New striker on the way for the weekend

Deal not done yet according to Matt Chambers on Twitter, I hope we haven't in typical Latics fashion, off-loaded or only cover only to see our replacement deal fall through? A bit like when we let O'Grady and Davies leave on loan. Hughes received a suspension then we were scrapping around for a loanee for a cup replay v Cheltenham, we lost 1-0. Or the classic case of having no fit strikers for the 4th Round tie v Hudds, lost 1-0 and missed out on a bumper payday.

Cynical? Moi? Dead right!

Having said that, both the instances above were under Shez's stewardship, I'm sure PD is a little more savvy and is simply dotting the I's and crossing the T's...

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deal not done yet according to Matt Chambers on Twitter, I hope we haven't in typical Latics fashion, off-loaded or only cover only to see our replacement deal fall through? A bit like when we let O'Grady and Davies leave on loan. Hughes received a suspension then we were scrapping around for a loanee for a cup replay v Cheltenham, we lost 1-0. Or the classic case of having no fit strikers for the 4th Round tie v Hudds, lost 1-0 and missed out on a bumper payday.

Cynical? Moi? Dead right!

Having said that, both the instances above were under Shez's stewardship, I'm sure PD is a little more savvy and is simply dotting the I's and crossing the T's...

To be fair Matt Chambers also says that they hope to complete the deal early tomorrow. Spit out the cynic pill!

Gavin Browne ‏ @GavinBrowne77

PD says #oafc WILL have a new striker, if not today, then tomorrow

Matt Chambers ‏ @Matt_chambers

New striker expected to arrive at #oafc before weekend. Likely to be tomorrow. No Furman, Simpson for Saturday.

Veteran campaigner or untried youngster from Premier League club?

My wild punt is Aaron Wilbraham but who knows?

Billy Paynter ?

A very good player to go for would be Dan Gardner from Droylsden, I know Matt Smith hasn't worked out yet but Gardner is on another level, rumours of interest from Leicester and Nottingham Forest. He's a goalscorer and creator of chances he would be perfect for this team, just what is needed.

BP, is that you????? ;-)

I suggested Richards on the 2012-2013 players thread, he's out of contract at the end of the season. But, as i said on that thread, Vale have well documented financial problems so you never know; we might have sorted a deal out there? I'd be chuffed to bits if it was him.

But - cynical Mr Stallone says it'll be an "exciting prospect" from a Prem club, making his 1st league start for us a la Reece Browns deal.

Stallone plucks name out of the air.....Will Keane from Man Utd

BP, is that you????? ;-)

I suggested Richards on the 2012-2013 players thread, he's out of contract at the end of the season. But, as i said on that thread, Vale have well documented financial problems so you never know; we might have sorted a deal out there? I'd be chuffed to bits if it was him.

But - cynical Mr Stallone says it'll be an "exciting prospect" from a Prem club, making his 1st league start for us a la Reece Browns deal.

Stallone plucks name out of the air.....Will Keane from Man Utd

No Sly, New Blue isn't me, don't know who it is.

I wasn't aware of Forest's interest in Gardner, but was of Leicester's, Bolton's, Swansea's and moneybags Fleetwood.

He is an attacking midfielder though and not a striker, having said that I believe he's scored around 15 goals in all competitions so far this season and definitely has an eye for goal, most of those I have seen have been screamers from around 20 yards out.

I hope he does join the Latics as I made them aware of his high quality some time ago.

Will Keane is indeed a very good player.

No Sly, New Blue isn't me, don't know who it is.

I wasn't aware of Forest's interest in Gardner, but was of Leicester's, Bolton's, Swansea's and moneybags Fleetwood.

He is an attacking midfielder though and not a striker, having said that I believe he's scored around 15 goals in all competitions so far this season and definitely has an eye for goal, most of those I have seen have been screamers from around 20 yards out.

I hope he does join the Latics as I made them aware of his high quality some time ago.

Will Keane is indeed a very good player.

I've been watching Droylsden for about 8 years now and he's the best player I've seen there by a long way. He would help solve the centre midfield gap and replace the awful Reece Brown. In fact, he scored a 25 yard screamer on Tuesday night and a penalty aswell, along with numerous other brilliant goals this season and the last. He'd be an excellent aquisition but with bigger clubs apparently vying for his signature it could be a struggle to get him.

Edited by NewBlue

I guessed it wasnt you BP - just yanking your crank a bit....i saw mention of the Bloods and immediately thought it was you (!), so there are 2 closest fans on here then??!!!

Can i ask who at the club you contacted about Gardner? Was it Hardy or Paul Butler (the scout one not fitness one)

If the list of clubs mentioned above are interested, the lets be honest, if we too are interested then we're going to miss out arent we? We im no-way can compete with Leicester, Forest, Swansea, Bolton et all can we? Shame, as we've lacked goals from midfield all season and we are currently just lacking any sort of quality at all in Furman & Wes's absence.....

I guessed it wasnt you BP - just yanking your crank a bit....i saw mention of the Bloods and immediately thought it was you (!), so there are 2 closest fans on here then??!!!

Can i ask who at the club you contacted about Gardner? Was it Hardy or Paul Butler (the scout one not fitness one)

If the list of clubs mentioned above are interested, the lets be honest, if we too are interested then we're going to miss out arent we? We im no-way can compete with Leicester, Forest, Swansea, Bolton et all can we? Shame, as we've lacked goals from midfield all season and we are currently just lacking any sort of quality at all in Furman & Wes's absence.....

It was a simple email Sly to the club, I wouldn't say Latics have no chance as the others may only be watching and not make a move, of those clubs Fleetwood are very ambitious and have big money to spend, while his style of play IMO would be more suited to Swansea's.(to think one of the Swansea stars now is Ashley Williams, who was once on trial at Latics from non league club Hednesford Town).

* Although I have not seen him myself I have been told Kidderminster Harriers young striker Jamille Matt is very good, don't know if he is on the Latics radar though.

http://www.harriers.co.uk/page/FirstTeamProfilesDetail/0,,10438~54268,00.html

Edited by BP1960

A very good player to go for would be Dan Gardner from Droylsden, I know Matt Smith hasn't worked out yet but Gardner is on another level, rumours of interest from Leicester and Nottingham Forest. He's a goalscorer and creator of chances he would be perfect for this team, just what is needed.

Anthony Cross ‏ @AnthonyCross_ Close

Apparently Dan Gardner going to Oldham in the summer sure he will be asset will be missed #OAFC

Anthony Cross ‏ @AnthonyCross_ Close

Apparently Dan Gardner going to Oldham in the summer sure he will be asset will be missed #OAFC

Hope so Harry, I remember watching Dale Stephens when he was at Droylsden, and frankly he wasn't in Gardner's class.

Latics fans will be drooling over his skills (even some in the upper main stand :grin: )

Edited by BP1960