Gerry taggart

Seriously does anyone know its all his fault that we have conceded a few dodgy goals or is it just based on a wild assumption based on the fact that he was once a defender.

Now I'm not saying he is a brilliant coach or that he is clueless the simple fact of the matter is I don't know. Taggarts work will come on the training ground and in the dressing room I don't watch the players train everyday so I don't know what he does how he sets the players up. So do some of the posters on here want him gone actually go and watch us train? the case for sacking him seems to lack evidence.

The only reason to replace him seems to be that Dickov needs an experienced assistant. Its a point I can atleast see but I don't agree with. First of all it should be the managers choice who his assistant is he needs someone who he can trust and someone who is going to back him up in the dressing room if he feels its someone with experience then he should do that. It doesn't mean an assistant should be a yes man but it should be his choice not the chairmans or fans. Secondly the danger is that an experienced assistant could undermine the manager, someone who has been their done it lets say for examples sake Peter Reid is he going to be wanting to take orders from someone like Dickov as Dickov will be his boss effectively, and how would he react if Dickov was doing something which he disagreed with. Has their been any examples of a young manager and an experienced head underneath him working. Joe Royle and Iain Dowie didn't bring in an experienced number 2 Greame Sharpe did in the form of Colin Harvey which clearly didn't work.

Besides if Taggart was doing a bad job I'm sure Mike Newton would have spotted this by now :)

Seriously does anyone know its all his fault that we have conceded a few dodgy goals or is it just based on a wild assumption based on the fact that he was once a defender.

Now I'm not saying he is a brilliant coach or that he is clueless the simple fact of the matter is I don't know. Taggarts work will come on the training ground and in the dressing room I don't watch the players train everyday so I don't know what he does how he sets the players up. So do some of the posters on here want him gone actually go and watch us train? the case for sacking him seems to lack evidence.

The only reason to replace him seems to be that Dickov needs an experienced assistant. Its a point I can atleast see but I don't agree with. First of all it should be the managers choice who his assistant is he needs someone who he can trust and someone who is going to back him up in the dressing room if he feels its someone with experience then he should do that. It doesn't mean an assistant should be a yes man but it should be his choice not the chairmans or fans. Secondly the danger is that an experienced assistant could undermine the manager, someone who has been their done it lets say for examples sake Peter Reid is he going to be wanting to take orders from someone like Dickov as Dickov will be his boss effectively, and how would he react if Dickov was doing something which he disagreed with. Has their been any examples of a young manager and an experienced head underneath him working. Joe Royle and Iain Dowie didn't bring in an experienced number 2 Greame Sharpe did in the form of Colin Harvey which clearly didn't work.

Besides if Taggart was doing a bad job I'm sure Mike Newton would have spotted this by now :)

I was of the same "how the hell do you know what he does or doesn't do?" frame of mind until I found out from a very reliable source that the players consider him a bad assistant manager and neither like nor respect him.

A hinderance rather than a help apparently.

I was of the same "how the hell do you know what he does or doesn't do?" frame of mind until I found out from a very reliable source that the players consider him a bad assistant manager and neither like nor respect him.

I don't like my boss 90% of the time, or his deputies but I get paid to do a job so bloody well get on with it - footballers need to start realising that they are employees and generously paid ones (at any level) at that

I cant go for that!

So one of the players has obviously told your "source" that they dont like or respect Taggart?

This is how chinese whispers start.............. 1 or 2 players could have said they dont like or respect him and everyone else might think he is the dogs bollocks!

For example, one of my ex managers at work was a complete knob who didn't have a clue.......... however many others liked her...... it doesn't make me or them right does it?

Obviously a personality clash!

Taggart was a blood and guts defender who gave 100% throughout his career, perhaps that pisses some of the players off and they dont want it as much? I can see that actually. Many on here keep blaming Taggart with very little or no evidence! Perhaps the players just dont want it enough sometimes......... which we do have evidence of on many occasions!

