Not forgetting if true, that this time he will have a full pre season behind him.

Very solid signing if true.

When it ultimately boils down to it though, Oldham can't afford to bring in a proven striker in his prime, and a proven striker in his prime won't want to come to Oldham and play for magic beans, so your left with two options.

One is to bring in a good striker who is somewhat past his best but still capable of scoring a few ala Kuqi. The other is to take a chance on an umproven player who has a bit of raw talent and something to work with, ala Tounkara.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, I know I will be in the minority but I agree with Philliggi and Macca on this one!

While I agree that this kid will run through walls, he has the touch of a rapist and can not finish for toffee!

Put him up front with a potentially over worked Kuqi next season and they will struggle for 15-20 between them!

If we sign him, we need to get rid of Kuqi......... too similar!

I am sorry, I know I will be in the minority but I agree with Philliggi and Macca on this one!

While I agree that this kid will run through walls, he has the touch of a rapist and can not finish for toffee!

Put him up front with a potentially over worked Kuqi next season and they will struggle for 15-20 between them!

If we sign him, we need to get rid of Kuqi......... too similar!

very much in the Tonk-in camp but i do agree that kuqi and tonk are too similar, as is smith.

Kuqi on the bench, tonk and simpson or another as the 2 with smith as reserve (assuming 442)

as for the touch of a rapist comment, you obviosuly didn't see him vs Carlisle where his close control and flicks were excellent.

Burnt out after Jan in his first season and no wonder given his all action style, admitted as much by PD

A full pre season and THE RIGHT TEAM around him and he will help the team and bag 10-15

If He does come, and does have a season worth remembering ill be the first to admit i was wrong, but i just dont see it happening. If we do sign Tonkara I very much doubt we will be seeing kuqi again.

on another note, anyone fancy Smith to have a second season like Porter had? Porter was shocking in his first season.

If He does come, and does have a season worth remembering ill be the first to admit i was wrong, but i just dont see it happening. If we do sign Tonkara I very much doubt we will be seeing kuqi again.

on another note, anyone fancy Smith to have a second season like Porter had? Porter was shocking in his first season.

Phil I think you are a hard man to please! ;)

Porter wasn't shocking in his first season, yes he didnt set the world on fire but he showed glimpses of what he could do (pretty sure he got himself a hattrick too), pretty similar to Tonks IMO.

I know it is all about opinions but for me Tonks has shown a hell of a lot more than Smith has done while playing for us, can't see why you would write him off and not Smith?

Personally I think Smith is :censored:e, but lets hope we are both wrong!

Phil I think you are a hard man to please! ;)

Porter wasn't shocking in his first season, yes he didnt set the world on fire but he showed glimpses of what he could do (pretty sure he got himself a hattrick too), pretty similar to Tonks IMO.

I know it is all about opinions but for me Tonks has shown a hell of a lot more than Smith has done while playing for us, can't see why you would write him off and not Smith?

Personally I think Smith is :censored:e, but lets hope we are both wrong!

im not saying smith will make it, i was just asking if anyone thinks he will actually prove his worth after a disappointing first season.

Im not a hard man to please, i just hate seeing :censored:e players.

Lot of wishful thinking on this thread - which is better to read than the negative stuff.

But on this matter I am firmly in the negative camp.

Not sure what some people have seen in the lad. Clearly he's big and strong. But clearly he can't hit a barn door.

In the ideal world we could take him on and give him (another) chance, perhaps let him loose in the reserves for a bit to see if he can find his scoring boots, but he will want first team, and we haven't got money to spare.

I’m in the Trappattoni and Hodgson camp in that our first priority is to make ourselves hard to beat. Spend any money we have on the defence. Kuqi had a cracking season until his service to the team took all the sting out of him. Whoever we have has to play up front and not all over the field. Tounkara is great entertainment so I would have him and if Kuqi will stay play them both with Smith as sub and to give them a rest. Big is beautiful.

I’m in the Trappattoni and Hodgson camp in that our first priority is to make ourselves hard to beat. Spend any money we have on the defence. Kuqi had a cracking season until his service to the team took all the sting out of him. Whoever we have has to play up front and not all over the field. Tounkara is great entertainment so I would have him and if Kuqi will stay play them both with Smith as sub and to give them a rest. Big is beautiful.

Tounkara? Worth a season I reckon.

Decent read this thread; but IMO it does highlight the somewhat unrealistic expectations of some of our fan base.

For me, young Tonk is a realistic target. He has been with us in 2 spells, and if not for massive burn-out hitting; i think his 1st season with us could be counted as asuccessful. He knows the club, we know him. He is now without a club & without his Premier League youngster wage. I think that we stand a very decent chance of getting him, if we are indeed interested in him. He is a realistic target who would be 1st team were he to sign.

Other than 3 names - Ben Burgess ( who has signed for a club), Lewis Grabban ( who has agreed terms with another club) and a complete non/league gamble in Damien Reeves........nobody is able to turn this debate around and say; 'nah we shouldn't sign Tonks as _________* (insert realistic striker name here) is available and i think he is within our reach'.

I cant see many better bets than bringing back a player like Oumare.

Decent read this thread; but IMO it does highlight the somewhat unrealistic expectations of some of our fan base.

For me, young Tonk is a realistic target. He has been with us in 2 spells, and if not for massive burn-out hitting; i think his 1st season with us could be counted as asuccessful. He knows the club, we know him. He is now without a club & without his Premier League youngster wage. I think that we stand a very decent chance of getting him, if we are indeed interested in him. He is a realistic target who would be 1st team were he to sign.

