Taylor explains contract

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11730/7652248/Taylor-hopes-for-understanding

Article:

Chris Taylor insists he does not want to sever ties with Oldham Athletic, but feels he might have to in order to test himself at a higher level.

The 25-year-old will see his current contract with the Latics expire in the summer and has knocked back the offer of an extension.

As a home-grown talent who has spent his entire career to date at Boundary Park, he feels the time is right to make a fresh start.

He admits it will be a wrench to leave Oldham, but believes he has little choice.

"The contract they are offering is very good, I have got no qualms about it at all, but I just want to test myself and play as high as I can," Taylor told Sky Sports.

"I have been at Oldham a long time and I think I have shown good loyalty, and the club have been very good to me. It's a shame, but I would like to possibly play at a higher level."

Difficult

Taylor is keen to point out that he does not want to leave Oldham, he just finds himself in an unfortunate situation where he may have to go chasing his dream elsewhere.

"It will be very difficult (to leave)," he added.

"I have been here for 10 years. It's probably harder because everyone knows that I have got so much love for the club. It's difficult. Sometimes I get too attached when we win or lose. I probably get a bit over the top because it's the club I support.

"Some people have talked rubbish, but I could easily have signed a contract and finished my career here, but I just want to progress.

"I think it's hard with the budget Oldham have got, I think it will be hard to."

I dont want him to go but I hope he plays again before the end of the season to get a good send off by hometown fans

and I hope he gets a chance at a higher club

success or failure- should always be welcome back in mt eyes!

He doesn't really owe us an explanation.

He's got to do what he's got to do - all sensible Latics fans will wish him luck and welcome him back if he ever returns.

Been a good servant to the club.

I can. Still think if he loves the club as much as he says then he should ave signed a contract so that the kub coud have got a fee for him. A bit like how Steve McManaman shat on Liverpool all those years ago. Difference is, I can't see Taylor scoring a volley in the champions league final for Real Madrid. Good luck to him? Meh . In my experience you earn respect through your actions. If he'd have signed a contract extension knowing that it would earn a fee for the club he would have gone down as a Latics legend. But he didn't. Splitter

I can. Still think if he loves the club as much as he says then he should ave signed a contract so that the kub coud have got a fee for him. A bit like how Steve McManaman shat on Liverpool all those years ago. Difference is, I can't see Taylor scoring a volley in the champions league final for Real Madrid. Good luck to him? Meh . In my experience you earn respect through your actions. If he'd have signed a contract extension knowing that it would earn a fee for the club he would have gone down as a Latics legend. But he didn't. Splitter

true but he may find it easier to get a club if theres no fee involved these days

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere I think we need to thanks Chris for his previous loyalty and let him try his hand a higher level. If we wanted to leave our jobs for something better or even just something different would you expect this sort of spite from people (see the Muppets on FB). Football is a short career so its now or never. Would you want to live your life thinking what if?

Best of Luck Chris.

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere I think we need to thanks Chris for his previous loyalty and let him try his hand a higher level. If we wanted to leave our jobs for something better or even just something different would you expect this sort of spite from people (see the Muppets on FB). Football is a short career so its now or never. Would you want to live your life thinking what if?

Best of Luck Chris.

We aren't footballers though are we. Can't compare the two. Nobody is going to pay a transfer fee for me to move to a different fire station. And when I left my old station to go to Oldham I didn't deprive my old station of anything other than my wit and charm.

Can't believe people would begrudge him the opportunity to make a step up. He's turned down such offers in the past, probably hoping he'd make the step up with Latics. He knows that's not likely to happen and is heading into what should be the peak years of his career, not to mention the obvious fact that things have gone a bit stale for him here. He's been a good servant to Latics and, for all his antics and fluctuations in form, cares more than any other player who's been out on that pitch over the past five years.

If the opportunity comes his way, I wish him well.

Any bets as to where he's off to? I know Peterborough have been mentioned but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Blackpool.

Can't believe people would begrudge him the opportunity to make a step up. He's turned down such offers in the past, probably hoping he'd make the step up with Latics. He knows that's not likely to happen and is heading into what should be the peak years of his career, not to mention the obvious fact that things have gone a bit stale for him here. He's been a good servant to Latics and, for all his antics and fluctuations in form, cares more than any other player who's been out on that pitch over the past five years.

