Matt Smith, the man who's been written off...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody calling for Smith to have a run in the team will be the ones calling Dickov when it doesn't work out. It's easy being a football manager when you aren't the one making the tough decisions with your head on the block. Smith does seem to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time but on the ball he is woeful and seems to lack any sort of awareness. Macc fans thought he was rubbish and couldn't see why he'd been brought in, that worried me because I think it's probably fair to assume they are blessed with few strikers who even count as average for League Two. Giving Smith a run in the team is a gamble that could easily see us scratching around the bottom of the table because apart from decent positional sense he is terrible in terms of overall contribution. There is of course the small chance he will find his shooting boots and adapt to the pace of League One football, i'm not particularly optimistic though.

Good job there's aren't videos of all his misses, YouTube would crash under the pressure.

I'm all for giving people a chance but he evidently hasn't done enough to impress PD in training and for each goal above there've been who knows how many misses.

Good job there's aren't videos of all his misses, YouTube would crash under the pressure.

I'm all for giving people a chance but he evidently hasn't done enough to impress PD in training and for each goal above there've been who knows how many misses.

Not necessarily a bad thing to be missing shots in comparison to not having shots.

But people are saying put him in for Slew and I saw Slew have 3 decent efforts on Tuesday and look much more lively and dangerous and much better with the ball at his feet compared to Smith.

Slew got good service against Wednesday and bagged one, didnt see any good service vs Walsall for the entire game. Let's give him a chance.

Why have our fans turned against loan players all of a sudden?

What about Furman Lee ?

Been saying to my mates for a long time (notably ChrisA, Omar Don't Scare and WelshGaz) : I really don't know what he brings to the side. He seldom makes a forward pass and he just seems to be a younger, more energetic version of David Livermore, who we had on loan a few years back. Omar counted how many forward passes he made yesterday, and I think we got to 7!We've had worse players, for sure, but I just don't get the hype with him like others do!That said, the manner he conducts himself off the field and represents the club is an absolute credit to himself and us!

But people are saying put him in for Slew and I saw Slew have 3 decent efforts on Tuesday and look much more lively and dangerous and much better with the ball at his feet compared to Smith.

Slew got good service against Wednesday and bagged one, didnt see any good service vs Walsall for the entire game. Let's give him a chance.

Why have our fans turned against loan players all of a sudden?

Burn them, burn them all - then send them back to their parent clubs.

I know what you're meaning. From the pitch time i've seen from Slew, Dan Taylor & Smith - Slew is in there because he's better than the other 2. It shouldn't matter he's "not one of our own" (hate that by the way) - if he's an improvement on what we've got then he's worth the place.

I've posted on Matt Smith before, so I don't need to go over old ground. Suffice to say, IMO the lad just doesn't have it in him. He's not the answer*

.* well, depends on what the question is like - if it was 'who in the squad can't bend his knees, run fast, punch his size & weight, head a ball properly or hit the back of the net instead of the woodwork' then he would be.

Agreed....

Watch him and him alone...he makes good space for himself, a couple of times today he was in between defenders but we don't have the quality to get the ball in the right places. He did well today, put himself about, won a few headers but the rest of the donkeys couldn't read 'Spot goes to Town' never mind reading where a flick on could go.

In a decent team where he got chances, perhaps he'd take a few rather than snatching at opportunities knowing it may be his only one until the next ten minute run out....time for him to get 5 or 6 starts and prove his worth one way or another...l

You will be burned at the stake for that positivity. Interested to see what others think.

He did show some effort, perhaps Stevenage were a bit ruffled that he wasn't another lightweight they could easily shake off the ball ?

Edited by BP1960

I'm far from his biggest fan but he did alright today. He needs to start acting the prick with defenders. Push them about, let them know you are there. Get some sandpaper on those elbows be a pain to play against. He did knock one about right at the end but he should have done it as soon as he was on.

Needs more aggression in his play. It might not be in his nature to be nasty but he might endear himself to fans if he started becoming a nuisance to the opposition.

Edited by ChrisA

I'm far from his biggest fan but he did alright today. He needs to start acting the prick with defenders. Push them about, let them know you are there. Get some sandpaper on those elbows be a pain to play against. He did knock one about right at the end but he should have done it as soon as he was on.

Needs more aggression in his play. It might not be in his nature to be nasty but he might endear himself to fans if he started becoming a nuisance to the opposition.

He did, first thing he did when he came on was a rough up one of their players at the throw in, more of the same please Matt. He was a good link man when he came on, some good flicks but his strike partner isn't in tune with him yet, hopefully it will come.

When he came on he freshened the whole team up. Gave us another alternative option. He wasn't the perfect target man, lost the ball a few times and headed astray another couple of occasions but he got in the right positions, like usual and caused problems for their defence. Got fouls, made a nuisance of himself and had a powerful attempt go just over the bar. Promising signs and showed a little bit of form, whilst playing with almost no confidence. He has something about him. A knack of being in the correct place at the correct time. Just something that could be brought out with a few consecutive starts. If utilised correctly he could be the talisman that Dickov is trying to make Robbie Simpson into.

Shame he probably won't get the opportunity to prove himself. As the 3 starts in a full season show.

When he came on he freshened the whole team up. Gave us another alternative option. He wasn't the perfect target man, lost the ball a few times and headed astray another couple of occasions but he got in the right positions, like usual and caused problems for their defence. Got fouls, made a nuisance of himself and had a powerful attempt go just over the bar. Promising signs and showed a little bit of form, whilst playing with almost no confidence. He has something about him. A knack of being in the correct place at the correct time. Just something that could be brought out with a few consecutive starts. If utilised correctly he could be the talisman that Dickov is trying to make Robbie Simpson into.

Shame he probably won't get the opportunity to prove himself. As the 3 starts in a full season show.

So you think Slew will be back for Winchester at Pompey with Smith again on the bench ?

So you think Slew will be back for Winchester at Pompey with Smith again on the bench ?

Dickov is so liable to making crazy decisions, todays starting team was a truly awful selection that I wouldn't put it past him to play Slew up front. The ridiculously scarce amount of opportunities Smith has had as a starter suggest that Dickov doesn't trust him to start a match, so with his preferred striker coming back to fitness and availability, yes I see him playing Slew. I'd start Smith v Pompey but whether Dickov does is unpredictable really after recent ludicrous decisions.