Anyway, its a waste of time people coming up with Gregan, Earl Barrett or Jobson to assist the manager. Just the same as its a waste of time coming up with an experienced old head to assist Dickov because it wont happen! The choice of who assists Dickov is down to ........... Dickov!

Which is a good thing because even the greatest players very often dont make the greatest managers / assistants!

Edited by lancy lad

I love nothing more than a post which includes the words "very reliable source"! Opening post is bang on the money.

Speculation/personal opinion is "bang on the money" but fact is something to be sneered at?

Just passing on what I know to people I assumed would be interested.

I love nothing more than a post which includes the words "very reliable source"!

It usually precedes nonsense.

but fact is something to be sneered at?

He's not sneering at the fact, although the only fact here is that you're quoting verbatim from somebody else's hearsay. So perhaps he is sneering at fact. Apart from that maybe we can take it that Taggart is giving the players a hard time for being sloppy? And the player(s) have sulked a little? I dunno, sounds like sulky players to me.

Less said about quotes about what's going on behind-the-scenes from "reliable sources" the better.

As I said before, Taggart was Nigel Pearson's assistant at Leicester when they walked this League, their expensive squad must have been full of egos, yet they knuckled down and took on board Taggart's methods. This lot are a bunch of prima donnas, with little to back it up that should be much higher in the League - instead they prefer to state on Twitter every couple of days 'how they;re gonna make up for that weekends latest debacle', then they put in exactly the same toothless display. I still think Dickov would benefit from an experienced 'advisor', but I don't think Taggart is the problem, more the precious modern day journeyman thinking they are better than they are.

As a side note with three games to play, two weeks after the Chairman's rant we've still got players on social networking sites 'needing a holiday', do you son? Then :censored: off now, and let someone play who wants to finish the season on a high before worrying about a holiday…..

As I said before, Taggart was Nigel Pearson's assistant at Leicester when they walked this League, their expensive squad must have been full of egos, yet they knuckled down and took on board Taggart's methods. This lot are a bunch of prima donnas, with little to back it up that should be much higher in the League - instead they prefer to state on Twitter every couple of days 'how they;re gonna make up for that weekends latest debacle', then they put in exactly the same toothless display. I still think Dickov would benefit from an experienced 'advisor', but I don't think Taggart is the problem, more the precious modern day journeyman thinking they are better than they are.

As a side note with three games to play, two weeks after the Chairman's rant we've still got players on social networking sites 'needing a holiday', do you son? Then :censored: off now, and let someone play who wants to finish the season on a high before worrying about a holiday…..

That's interesting, I didnt realise that, from reading this message board I thought this was Taggart's first role as he always gets slated for being inexperienced and not knowing what he is doing.

Well they've been working for about nine months now without a holiday. Things are going :censored: at work. Would you not feel you need a holiday?

This reminds me of a few years ago when someone commented on here that they had seen Penney walking around Oldham and he was smiling. Smiling, when we were in a relegation battle! The bastard.

Seems there always needs to be a target. At various points this season its been, what 6 or 7 different people, from Taylor to Taggart, Diallo to Diamond...........

Taggart seems to be the latest, and it's gathering speed.

IMO, social media & the internet has a lot to answer for in this. Before its advent; it was terrace rumours that would, because of the nature of how they were spread, take a good while to roll out.

Now - with sites like this one; and with facebook & twitter - rumours spread like wildfire; and beofre too long; a rumour is taken as gospel as so many people have access to it.

Just where did this Taggart is a crap assistant manager come from in the first place?

One person's opinion & speculation has just gathered pace and now it's almost taken as gospel that he is :censored:e, and Dickov needs an experienced appointment to replace GT.

Now, he does appear to be less vocal on matchdays than he was last season; I'll agree with that - but what he does say is spot on. I sit close enough to hear him, and Taggart is no mug. What he does say to the players on matchdays is bob-on. The work he's done with M'Voto is clear to see for those that actually want to see it. He's Dickov's choice, and PD is our manager. Any switch around, involving moving Taggart on and bringing a new appointment in would, IMO, see PD moving on too. He's his choice, they are friends as well as collegues and for as long as PD sees Gerry as the right man, then he will remain in that role.

