hounding defenders or by getting himself into positions he needs to be. Smith does neither, it dusnt matter how knackered players are, they can still ping a ball across or in, if your in the right place. Smith stands central and invites on long punts that he either mis times his header or flicks on in the wrong direction.

I agree with dropping Kuqi but would wait till Simpson comes back. Sadly Smith does not look ready for league one. If we had a fully fit squad i be on the phone to a league 2 club like Accy or Macc sending him on loan to gain a bit of experince. Yes in the air Smith looks good but his touch on the ground looks awful bit like Abbott. Sadly when he his on the pitch we do not play enough balls in the air towards him.

How may headers has he won in the opposition's box over those 22 games? How many efforts has he actually got ON target? Not counting the side netting/woodwork whichis off target anyway. The not getting there was aimed more at Reid but Kuqi spends too much time in his own half nowhere near goal. He doesn't trust his team-mates so goes searching for the ball. How often do we put crosses in and there's no bugger there? Kuqi too often recently is the reason moves break down, last night every time we looked like creating, the move broke down with Kuqi - according to the commentary anyway and that has been the case for weeks. He loses the ball then stays still, even of we win the ball back, the ball comes in and he's still sulking either out wide or not where he should be in the box anticipating the cross.

Kuqi is a better player than Smith, but at the moment Smith has been scoring for the reserves. Kuqi has drawn a 3 month blank in open play, going on for FOUR months in open play in the league It is simply time to give Smith a chance. After-all, Smith will be here next season, according to those in the know Kuqi won't….. and Smith has scored a goal in open play in the league during that time. The only game he has started in, at the expense of Kuqi….

Re: Reid, he's been back 2 games and was our top scorer and one of our best performers before he got injured. He got one half chance last home game and put it just wide having created the room for himself. Do you not think it's more a problem of service into him that is effecting his ability to get into goalscoring oppotunities? I noticed against yeovil that part of the problem is that he is actually involved in the build up play for most of our good chances, which are generally falling to Kuqi, Adayemi or Morais, none of which are converting. When we have an effective midfield he will get chances, I don't think that will be a problem. Right now with only Morais contributing any sort of final ball it's slim pickings all round unless the strikers can create chances for themselves or each other.

A player doesn't need a run in the team to show if he can head the ball in the right direction or run fast. That can be seen in 10/20 mins. Unfortunately Smith hasn't shown the basics when he's been on - maybe another pre-season conditioning and some technical work may see him get better but he hasn't got the tools now.

I remember Latics saying Tom Eaves was no use as a substitute as he needed lots of time to get his big frame in gear, maybe it's the same with Smith.

I agree about his heading ability though, he needs to learn the ball down or across to colleagues, something I have rarely seen him do.

He should watch how to head a ball from this video, look how often the guy uses his neck muscles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMcfu2CezDs

Edited by BP1960

I remember Latics saying Tom Eaves was no use as a substitute as he needed lots of time to get his big frame in gear, maybe it's the same with Smith.

I agree about his heading ability though, he needs to learn the ball down or across to colleagues, something I have rarely seen him do.

He should watch how to head a ball from this video, look how often the guy uses his neck muscles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMcfu2CezDs

Jim Fryatt!

Jim Fryatt!

Yes, hang in the air Jim of the swallow dive, they don't make em like that any more.

Perhaps Smith will learn how to head a ball at Macclesfield.

BTW do you remember Leo Skeete of Mossley in the 1980s, a great header of the ball and a far better footballer than many in the football league at the time.

Edited by BP1960

Yes, hang in the air Jim of the swallow dive, they don't make em like that any more.

Perhaps Smith will learn how to head a ball at Macclesfield.

BTW do you remember Leo Skeete of Mossley in the 1980s, a great header of the ball and a far better footballer than many in the football league at the time.

Yes. Dale let him go I think but he was "a man's centre forward", bustle, arms, elbows, strength!

Kuqi starts because, as well as offering a threat up front, he helps out our midfield. A midfield missing it's two key central players, and which is very lightweight as a result. Smith and Reid don't do that donkey work, so we'd have even less ball and bite than we do already if he was replaced by that partnership.

Kuqi also starts because i think there is probably a clause in his contract that basically gives a guarantee of 1st team selection.

One of the main reasons (if not THE reason) why Kuqi signed for us.

Having said that i don't think Smith is the answer , not good enough yet to lead the line for 90 minutes.

The main problem is Midfield , just not enough support in the opposition box to put pressure on their defence.

Kuqi and Reid are doing most of their work outside the box because the midfielders that should be doing it just aren't there !!!!!!

For :censored: Sake drop the big lump, it's like last season all over again.

I'm rapidly losing patience with a :censored:ing clown that perseveres with strikers that do not score goals. (Tonk 0 in 21 last season)

:censored: budget, club going nowhere we know, but we have other options, thanks for the purple patch Shefki, but time for a rest….

I only clicked on this post as I was curious to know who Paul was. I really must congratulate you Prozac, how do you come up with these hilarious nicknames for our players season after season. Last year we had to read post after post about ''Bubba''

Yes I can see the resemblance but you do realise that you are the only person who ever used that nickname (side splitting as it was ).

Same goes for Paul, the only Paul I can think of is the alien in the movie of the same name. Is that what you're alluding to?

Perhaps you could start a new thread titled ''Prozac's really funny nicknames for latics playersand how they earned them'' for those of us who are too thick to get it?

I only clicked on this post as I was curious to know who Paul was. I really must congratulate you Prozac, how do you come up with these hilarious nicknames for our players season after season. Last year we had to read post after post about ''Bubba''

Yes I can see the resemblance but you do realise that you are the only person who ever used that nickname (side splitting as it was ).

Same goes for Paul, the only Paul I can think of is the alien in the movie of the same name. Is that what you're alluding to?

Perhaps you could start a new thread titled ''Prozac's really funny nicknames for latics playersand how they earned them'' for those of us who are too thick to get it?

Epic fail of a post.

:petesake:

:petesake::blink:

Classic!!!

Oh dear apologies are due I think, had a few last night and got completely the wrong end of the stick. Sorry if I upset anyone, boy do I feel a dick.

in my opinion you are not a true OWTB member unless you have spouted a load of pissed up bollocks