Latics style of play and formation next season ?

Not a poll as there are too many options, but what are your thoughts on next seasons Latics style of play and formation for next season ?

SC want's 'entertainment' but how's that best achieved in your opinion.

We should play to the strengths of the players we have. No point considering styles or formations that we don't have the players for. Without knowing who those players are, it's hard to say yet.

I don't get nostalgic for the idea of 4-4-2 and tricky wingers, but equally trying fancier 4-2-3-1 or similar formations may be beyond our capabilities. I'd like us to play a nice high tempo short passing game, but then every fan says something like that and the fact that most teams don't manage it suggests it's not that simple.

Its less about the formation and the tactics or the style its about the strength of the players you can play what system you like if the players aren't good enough your stuffed to start with. I don't have any problem with us playing the way we do Dickovs overall football philosophy is fine, the problem is the strength of the squad. I don't think that changing our style to become more long ball (which is what some seem to think on here) is suddenly going to make everything better like as if its somekind of gurantee of success. Whether you have a short passing game or something more direct its no use if the players playing it a crap.

4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 are perhaps the best formations at this level, while 4-2-3-1 is the formation I use on Football Manager which works very well by the way. In League 1 many teams use wingers and if the full back joins them you need a wingers to track back, a 4-2-3-1 may be slightly too attacking. This could useful at home, though, a passing style like Swansea's would be very entertaining.

Although we have in the past passed it around similar and you can hear the boos after three or four from side to side, basically I'd like to see us attack with fludity and teamwork. Key thing is for the players to ignore the noises from the fans.

I'd go along with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

This seasons as an example (fit and in form)

Cisak

Lee

M'voto

Diamond

Black

M'changama

Wes

Morais

Furman

Taylor / simpson

Kuqi

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

A flexible, organised, disciplined 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 that makes optimum use of our strengths.

Goalkeeper - Cisak. They look to give the ball to the fullbacks who in turn work with CMs to move the ball into the opposition half.

Flat back four, full-backs more defensively minded then they have been this season.

Two CMs are flat and deep, they play a simple, on the ground passing game only and aim to get the ball to other, more creative players - I don't believe we have the chance creation in the middle in itself. They come deep to get the ball from the centre backs and work with the fullbacks to get the ball into the opposition half feeding Simpson & two advanced wingers, playing as a deep striker. Must be disciplined, intelligent and cover should the fullbacks go forward. Wes and Furman are ideal for this.

Two advanced wingers - their job is to get on the ball, get to the byline and cross for Striker, Simpson and opposite winger coming in to the penalty area and/or late arriving midfield player with one of the full-backs positioned to cover any potential break away through the gap in midfield. When the ball goes through the middle to Simpson (or Morais if Simpson leaves), the two wingers (who I trust will develop an understanding, playing in their natural position) will essentially form a front 3, with Simpson deeper making the play.

A poacher of sorts up front (Kuqi in his first 15 games). Can feed off Simpson, get on the end of crosses and be an outlet if we're under the cosh. Ideally though, this will be somebody quick. This year we have struggled when well pressed, this would give us the option of the ball in behind the defense. I would like to see Kuqi's wages and everything we can muster together being spent on this player.

It's a flexible system, the players must work extremely hard for one another, move the ball around quickly (especially on the break) and be willing to think about their game and drop deep to cover if needs be. Organisation and discipline in the back four and CMs allows the front four players the freedom to make space, with selective support from the midfield, not leaving us exposed as we to have seen this year. Add to this well rehearsed, organised set-pieces then I believe it can be a very solid system. It will require the wingers to add goals to their game, we know Morais and (if he stays) Taylor are capable of this, not sure about KMB just yet - though I feel we may need to invest in this area too.

Here is what my line-up would look like, though I suspect the personnel may be different:-

Attacking:

--------------- Cisak---------------

Lee----- C/B------ M'Voto-----LB

-------Furman--- Wesolowski---

Taylor-----Simpson----- Morais

-------------- Kuqi -----------------

Defensive:

-------------------Cisak-------------------

Lee----- C/B------ M'Voto-----LB

Taylor---Furman--- Wesolowski---Morais

---------- Kuqi -------Simpson----------

Not likely to have Taylor or Simpson, and I don't think Kuqi will return to performance previous levels, though perhaps a solid midfield and supply of goalscoring opportunities could change that. I think Diamond will leave, and Tarky isn't ready yet. We should seek a CB who is solid, and can pass a ball 5 yards - I think that's a reasonable criteria.

