Portsmouth Expectations

I'm going to the match on Saturday and like every fan, and player, I want an improved performance after the disasters against Walsall and Stevenage. I have faith in this team. Yes, faith, there has been nothing to give me any evidence so far to back up my assertion that we will break into the top half this season but I still believe that the individual quality of players is good enough. Realistically, I'd be happy with a point at Fratton Park based on the previous 2 home matches that I witnessed but at the start of the season I focussed on this fixture as one that we could take all 3 points from; so it disappoints me that I would be reasonably satisfied with a point.

What are your views on this game. Of course its important but would you be content to get a point?

would take a point minimum, a loss is unacceptable imo. Yes, Pompey have made some decent short term signings (including Izale Mcleod who we were apparently interested in) and have performed decently so far taking a point from Bournemouth and Colchester and losing to Carlisle with ten men, scoring 2 and conceding 2 in injury time, but expectation is that we should win, we have a stronger starting XI than they have and they only sit one place above the relegation zone, they're leaky at the back, obvious from conceding 7 in 3 games and concentration seems to slip late on in the game, they conceded in the 78th v Bournemouth, the 83rd v Colchester and the 92nd & 96th v Carlisle. If we can exploit this then there shouldn't be a problem, if start the way we finished the game against Stevenage, the same line-up and formation that is we have the width at Fratton Park for Hughes, Croft, Grounds and Brown to swing balls in for Smith and Simpson. As far as I'm concerned we should win this game and kickstart our season in the process.

Bare Minimum is to me is the bare minimum I expect from every game.

- Looking a threat going forward and scoring at least a goal which is neither from a set piece or a defensive / goalkeeping cock up.

- Make the opposition work for their goals. If we are beaten by a piece of skill, some great play or a screamer, then fair enough. Being beaten by our own crap marking, defensive lapses, a lack of ciommunication or goalkeeping blunders.

- Staying in the game, not letting heads drop.

- Keep your shape.

If we are outplayed by a better side then I'll accept that, even though they have conned their way to this position. What I wont accept is the basics not being done.

Expectations... more of the same and a 2-0 defeat.

Edited by pukka

I'm starting to change to the opinion that as long as we can see some tactical awareness and improvment shown by Dickov, to bring back to some winnable home games its fine. An attacking loss wouldn't be ideal but it shows that we're going in the correct direction and then we can capatalise against the lesser teams.

If this was the first fixture of the season I would have accepting nothing less than a win but now the enormity of the task for Dickov (a task which is actually against himself) is evident I'd be pleased with a good performance; whether its a win, draw or a narrow defeat where we've given as good as we've got but they had more luck or one piece of brilliance.

I "expect" us to lose

I "hope" we play well

A decent performance is more important than a scrappy win for me.

Decent performances will get us points all season, a scrappy win might only paper over the cracks.

Points wise we're not in trouble yet, performance wise we appear to be

I can't see us beating a team who've got the spirit to score twice in injury time (albeit conceding two in the process). When was the last time we did that - Barnsley at home about seven years ago?

Home win, all over it.

Plymouth is the last one I remember a couple of seasons ago, Big Jean and Dean Kelly the scorers I think. Granted they did have 9 men I think but they did take the lead.

To be honest, I'd be expecting defeat against pretty much anyone at the moment. I assumed when the season started that Dickov was still to bring in a few more players and criticised him for repeating the mistake of not having his squad ready for the start of the season, just like last year - something he specifically stated he wouldn't do at the end of last season. However, there have been a few mentions recently that he has no room to bring anyone in. If that's the case then, for me, he's gone about his signings all wrong an should have spread his budget a little thinner. This team is not good enough and, if we're hit with injuries and suspensions like we were last year, then league two here we come because there's nothing in reserve.

I expect fine, warm weather, a good pre-match get-together including lunch with free drinks (see 'Directions, etc' thread), and a good night out in Portsmouth with an overnight stay. Anything the players, wearing their high-visibilty tangerine shirts, decide to bring to the party will be a welcome bonus.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I'm expecting very little other than to catch up with a few mates, having been naive enough to think it'd be a nailed on win and therefore booked the trip months ago.

If Furman plays a positive, attacking pass, the wingers try to beat their man a couple of times, the full backs attempt to overlap, we appear to have at least one set piece that threatens and the strikers do something, at any point, that the Pompey centre-halves don't see coming a mile off, I'll dance all the way home.

All I want is some attacking ambition. Regardless of the result, have a go, please! Give me one great moment to remember the game for and you've done your job. Don't make me go away saying nothing more than 'they worked hard' - it's the entertainment business after all.

Come on Latics!

I expect to have a clear idea of the direction Dickov proposes to take the side in the future. Any direction other than up will indicate that he won't have much more of a future with us.

I'm looking forward to it personally, players and staff have a lot to prove and I expect them to give it their best shot, whether or not it'll be good enough is unclear.

We need a win from this dickov needs to prove himself.

A win could kick start our season

A draw would leave us in nowhere land

A loss could mean the match against Chesterfield is between two managerless teams if there's no improvement in the performance