Simply as I saw first hand the football they played against us with 10 then 9 men. They were very unlucky that day and even down to 9 they worried us! Equalising when down to 10, then taking the lead with 9. That's the sort of spirit we need. He kept Leeds up when they were struggling too. I think the fact we lack experience on the field is one issue, but the lack of experience on the touchline is a big issue.

The issue was the same with Stitch, BUT he had Billy Urmson. You can't buy experience in the dug out in times of trouble. Failing that Dickov should consider bringing in someone like Brian Horton. Or if He truly does have Joe's ear, time to see if he wants to listen….

Yeah I've got one. I support this Football Club called Oldham Athletic. Every few years the fans get restless and agitate the board to fire the manager. Usually within a few weeks they oblige, resulting in a massive staying the same of the clubs results. In fact they steadily get worse.

Don't forget about a year and a half into his reign saying that a predecessor shouldn't have been sacked, any manager needs at least three years, and then calling for his head when things start to go wrong in the middle of year three.

Then repeat.

Then repeat.

Should we not be seeing some green shoots of progression though by now ?

I personally don't like trigger happy chairmen either, but, how long can you flog a dead horse ?

We've had umpteen players through our squads in the last couple of seasons and don't appear to be any further forward than when PD's reign started.

Yes he's a nice guy but how many points do you get for that ?

one win and one draw from our opening 4 games is not good enough (granted one loss was from a team in a higher division but one loss was from a team in a lower division) I think this 'judge me after ten games' comment from dickov will ocme back and bite him in the arse, weve been nowhere good enough so far and there's little sign of improving, delving into the loan market is essential as the squad is evidently extremelly weak

Now, being a pendant here,

Exact same teams can achieve immense changes in productivity merely by bringing in another manager.

l

Now I never had you down as a pendant, Sly!!!

But I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement and am finding myself wanting a change of management as each day passes.

I like Dickov......he's passionate and enthusiastic but something isn't right. As others have stated, we haven't really improved in the 2+ years.

Do we then change all the management team, just the assistant or carry on as we are? I really can't see the third option as being viable which leaves Dickov/Taggart or just Taggart out. My choice, as I have said before, would be to bring in an experienced "John Gorman" type to mentor Dickov.

Edited by mikejh45

Simply as I saw first hand the football they played against us with 10 then 9 men. They were very unlucky that day and even down to 9 they worried us! Equalising when down to 10, then taking the lead with 9. That's the sort of spirit we need. He kept Leeds up when they were struggling too. I think the fact we lack experience on the field is one issue, but the lack of experience on the touchline is a big issue.

The issue was the same with Stitch, BUT he had Billy Urmson. You can't buy experience in the dug out in times of trouble. Failing that Dickov should consider bringing in someone like Brian Horton. Or if He truly does have Joe's ear, time to see if he wants to listen….

I don't think having a few chats with older heads is going to influence much, either. I think the players are handled too softly. Some are too comfortable, some are mentally weak. I don't know if it's just my attitude to the game, but youngsters like James Tarkowski like to feel sorry for themselves. I want Dickov to boot them up the arse - this applies to Simpson and Furman.

Dickov needs to create men out of boys. If Simpson is playing well below his standard he's out. He needs to be honest and tough. I'd be looking at Simpson and I'd voice my doubts about him. Why did your career stall after a move up? If we're going to go down (not literally via relegation, or perhaps so) I'd rather do it without spineless, moaning, inconsistent players like Simpson.

But then Dickov needs to create something with what he's got. He needs to create thick-skinned lads who aren't afraid of shouting. I like Mellor. I think he's got a clever mind and a very good left foot. Bring him in. Change it. Show some imagination. Winchester is a weak lad. He goes. The simple fact is Dickov's biggest fault is he wraps his players up in cotton wool. Now he's beginning to get angry and I bloody love it! He's showing something different this season. Slowly, mind.

I'm not too worried yet because I believe there is more to this group yet. I also believe Dickov can do something. Once Wesolowski returns I'll feel comfortable. If Furman doesn't improve then he also gets benched. Bollocks to looking at the young lads, I'm looking at some of the older lads and beginning to doubt their mettle and attitude.

I don't think Reid would do owt different. I do think Dickov is the man to improve things. But he needs to change his style.

surely the biggest problem remains the size of the squad. who is to blame? PD failed to sign 3-4 players? Corney not giving him the money? answer the question then point the finger.

^This

Is anyone surprised that we're struggling with the size of squad we have? We don't know the reason why the squad is such a small size but I believe we're seeing more players out of a contract than ever and there seems to be a few players who aren't living in the real world in terms of wages, for all we know they could have refused to bring players in on principal.