If Kuqi (or ideally, a new striker) manages 15-20, and 25 between the wingers and other striker combined with set piece goals and Furman & Wes chipping in - you're away. The real key as I have mentioned though is intelligence and balance, full-backs & midfielders knowing when to go forward. Wingers knowing when to get into the box and when to hug the line etc. We already have the spine of a squad that could do this.

4-1-2-3

Cisak

Lee Brown M'voto New LB/Black

Wes

Furman M'Changama/New signing

Morais Bunn/New signing KMB

Wes sits deep to cover the back four, when attacking sits deep to cover any potential counter as the full-backs licensed to get forward and support the wide players.

Furman and whoever else next to him being the engine of the midfield, constantly moving into space in midfield always looking to recieve the ball, one looks to hover around edge of the box and one bursts into area when attacking a cross.

Morais and KMB to stick out wide, in attacking positions with not to much defensive responsiblity, can alternate between wings so full-backs not sure who's marking. Whoever is playing the striker in middle, sticks on the halfway line, on the kick off point whenever we're defending. When attacking goes into the box, looks to run behind defenders. Has no defensive responsibilitys apart from chasing down the oppo's cb's when they have the ball.

Play a simple passing game, not much hoof ball, on the floor with midfielders rarely looking to take more than 3 touches at most which keeps the ball moving around the midfield. Lose the ball, press quickly to regain possession and look to get it out onto the wings quickly to launch quick counters when regain possession.

Squad based on Lee staying, Taylor and Simmo leaving, and obviously getting Brown in again and Bunn unless we get someone else in.

Keep it simple.

Keeper who doesn't make millions of mistakes (i.e more Cisak than Brill)

Defenders who, when under pressure put it in row Z, when have time, give it to the midfield. They don't go to sleep every now and again, and they don't get bullied.

Full backs who understand when to defend and when to attack. They too don't get bullied.

Midfielders who look to take control of the midfield and dictate the tempo of the match. They get stuck in and win the ball. They can create chances too. Maybe even score a couple on a good day.

Wingers who know how to play on the wing, know how to cross a ball. They're also capable of doing the odd bit of defending when needed.

Strikers who can be a presence and let the opposing defenders know they've been in a game. They score every now and again too.

Its less about the formation and the tactics or the style its about the strength of the players you can play what system you like if the players aren't good enough your stuffed to start with. I don't have any problem with us playing the way we do Dickovs overall football philosophy is fine, the problem is the strength of the squad. I don't think that changing our style to become more long ball (which is what some seem to think on here) is suddenly going to make everything better like as if its somekind of gurantee of success. Whether you have a short passing game or something more direct its no use if the players playing it a crap.

I'm on here pretty much every day, and I haven't seen one post from a poster asking us to become a long ball side? Where has that come from??

Strength in depth in the centre of the park and we will do much better imo playing the way we do now. With Wes and Furman we could get control of matches, without we just cant. I also think we need someone else up top who can put the ball in the net. One reason Kuqi is getting loads of :censored: is because he has been the ONLY person to do this so now his goals have dried up people are getting on at him. If there was someone else who could chip in with 10 - 15 too then we would be in a much better position.

Dont get me wrong, we have served up some crap, but I have also seen us play well, passing it around, creating chances and just not putting the ball away. I think we are not far off from being a good team - Dickov has got :censored: players to knock it about, we just need that little bit extra - sadly I think we cant afford :(

I'm on here pretty much every day, and I haven't seen one post from a poster asking us to become a long ball side? Where has that come from??

Perhaps that was the wrong phrase to use but I think some may feel that we need to substitute some style for some substance and maybe take what is in theory a more pragmatic approach to winning, the result is obviously the most important thing obviously and sometimes you have to take a more pragmatic approach to winning but I think that should be plan B rather than plan A. The point I'm really making is that I don't think Dickov should change his overall philosophy. While playing a 4-4-2 is fine and I have no problems with it but I think their needs to be fluidity between Defence, Midfield, and Attack and some interchanging of positions, which includes full backs pushing on wingers who can both come inside and get to the byline. a defensive midfielder who sits and covers the on rushing full backs. A stiker who roams and gets in the gaps between midfield and attack because he will be hard to pick up, and one who stays in the centre. If we keep Kuqi not only should we use him more sparingly but also if he plays at the head of a 4-4-1-1 he stays central and occupies the 2 centre backs. When we don't have the ball he doesn't need to chase back into midfield we have 5 in their whos's job it is to do that.

It doesn't need a massive overall in philosophy a healthly overall in players yes and thats where Dickov needs to make the changes. He needs to look around the dressing room and see who is just happy to accept mediocrity, and who has been going through the motions this last 3 months and those who want to kick on and go to the next level.