But - the latest witch-hunt seems to be gathering pace................

Seems there always needs to be a target. At various points this season its been, what 6 or 7 different people, from Taylor to Taggart, Diallo to Diamond...........

Taggart seems to be the latest, and it's gathering speed.

IMO, social media & the internet has a lot to answer for in this. Before its advent; it was terrace rumours that would, because of the nature of how they were spread, take a good while to roll out.

Now - with sites like this one; and with facebook & twitter - rumours spread like wildfire; and beofre too long; a rumour is taken as gospel as so many people have access to it.

Just where did this Taggart is a crap assistant manager come from in the first place?

One person's opinion & speculation has just gathered pace and now it's almost taken as gospel that he is :censored:e, and Dickov needs an experienced appointment to replace GT.

Now, he does appear to be less vocal on matchdays than he was last season; I'll agree with that - but what he does say is spot on. I sit close enough to hear him, and Taggart is no mug. What he does say to the players on matchdays is bob-on. The work he's done with M'Voto is clear to see for those that actually want to see it. He's Dickov's choice, and PD is our manager. Any switch around, involving moving Taggart on and bringing a new appointment in would, IMO, see PD moving on too. He's his choice, they are friends as well as collegues and for as long as PD sees Gerry as the right man, then he will remain in that role.

But - the latest witch-hunt seems to be gathering pace................

I too thought it was ridiculous when people were slating him based on nothing whatsoever.

Then I heard it from the mouth of a horse so to speak.

And now I'm getting slated for passing it on.

Unbelievable this place.

Well they've been working for about nine months now without a holiday. Things are going :censored: at work. Would you not feel you need a holiday?

This reminds me of a few years ago when someone commented on here that they had seen Penney walking around Oldham and he was smiling. Smiling, when we were in a relegation battle! The bastard.

"Working"?? Really?? Really really??? I don't call doing circuit training a few times a week then being put up in a hotel and playing footy once/twice a week, working.

A job it may be, and a well paid one at that, but "working"? Nah, sorry, not having that............

Just so we're clear, are we saying we'd like it to be club policy that players either book holidays last minute during the close season or, if they insist on planning ahead, don't under any circumstances talk about booking, wanting or going on said holidays on the internet?

"Working"?? Really?? Really really??? I don't call doing circuit training a few times a week then being put up in a hotel and playing footy once/twice a week, working.

A job it may be, and a well paid one at that, but "working"? Nah, sorry, not having that............

Is sitting in front of a computer working? Doesn't sound particularly taxing.

Of course they are working. It's a different type of work. Everyone's entitled to a holiday. I've no doubt if I hadn't had one for nine months and I only had three weeks left before I could go then, especially with work going badly, I'd be counting down the days.

Is sitting in front of a computer working? Doesn't sound particularly taxing.

Of course they are working. It's a different type of work. Everyone's entitled to a holiday. I've no doubt if I hadn't had one for nine months and I only had three weeks left before I could go then, especially with work going badly, I'd be counting down the days.

I would need a holiday after 9 months without one however I'm probably doing 3 X the hours they are doing probably more as i'm juggling a normal job and doing a qualification at evenings and weekends, I'm using a fair chunk of my holiday time to do said qualification. Being a footballer gives you alot more downtime than the average Job and thats for those that are playing what about those who are catching the bench. Lets not feel too much sympathy for them its an easier life than it is for most of us.

I would need a holiday after 9 months without one however I'm probably doing 3 X the hours they are doing probably more as i'm juggling a normal job and doing a qualification at evenings and weekends, I'm using a fair chunk of my holiday time to do said qualification. Being a footballer gives you alot more downtime than the average Job and thats for those that are playing what about those who are catching the bench. Lets not feel too much sympathy for them its an easier life than it is for most of us.

I hardly think it's too much sympathy to say they're entitled to a holiday but we'll agree to disagree.