Simpson lives on his anfield goal been garbage every game

Agree with that. Simpson is obvious a good footballer, but seems lazier each week and content on nagging the ref at every stoppage (a la Taylor). Needs to concentrate on this game.

One of the undroppables like Cisak, and Grounds needs to buck his ideas up too.

Agree, with that about Simpson. Good footballer, but seems more intent on moaning at ref. No problem with Cisak though, last season he dropped very few blunders and has only dropped one bollock so far this season (how long did we persist with Dean Brill before he got dropped). Grounds isn't attacking enough for me but is fairly solid defensively.

Every player goes through a bad patch, but I doubt any of them would do so intentionally. Don't forget, footballers are human beings, having different personalities and traits. Consequently, they all need handling differently. Some will respond to a bollocking, others to an arm round the shoulder.

By the same token, some players need to be taken out of the firing line quickly to get their confidence back. Others need to play through it and rediscover their form. Practically every team in the land has quality players who go off the boil, but not every one of them is dropped and they come good again.

Now, we don't know which category Simmo falls into. Benching him could make his head drop further, although there has to be a time when that must happen if the bad run continues. PD knows his players better than we do and we have to believe that he knows how to handle them psychologically. Many of you, like me, will have spent a long time in management. Did you treat every under performer the same or did you consider how their performance would improve with a different approach? I know which I did.

I'm not saying Simmo has to play until Doomsday to get his form back but, as Stevie_J says, this is the first time he has had any competition. If he starts on Tuesday, let's see how he handles it. He was subbed today, so he knows he's not indispensable. If he doesn't start, then we will know that PD knows how to handle it best.

He hasn't suddenly become a bad player. We all know that there's a bloody good footballer in there. Let's see what happens, eh?

Edited by Bristolatic

Every player goes through a bad patch, but I doubt any of them would do so intentionally. Don't forget, footballers are human beings, having different personalities and traits. Consequently, they all need handling differently. Some will respond to a bollocking, others to an arm round the shoulder.

By the same token, some players need to be taken out of the firing line quickly to get their confidence back. Others need to play through it and rediscover their form. Practically every team in the land has quality players who go off the boil, but every one of them is dropped and they come good again.

Now, we don't know which category Simmo falls into. Benching him could make his head drop further, although there has to be a time when that must happen if the bad run continues. PD knows his players better than we do and we have to believe that he knows how to handle them psychologically. Many of you, like me, will have spent a long time in management. Did you treat every under performer the same or did you consider how their performance would improve with a different approach? I know which I did.

I'm not saying Simmo has to play until Doomsday to get his form back but, as Stevie_J says, this is the first time he has had any competition. If he starts on Tuesday, let's see how he handles it. He was subbed today, so he knows he's not indispensable. If he doesn't start, then we will know that PD knows how to handle it best.

He hasn't suddenly become a bad player. We all know that there's a bloody good footballer in there. Let's see what happens, eh?

I would normally agree Bristol, but he has been :censored: sice January! Funnily enough he hasn't been the same player since starting contract talks with us.......??????(:censored:ing annoying with these people isn't it?) Today was an outragously :censored: performance and he is starting to get me down now. He was lazy today. I have always liked Simmo but if he cant be arsed I hope he goes sooner rather than later!

Simpson, in the right frame of mind, is an asset to our side. It will be interesting to see how he responds now that there is competition for places up front.

Subconsiously he may have gone off the boil due to not really having anyone pressing him for his starting spot........time will tell.

Simpson, in the right frame of mind, is an asset to our side. It will be interesting to see how he responds now that there is competition for places up front.

Subconsiously he may have gone off the boil due to not really having anyone pressing him for his starting spot........time will tell.

It's called the "Dean Brill Syndrome"

"Simpson lives on his Anfield goal"

you do realise we lost that game 5-1 don't you?

any footballer who lives off a goal in a 5-1 defeat wont have a very long career

he is just having a bad time at the moment but that could all change in the a few weeks time, Players dont turn :censored: overnight - form is temporary

he is just having a bad time at the moment but that could all change in the a few weeks time, Players dont turn :censored: overnight - form is temporary

I agree with the last part but we could still be saying the same thing in February.

If Simpson's poor form carries on, when should the manager make the change? For me, it has to be now as we don't have enough quality within the rest of the team to carry him........for a club like Oldham, we need 11 players pulling together to move up this division.

I know people don't half go over the top on things don't they someone's either a god or they are the worst player thats ever pulled on a blue shirt.

We don't need to get rid of him or anything like that just put him on the bench right now and tell him to work his way back into the team and lets see how he responds.

We're a fickle mob us latics fans. Admittedly Simpson had a stinker yesterday and it stands out as there were a lot of good individual performances. In recent weeks he's been at least as good as most others on the pitch, had a decent game at pompey and his effort is never in doubt. He was devastated after missing the pen, and while I agree that maybe he should have a week on the bench as a foot up the arse, (and it should probably be with smith taking his place if Baxter isn't fully fit as Dickov has stated), he isn't a bad player and shouldn't be flung on the scrap heap. I'm more worried about Grounds - he was terrible against dons, and mediocre at best against stevenage and pompey, and should have done better for county's first yesterday. I hope he comes good and it might just be taking a few games for him to settle, but he'd be my main concern over simpson.

The fact that this thread has been started shows we all know Simpson is a good player

If he was :censored: we wouldn't have the thread saying 'our :censored: player was :censored: again'

Robbie is undoubtable under prefoming he has been the 1st to admit that its how he responds that will make people respect him and ulimatley a better player, i hope he comes on tomorrow night and the ball hits him in the arse in the last min for a winner

We know he is capable he actually showed loyalty to us when he said he signed in the summer he was offered bigger deals elsewhere but likes it here so lets help him hey!

Am I the only one who thought Simmo's performance on Saturday was his best of the season so far (penalty miss aside)?

I'm a Simpson fan. I thought he won a lot of headers as he always does. But I thought that was about all he did. I'm not sure he is suitable for the style of play we are striving for. For me he slow the play down and very often takes the sting out of our attacks.

If Simpson does start tomorrow then everyone should get behind him

some people may want Derbyshire and Baxter in from the start but if Simpson does start then a negative attitude will not exactly help his form.

and for everyone raving Derbyshire and Baxter (I thought they where very good by the way) can I just add

Rueben Reid after 1 Latics appearance also had one goal after a 20 minute cameo, many thought we had a great signing then - lets give it a few weeks eh?

"Simpson lives on his Anfield goal"

you do realise we lost that game 5-1 don't you?

any footballer who lives off a goal in a 5-1 defeat wont have a very long career

In fairness, it was a :censored: great goal though :grin:

Robbie Simpson's form dropped last year when the entire team stopped playing football and collectively shat the end of the season down the toilet. He was not the only one, and may have been least culpable due to being moved out wide.

As for this season - he may not have played too well last couple, but didn't he storm preseason? Along with Furman, who is now also apparently :censored: and unable to pass forward. Get a grip, give the guys some slack and try and enjoy the game...

Simpson is undoubtedly a talented player - support him in his difficult times or run the risk of seeing another Eardley or Davies where someone else gets their best years for sod all.