England Manager  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Think Roy Hogdson is the right choice?

I was firmly in the Redknapp camp until Roy was mentioned and I started reading up on CV.

Ignore the Liverpool job because he was on a hiding to nothing reminiscent to Man Utd post Busby. Dalglish ruined whatever chance he had and Roy was stuck with players tainted with Liverpool history.

With England Roy can choose his own players who support his approach and I'm confident he won't be afraid to drop names if they don't conform. His thorough with his planning, not afraid to adopt effective tactics over flair at times and has a proven record at international level.

With Harry we would have had a media darling, which sucked me in I must confess. Success only through wheeling and dealing irrespective of nationality and prospered through a decent scouting network in Africa.

Completely changed my stance and firmly support Roy and looking forward to the Euros now

I think that whilst Hodgson was a shoe in, he faces an impossible task.

No idea why the FA did not even interview Redknapp, even if he was never going to get it.

I am most defaintely not anti Hodgson, I hope he proves everyone wrong.

I am left with the inescapble feeling though, he is a Poor Man's Dave Penney!

Brave choice by the FA.. Nothing to lose appointing Redknapp as being the people's favourite, any underwhelming performances would've been the choice of the masses anyway. Good luck, only a few weeks till the Euros anyway so that's not enough, can't be judged on that alone.

I wanted Hodgson to replace Eriksson and if i'm honest. If given time to build he will do a good job, sadly the tabloids and SSN won't give him any time and he'll be already under incredible pressure by the autumn as that's just how we roll in this country. I do think the appointment of Hodgson is possibly 10-15 years too late. I would like to see him groom a younger coach to succeed him perhaps after Brazil and then take the reigns as Technical Director.

As for Liverpool, he was Hicks and Gillette's choice and was always on a hiding to nothing. Although cups apart Dalglish has not fared much better….

Redknapp would have been another Venables, a man who oversaw boring, tepid draw after draw in the two years running up to Euro '96, who then failed to win an average tournament at home yet people still spank their planks over him.

I'll concede the Holland win was fantastic but even that was over a team who were infighting and didn't want to play for each other.

Hodgson's coaching CV is as good as it gets really...

Not the most exciting appointment maybe but I don't think there was an exciting English option. Hodgson has to be the best man for the job. Good track record everywhere he's been bar Liverpool where he wasn't given any time.

Harry would have been a disaster. We'd have woken up to a new scandal every Sunday morning and he'd have soon been shipped out when the FA had been embarrassed enough.

Good luck Roy. I think you are going to need it but I also think that if given time it'll turn out to be the right appointment.

Not convinced about Redknapp's achievements.

One Division One win.

One Division Three win.

One Football League Trophy.

One Intertoto Cup win.

One FA Cup win.

One League Cup runners-up place.

Versus Hodgson's:

Seven Swedish league championships.

One Danish league championship.

Two Swedish cup wins.

One Danish cup win.

Two UEFA Cup runners-up places.

One UEFA Cup.

And a lot more coaching experience in various countries.

I also think Redknapp's a dodgy wideboy and his record at Spurs isn't brilliant. That said, I think Hodgson isn't a world beater and the writing's already on the wall - anything less than a major success this summer and he'll be written off.

A very current-FA appointment. Like Capello, Hodgson's a bit hard to read - never seen him crack a smile.

Be interesting to see how he handles the pressure, particularly from the media - that video clip of him whacking his own head against the advertising hoardings in frustration earlier this season was a bit odd.

Could have been worse appointments, though.

A very current-FA appointment. Like Capello, Hodgson's a bit hard to read - never seen him crack a smile.

Be interesting to see how he handles the pressure, particularly from the media - that video clip of him whacking his own head against the advertising hoardings in frustration earlier this season was a bit odd.

Could have been worse appointments, though.

Taylor the Turnip used to have a joke and the press hung him out to dry because of it.............. that and the fact he was :censored:e!

As much as England is rubbish, I think it was a decent choice. We shouldn't expect a top class manager necessarily and considering the small pickings of the English blokes that are available, its good.

I just hope the media try and support the team as an underdog rather than building it up for a fall as per normal.

Redknapp has got about as much tactical nous as a rich tea biscuit. He'd be completely out of his depth at international level. Hodgson has got previous international experience too (got Switzerland to the '94 world cup iirc), so he was the best option. I'm just glad it wasn't Pearce, good god that would've been awful.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Would have preferred Pep myself.

I don't agree with this Englishman only approach (although I understand why they've taken it). Yes, the last 2 managers under-achieved but they under-achieved because they weren't right for the job, not because they weren't English. Venables, Hoddle, Keegan and McLaren were all as bad if not worse.

yep, good appointment, Harry would have been a bit like Keegan, very popular, good motivator but possibly not tactically strong enough. Don't think we can suggest that Hodgson lacks anything tactically, wins hands down at "show us your medals".