Corney: Not fit for purpose

I think after reading what SC has said i would say Paul Butler (who in my eyes is really Dickov's Number 2) is on his last stand at the club, and he is right we dont look fit physically or mentally how many times do we switch immediately after half time, people question just what Dickov says but i think comes down to the players concentration levels which goes hand in hand with fitness levels, oh to have the days of John Harbin as our fitness guru!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we have spent 50k on Montano I wonder how much Charlton were asking for Clarke must of been 100k. It also says that our better players are on good wages and our budget as not been reduced that much so that shoe string budget is an over reaction.

This should have been left behind closed doors and directed at Dickov and the players, not on the pages of the local rag.

I don't see how this rant can possibly help the cause. I can see only one outcome and wouldn't be surprised to see Dickov walk before the weekend!!

Someone said he has stopped short of criticising Dickkov......well, you couldn't blame him any more if you had said it to his face.

We are stuck with this bunch of players no matter who comes in and with the transfer window about to close we are well and truly :censored:ed.

I was hoping all this hype was about a signing or new investment.... I'm flamin gutted, it couldn't have come at a worse time. I really do fear for the future of this club now, I admire Corney's honesty but I'm sorry.....he is a plank!!!!

I think Dickov probably has 4 games to save his job.

I don't agree with it, but the warning signs are there.

I am always unhappy when a chairman mmakes these noises. Its not his place to spout off like this.

Edited by pukka

I think yet again, I find myself not disagreeing with what SC has said, just where he has chosen to say it.

IMO I think that this should have been said at a meeting with PD and the management group, then a scaled down version said to all the playing staff. IMO; it should not have gone to the media.

He talks sense does Corney, and I have to say I like the bloke, think he's a good egg and really does want to make a fist of running this club - but his media handling is pretty darn poor.

If anything, he's now added to the pressure on PD and only stoked the fire for the increasingly vocal set on here/twitter/Facebook/at games who are calling for a change in manager. I know PD said himself 'judge me after 10 games' and IMO that was a stupid thing to say; I think this Corney rant has just dropped a few off that amount unfortunately.

-On the Montano fee; I'm fine with it as an investment opportunity for the club; spending a reported £50K on a young winger. But - we do have a precedent set for another young winger coming in for a fee believed to be £65K; who flopped massively and was let go for a free - step forward Joe Colbeck. I hope Montano proves to be the exact opposite; and once fit; he shows his true potential and we do receive bids for him that make us a profit.

Playing 451 at home was the final straw for me, he's had the backing of the fans all the way but that was an insult...

Paul , didnt you hear Dickov on Radio Manchester ? It wasnt meant to be 4-5-1 it was meant to be 4-3-3 with Montano and Croft supporting Simpson

...................................................................................................................................................................... :laught30:

Think quite q mqjor restructure is going on.

Chron:

"Newton’s departure leaves Corney, Ian Hill and Trust Oldham chair Barry Owen as directors at Boundary Park. He says further changes are likely.

“Simon wants to restructure the board with a view to the future direction of the club and to that end I offered to step down,” Newton said.""

He put money in, as adonation. (Maybe paid for Montano!)

Chron:

" "I have enjoyed my time at Oldham and wish the fans well. I have put in a meaningful amount of money and will not be taking anything out. It will be written off as a donation" "

Publicly criticisng the fitness, so that is Butler in the line

So Barry Owen is ill,and IMHO should be concentrating on getting better, but am not sure SC woudl want to "lose" that seat, as Much as it may actually help him.

The development is now on the site, so cannot see much for Ian Hill to get involved with.

There are positivbes to all this changing around , getting people in that are best suited for the cvariosu aspect of running OAFC.

I am not sure how much Neil Joy gets involved with all the Football League admin so that might be an option for someone.

Finance is covered by Neil Joy.

Investment into the business, defiantely a Commercial Director role needed inc Stadium Operations and the rebuiling being looked after, sone with experience and contacts I feel similar job?

Paul , didnt you hear Dickov on Radio Manchester ? It wasnt meant to be 4-5-1 it was meant to be 4-3-3 with Montano and Croft supporting Simpson

...................................................................................................................................................................... :laught30:

From 4:55 I was immediately 'on it' to drive all memories of that dismal display out of me…..Sadly, I failed but for a few short hours on Saturday night, all was well with the world again...

Think quite q mqjor restructure is going on.

Chron:

"Newton’s departure leaves Corney, Ian Hill and Trust Oldham chair Barry Owen as directors at Boundary Park. He says further changes are likely.

“Simon wants to restructure the board with a view to the future direction of the club and to that end I offered to step down,” Newton said.""

He put money in, as adonation. (Maybe paid for Montano!)

Chron:

" "I have enjoyed my time at Oldham and wish the fans well. I have put in a meaningful amount of money and will not be taking anything out. It will be written off as a donation" "

Publicly criticisng the fitness, so that is Butler in the line

So Barry Owen is ill,and IMHO should be concentrating on getting better, but am not sure SC woudl want to "lose" that seat, as Much as it may actually help him.

The development is now on the site, so cannot see much for Ian Hill to get involved with.

There are positivbes to all this changing around , getting people in that are best suited for the cvariosu aspect of running OAFC.

I am not sure how much Neil Joy gets involved with all the Football League admin so that might be an option for someone.

Finance is covered by Neil Joy.

Investment into the business, defiantely a Commercial Director role needed inc Stadium Operations and the rebuiling being looked after, sone with experience and contacts I feel similar job?