On another note I can take being mocked by Man Utd, City, Liverpool fans etc because they're watching a completely different game but when you get the likes of Chesterfield, Doncaster and Bradford etc taking the piss then it can be very hard to take even if it is mostly good natured banter.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I don't think having a few chats with older heads is going to influence much, either. I think the players are handled too softly. Some are too comfortable, some are mentally weak. I don't know if it's just my attitude to the game, but youngsters like James Tarkowski like to feel sorry for themselves. I want Dickov to boot them up the arse - this applies to Simpson and Furman.

Dickov needs to create men out of boys. If Simpson is playing well below his standard he's out. He needs to be honest and tough. I'd be looking at Simpson and I'd voice my doubts about him. Why did your career stall after a move up? If we're going to go down (not literally via relegation, or perhaps so) I'd rather do it without spineless, moaning, inconsistent players like Simpson.

But then Dickov needs to create something with what he's got. He needs to create thick-skinned lads who aren't afraid of shouting. I like Mellor. I think he's got a clever mind and a very good left foot. Bring him in. Change it. Show some imagination. Winchester is a weak lad. He goes. The simple fact is Dickov's biggest fault is he wraps his players up in cotton wool. Now he's beginning to get angry and I bloody love it! He's showing something different this season. Slowly, mind.

I'm not too worried yet because I believe there is more to this group yet. I also believe Dickov can do something. Once Wesolowski returns I'll feel comfortable. If Furman doesn't improve then he also gets benched. Bollocks to looking at the young lads, I'm looking at some of the older lads and beginning to doubt their mettle and attitude.

I don't think Reid would do owt different. I do think Dickov is the man to improve things. But he needs to change his style.

I've just remembered something. What happened to the 'run through brick wall' players?

I'll add Cliff Byrne in to that bracket; but the others that have come in? Hmmmm.

Any money held back will now have been lost by two cup exits and the slump in support. If Corney has money why would he give it ti Dickov when Slew was has number one target - a guy that gets injured by turning to shoot and who probably has an agreement to start when fit. Smith has demonstrated how bad that piece of business was and Smith is improving.

My experience of management is that you have to have every approach at your disposal because each member of your team is different. Being nice works for some but whatever he is doing is taking away confidence hence the stupid mistakes. Shouting at a child because he isn't getting it right does not work. Standing on the touchline with your arms folded is the worse signal you can give - I'd rather he went outside the ground for a blow! Something is wrong - it is not working - the team is going backwards.

Any money held back will now have been lost by two cup exits and the slump in support. If Corney has money why would he give it ti Dickov when Slew was has number one target - a guy that gets injured by turning to shoot and who probably has an agreement to start when fit. Smith has demonstrated how bad that piece of business was and Smith is improving.

My experience of management is that you have to have every approach at your disposal because each member of your team is different. Being nice works for some but whatever he is doing is taking away confidence hence the stupid mistakes. Shouting at a child because he isn't getting it right does not work. Standing on the touchline with your arms folded is the worse signal you can give - I'd rather he went outside the ground for a blow! Something is wrong - it is not working - the team is going backwards.

Agree 100% He's saying the same things after nearly every game, that the players aren't listening, after a year or so it's getting a little tedious. He doesn't seem to do anything constructive from the touchline during the game and as has been said many times he spends to much time (almost constantly in fact) berating the fourth official about tackles, offside decisions, and god knows what else.

I wish Corney would ban him from the touchline for a month because whatever he's doing it's not helping the cause....he needs to watch it from up in the stands where we suffer week after week watching the same dross drift towards it's inevitable conclusion.

You're dead right, we are going backwards and something needs to change. I don't think the present set up can effect a change and a shake up of the coaching staff ( not necessarily Dickov ) is now almost inevitable.

This is his team and at the begining of the season he said he was happy with it, yet, it is no different to the one he inherited and the two he has built since. Corney, for all his faults must be totally bewildered!!!

In last night's rarely-wrong Chron, Simpson says "The manager made his feelings known to us on Tuesday and rightly so. He can create all the tactical plans, but if we players don't implement them, there is not a lot he can do about it".

http://www.oldham-ch...collective-flop

well, he could get rid of said players and get a new team. but we've tried that 4 times under PD already and about 100 times since 2005

The alternative is to dropa few players, but we operate on a tight budget

Once I was told if people are not listeneing , it is the fault of the communicator not the epople being communicated to.

SO maybe PD has to alter what he is doing.

one win and one draw from our opening 4 games is not good enough (granted one loss was from a team in a higher division but one loss was from a team in a lower division) I think this 'judge me after ten games' comment from dickov will ocme back and bite him in the arse, weve been nowhere good enough so far and there's little sign of improving, delving into the loan market is essential as the squad is evidently extremelly weak

I think I'll do exactly that (discounting the two cup games) - six more to go then...

Edited by TheBigDog