If the opportunity comes his way, I wish him well.

Any bets as to where he's off to? I know Peterborough have been mentioned but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Blackpool.

i have a sneaky feeling we will see him at Barnsley

It's all very well wanting to play higher, but I wonder what would happen if moneybags Fleetwood came in and outbid any interested Championship club wage offer ?

Edited by BP1960

Whilst I wish him well I'm with Jazzer on this one. If he had signed even with a quiet agreement to leave for x thousand even £25,000 if the right opportunity appeared it would have suited both parties giving latics a little back rather than nothing. At the moment I would be thinking should have sold him last year and might lead to Corney doing exactly that in the future just compounding the stay aways belief that we arent going very far. The club made the effort Taylor has chosen to leave... and like other said probably knows where Blackpool my bet. However is this really much better than Porter in cash terms.. (Controversial I accept).

Doubt Chris will benefit in contract terms by the etc few thousand it would have brought latics just saves the signing club the small fee the likes of a Championship club should be paying the smaller clubs to keep it alive. Bosman has a lot to answer for in terms of hopes and dreams of teams making progress. The differentials just too difficult to bridge without massive backing.

The bosman law is here to stay whether we like it or not, its the same for everyone its upto us to make the right decisions and play the system.

Taylor has no obligation to sign a contract and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive. If he signed a contract he would take the decison to play in the championship out of his hands as someone would have to match the clubs fee before he could talk to someone, we will have had numerous opportunities to sell him including last january we didn't take them. He's 25 and about to hit his peak he's at a crossroads he signs a new contract here an potentially resigns himself to being a league 1 player for the rest of his career the time for him to go is now. A new environment might do him a power of good aswell and help him develop as a player.

As much as taylor will be a loss I think it would be selfish for us fans to be negative towards his move. He has been fantastic over his time and I would like to see him do something similar to eardley whereby he signs for a championship team who have an odds on chance for promotion. In the end though, he isnt leaving because he cant stand the club, the fans, dickov or even the money, he is moving on for bigger and better things. He is 25 and and wont get any younger.

I hearby say to chris, take your time in the summer to find the right club and the latics fans will back you. Overall as I doubt he will play again for us due to his injury, I wish him the best of luck and thankyou for his services which I havent been able to say about a player for a while other than Sean Gregan (IMO)

Why would Taylor do things that mean Latics earn a transfer fee when that money could go straight in to his pocket as a signing on fee?

Get to mid-thirties or suffer a bad injury and his earning power could reduce significantly. While I still hop he stays I can't blame him for wanting to play at a higher level or maximise his income before it all comes to an end.

Sorry BlueJazzer and others but thats utter balls.

Taylor has played 285 games for this club and been a very good servant.

Why would he sign another contract here; immediately ruling out a chance of a transfer? He is in the best possible position a footballer can be in really. He's a free signing. It wont cost a fee to buy him. Way more clubs will be interested in him as he's in this position than would be if a fee is involved. Why would or should Taylor :censored: on his own doorstep and ruin his chances of a decent move by signing anithrr deal with us; meaning it'd take a bid to sign him. Who's to say the club would accept bids once he'd re-signed anyway?

Utter cack basically.

Good luck to him I say. I hope he does get a decent move. He deserves it. Typical Taylor bashing in evidence once again.........

Why would he sign another contract here; immediately ruling out a chance of a transfer?

That's about it. Making himself more expensive and more complicated to sign is hardly a likely move if he wants a higher up club to come in for him, not when there will be loads of people making themselves free or available on a free from higher up.

That's about it. Making himself more expensive and more complicated to sign is hardly a likely move if he wants a higher up club to come in for him, not when there will be loads of people making themselves free or available on a free from higher up.

seeing as there will be lots of players jobless at the end of the season will taylor actually find a championship club,would he fit into any of the teams fighting for promotion from league one

Edited by Stevie_J
Fixed quote

Can't blame him at all, he's served well here and proven that he loves the club. He could have left in the past but chose to stay and try to help steer Latics upwards, it isn't going to happen any time soon and he owes it to himself to play as high as he can.