I'm worried about Newton's "The direction, in which Simon wants to take the club.." comments. Are we being down-sized further? IS he gambling on relegation not being a bad thing, along with a new stand and a good season next year bringing a few back into the ground? If so it is a helluva gamble and he seems pretty unperturbed we have ZERO goal threat. His talking up of Slew is quite honestly bollocks! What happens after 6 months Simon? If he scores plenty, he'll go back. If he puts more disinterested performances in - he'll go back. Either way we've used a hefty chunk of the budget only to be back at square one in January…..

Feckin' Genius! And when was the last time we brought in a goalscorer that actually paid off in January?

Edited by oafcprozac

I find Simon Corney "telling it like it is" quite refreshing if i'm honest. I don't see how him speaking up in the press can possibly make things any worse than they already are. It's his club. He owns it. He pays all the bills. He's only saying what we all think after all and, as he's paying all the bills, he has every right to.

If I were the "management team" i'd start managing pretty quickly or the dole queue beckons. I genuinely hope they can turn it round but I just can't see it if i'm totally honest. And i'm a self confessed happy clapper.

I find Simon Corney "telling it like it is" quite refreshing if i'm honest. I don't see how him speaking up in the press can possibly make things any worse than they already are. It's his club. He owns it. He pays all the bills. He's only saying what we all think after all and, as he's paying all the bills, he has every right to.

If I were the "management team" i'd start managing pretty quickly or the dole queue beckons. I genuinely hope they can turn it round but I just can't see it if i'm totally honest. And i'm a self confessed happy clapper.

I'm of a similar mindset, SC seems as pissed off with things as the majority of us, and at least it shows he's still passionate.

At the end of the day, if PD and his coaching staff feel under pressure, then they can only blame themselves, after all they brought most of the players here and have presided over a truly appalling run of results and performances stretching back far longer than the 3 games some are alluding to.

Someone has to be held accountable, and PD is the captain of the ship...........it's the nature of the job.

If Dickov or the players can't take the ribbing they're deservedly getting then they're in the wrong game. Corney is reflecting the general consensus in the stands. He said he has already spoken to the manager, so I don't have an issue at all with Corney coming out and speaking frankly.

If he simply answered the questions Chambers and the Chron threw at him without a second's thought then I'd say it was irresponsible. However, the management and players know the score - if they can't take it, well it essentially sums up the soft spine that connects the playing side of things.

The players have irritated the fans with their consistently weak performances. None of us are idiots; we will always accept the odd poor performance, but when there is no sense of direction to their game time after time then the fans will start to pipe up.Now Corney's not happy - and that's the ultimate sign. He hasn't been very happy in each of Dickov's three seasons so Dickov should be thankful he's not been kicked out.

He's spoken to Dickov and Taggart and they will be on top of the players (the pair aren't daft - they don't need Corney's boot up the arse to understand). Now Corney isn't a man who keeps a firm arm around the shoulders of those at this club. It's about time Dickov follows suit. If they're not tough enough to take the stick some are bringing on themselves then I don't want them at Oldham Athletic.

I thought Saturday's opponents were a perfect example to gauge the attitudes of our players. Some are frankly gutless. Corney is telling them so. I'm sure a few of us would love to do the same.

If Dickov or the players can't take the ribbing they're deservedly getting then they're in the wrong game. Corney is reflecting the general consensus in the stands. He said he has already spoken to the manager, so I don't have an issue at all with Corney coming out and speaking frankly.

If he simply answered the questions Chambers and the Chron threw at him without a second's thought then I'd say it was irresponsible. However, the management and players know the score - if they can't take it, well it essentially sums up the soft spine that connects the playing side of things.

The players have irritated the fans with their consistently weak performances. None of us are idiots; we will always accept the odd poor performance, but when there is no sense of direction to their game time after time then the fans will start to pipe up.Now Corney's not happy - and that's the ultimate sign. He hasn't been very happy in each of Dickov's three seasons so Dickov should be thankful he's not been kicked out.

He's spoken to Dickov and Taggart and they will be on top of the players (the pair aren't daft - they don't need Corney's boot up the arse to understand). Now Corney isn't a man who keeps a firm arm around the shoulders of those at this club. It's about time Dickov follows suit. If they're not tough enough to take the stick some are bringing on themselves then I don't want them at Oldham Athletic.

I thought Saturday's opponents were a perfect example to gauge the attitudes of our players. Some are frankly gutless. Corney is telling them so. I'm sure a few of us would love to do the same.

Wonder if the players will answer his criticisms again with a crap 1-0 defeat again like they did last season at Notts County. That pretty much shows the mindset of Simpson, Furman and co….

The players have irritated the fans with their consistently weak performances.

I thought it was okay to be utterly dog :censored: week in week out as long as they apologise to us on twitter afterwards...

#idontwantyourapologieseveryweekrobbiesimpsonijustwantyoutoplaylikeyoureactuallyinterested

It was suppose to be 4-3-3, that turned into 4-5-1 three quarters of that first half it looked like 4-6-0. The past six months since February the football as been worse than under penney, yes it was unattractive under penney but we were disciplined at least.

My last game was 10 games near to the end of last season im SO glad i don't go anymore, they just bore the :censored: out of me and no more going home angry and depressed i feel great haa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would anyone of the stay aways return having read that article. £50,000 on Montano is ludicrous when people are flogging to raise money in £1.50 chunks with enthusiasm.

people are raising money for signings then it's "ludicrous" to spend money on a signing when people are trying to raise money to do just that?

what??

is there a specific fee and/or wage you want these £1.50's to go on?