Corney: Not fit for purpose

I think if we just "look to the past" and appoint a Ritchie or Royle, I'd lose even more faith.

Same here, when Royle returned there was that brief period of nostalgic excitement then that awkward silence when everyone realises that it was no better than it was before. I don't want us to go there again

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, when Royle returned there was that brief period of nostalgic excitement then that awkward silence when everyone realises that it was no better than it was before. I don't want us to go there again

Atmosphere was great for his first game V Tranmere

Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army!

I think the Corney outburst in the press and to PD & Co is fuelled mainly by the drop of 1000 fans through the gates from a poor turnout last season. This is serious :censored:. PD is indeed a likeable character but boy have we been treated to some poor stuff?. We get one semi off the seat moment per game topped off by too many defeats. It's taken it's toll.

I understand the sentiment but with Royle, he's won promotions and FA Cups.. I wouldn't be unhappy if he got the job on a permanent/go for it basis. He was on a hiding to nothing last time.

Probably would be a bad idea and the fact that he contributed to some very happy childhood memories play a part in my bias, just don't think anyone who achieved so much would 'lose it'.

Seems to be a 'when rather than if' element to posts now.. I want Dickov to have his 10 games and change minds, just noy confident he will.

I understand the sentiment but with Royle, he's won promotions and FA Cups.. I wouldn't be unhappy if he got the job on a permanent/go for it basis. He was on a hiding to nothing last time.

Probably would be a bad idea and the fact that he contributed to some very happy childhood memories play a part in my bias, just don't think anyone who achieved so much would 'lose it'.

Seems to be a 'when rather than if' element to posts now.. I want Dickov to have his 10 games and change minds, just noy confident he will.

That's the vibe isn't it? Once the tide turns it's hard to swin against it. Facebook/Twitter/On here....his time's run out for many and I think he'll be gone soon.

I posted a while back that I could see how this was going, and i really can now. Corney's words haven't helped at all.

I don't understand the criticism of the Montano transfer fee. We have a good record at Oldham Athletic for a while now - Dale Stephens being an excellent example.

We have sold players and as Corney says in today's Chron we have turned down "good" offers for Winchester and Mellor.

He isn't fit so we haven't seen what he's about yet, but rivals supporters have been disappointed with the news that he isn't signing a new contract or joining their club.

Out of everything, the Montano fee surely takes the back-seat. It does for me, anyway.

With Joe Royle, I look to Kenny Dalglish. There was a man who was out of touch with football. Tactically brilliant, but lacking in many departments.

I think it's his tactics for Joe. Everything else about the man's style is still excellent.

Edited by UpTheLatics

With Joe Royle, I look to Kenny Dalglish. There was a man who was out of touch with football. Tactically brilliant, but lacking in many departments.

I think it's his tactics for Joe. Everything else about the man's style is still excellent.

I don't think Joe bothered much with tactics - just go out and score goals seemed to his philosophy.

I don't understand the criticism of the Montano transfer fee. We have a good record at Oldham Athletic for a while now - Dale Stephens being an excellent example.

We have sold players and as Corney says in today's Chron we have turned down "good" offers for Winchester and Mellor.

He isn't fit so we haven't seen what he's about yet, but rivals supporters have been disappointed with the news that he isn't signing a new contract or joining their club.

Out of everything, the Montano fee surely takes the back-seat. It does for me, anyway.

I agree, at 50k he's hardly a bankbuster and if he realizes the potential we're told he has then as and when the time comes to sell it'll have been a good investment.

Atmosphere was great for his first game V Tranmere

Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army!

I remember it well it was great for the first 10 minutes, then it went quiet and everyone behind us in the REE started moaning. I think it was the last time I sat there I couldn't bear those miserable tools much longer

I remember it well it was great for the first 10 minutes, then it went quiet and everyone behind us in the REE started moaning. I think it was the last time I sat there I couldn't bear those miserable tools much longer

Must be mistaking it for the main stand.

It was rocking until Thomas :censored: Moore scored that penalty.

I really like Dickov as a person - never met him but comes over as honest, hard-working dedicated and ambitious. Shame some of the players he's signed haven't echoed his qualities!

He needs a fair crack of the whip though with extra faces in the squad. I'm bemused as to why he hasn't exercised his connections with City to get loanees for free. I'd even suggest we exercise the Richards clause in return for a steady stream of long-term loanees for coming seasons or even accept that we become a feeder club and blood the City kids within the laws of the leagues.

If the budget's gone then no matter who we get in the it's mission impossible.

If he does get the bullet - and it'll be a damn shame - then we need to get Dowie and Harbin back. Dowie admitted just this week that his time at Oldham was some of his favourite and memorable. He'd have the players running through walls and Harbin would get them fit!

With regards to Dickov, if we're realistically considering sacking him at this stage I think we are jumping the gun a bit. The warning signs are definitely there, I don't feel PD has spent the budget wisely and if things don't significantly improve performance and results wise then we'll have little choice other than to part company but 3 games, no matter how bad, is not giving Dickov a fair enough crack of the whip. I don't blame Corney saying these things to the press as it's his cash that is being spent and it's good to know he cares strongly, although I think it would've been more appropriate when we've reached 10 or so games. For me, 7 more games is ample time for Dickov to prove that things are changing (or not). Then again I'm generally quite patient with managers.

The only benefit I could see for Corney sacking Dickov now would be that he could use the next few days to give a new manager a chance to spend money shaping his own squad, but that interview implies that Corney isn't willing to spend much more than he already has and just because it hasn't been distributed very well doesn't mean it hasn't been made available by him and the board.

If he does get the bullet - and it'll be a damn shame - then we need to get Dowie and Harbin back. Dowie admitted just this week that his time at Oldham was some of his favourite and memorable. He'd have the players running through walls and Harbin would get them fit!

Anyone know what John Harbin is up to these days?

Back home in Oz

Should have taken the Crawley job Paul. There's no such thing as loyalty in football!

This season he has tried to bring in better quality players. Unfortunately these players know that there is precious little competition for places.