Other than 3 names - Ben Burgess ( who has signed for a club), Lewis Grabban ( who has agreed terms with another club) and a complete non/league gamble in Damien Reeves........nobody is able to turn this debate around and say; 'nah we shouldn't sign Tonks as _________* (insert realistic striker name here) is available and i think he is within our reach'.

i know other people have said he cant hit a barn door bla de bla, but for me its not the quality of the player thats in question, its the style of player. I must admit I dont actually think he is good enough, but its more a case of why do we need him when kuqi is here? for me we cant have both, and if htounkara comes in kuqi has to go.

we were hard to beat last season though it was supply and goals where we struggled alongside not playing to our strikers strengths

Edited by Haribo_man

I'd pick Tonks ahead of all of these. I'd happily sign Reeves for a season - I think it's better to put effort into a rough diamond, than sign players who have had pretty unspectacular lower-league careers.

Marc Richards is another name we've been linked with - it's funny that Richards, Grabban and Burgess have all played for us in the past. Don't remember any of them being particularly good for us then and the fact that they all are pretty much at the same level quite a few years later, kind of suggests they wouldn't bring much to the party now.

Edited by JoeP

I do think Tonk is a gamble. He was pretty anonymous in his second spell with us and the latter part of his first season made me glad to see the back of him.

But if he can perform the way he did vs Carlisle and during the first half of his first season, we'll have a great player. Can't imagine he'll be on big money and the one year deal makes him a gamble worth taking imo.

Bring on the Wrecking Ball!

When Tonk came here 2 seasons ago he struggled a bit at first, but he hadn't played any league football prior to that. He was good in Oct, Nov, Dec and ran out of steam towards the end of the season.

However, that year we had Feeney, who wasn't very good and not fit, Brooke, ditto, Reid, ditto, Kelly who was not very good and occasionally Phil or Lewis (but he faded and was injured) as support. If used properly and ensuring they don't wear themselves out him, Kuqi, with possibly Simmo as well and Smith I think we might get a few more goals. If we do sign Tonk and retain Kuqi and Simmo, I'd be looking to get Smith a loan spell as he will develop more by playing more than the occasional 10 minutes he would get.

Edited by rudemedic

Bit of side issue to main thread, but still relevant when discussing potential targets.

Why do people insist we are totally skint, and should always be looking at the very bottom (which tonk isn't far off) of the barrell with 'our budget'?

For a club of our size and current fan base we pay way above what 'our budget' suggests we can afford.

last season. Kuqi, mvoto, wes, simpson, diamond,ciask (whom we paid a bit for as well) all on very decent money. Not to mention all the loans.

Corney IMO is a master at making it look like we are one step away from the brink and maintains the illusion that we have got sweet FA

Yet we quietly sign players that if we were really that skint we should have no chance of signing.

Point being i think with a bit of thought we could do financailly better than tonk, and certainly as phil said if kuqi stays.

For a club of our size and current fan base we pay way above what 'our budget' suggests we can afford.

last season. Kuqi, mvoto, wes, simpson, diamond,ciask (whom we paid a bit for as well) all on very decent money. Not to mention all the loans.

Our fan base (and the fact that just over 12 months ago we didn't pay players on time) would suggest that we don't actually have a huge budget to work with. However, unless anyone is actually privy to the details of our current payroll (and that of other clubs) then it seems to be sheer guesswork to say that player A is on a good or bad wage. If I had to say one way or another though, I should think they'll actually be on less that you expect.

I would be very happy with tonks love his attitude and work rate the goals could I belive come, he has the golden word as mentioned potential, I'd want him and kuqi, plus 1 more hopefully that won't be smith

I would build from the back and make us so hard to beat! The type no one wants to turn up to our dump of a ground and hates creating horrible atmosphere as fans make the place a fortress

Bit of side issue to main thread, but still relevant when discussing potential targets.

Why do people insist we are totally skint, and should always be looking at the very bottom (which tonk isn't far off) of the barrell with 'our budget'?

Corney IMO is a master at making it look like we are one step away from the brink and maintains the illusion that we have got sweet FA

Yet we quietly sign players that if we were really that skint we should have no chance of signing.

Point being i think with a bit of thought we could do financailly better than tonk, and certainly as phil said if kuqi stays.

I think you have to look at the strength in depth if you want to get an idea of the size of the budget when Kuqi stopped scoring our options were very limited yet if you look at Sheff wednesday if Gary Medine stopped scoring they had Ryan lowe to come in or Nile Ranger. If you looked at the accounts of the club then they wouldn't be pretty reading either. However Corney did say that we may surprise a few people with the quality of the signings that we may be able to bring in during the summer so lets see what he has up his sleeve.

.......but why should Reeves be signed over Tonk?

I dont get your logic?

Tonk has a full season of league football ubder his belt, with us to boot. And another 6 or so at the end of this season. He's been schooled for 3 years at Sunderland; a Premiership club.

No disrespect to Reeves but who is he when conpaired to Tonk? A ( not so young) lad from non league who has some goals to his name?

Why should he be signed and capaulted to 3rd choice over a player who, IMO, should be 1st choice for us were he to be signed....

I just cant fathom what you're on about with this....?

because reeves can find the net consistently, anyway, couldnt we get them both?