Drab kit last night

I was mentioned last night how drab the Latics deep blue kit looked under floodlights whereas Scunthorpe's all white strip stood out.

Who chooses these nondescript kits ?

I know they won't make a poor team any better, but get back to the traditional colours of blue and white shirts, white shorts and white socks and give the club some identity please SC.

What on earth was wrong with this ?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4589650386_dcfe47a6ac_o.jpg

Edited by BP1960

I was mentioned last night how drab the Latics deep blue kit looked under floodlights whereas Scunthorpe's all white strip stood out.

I know they won't make a poor team any better, but get back to the traditional colours of blue and white shirts, white shorts and white socks and give the club some identity please SC.

http://farm5.static....cfe47a6ac_o.jpg

Maybe we should wear a pink and purple strip with lime green trim? That would certainly help identify us. But I suppose it's not traditional. Mind you, if you go 'traditional' we just end up wearing blue and white, which a lot of other clubs use, which means we haven't got an 'identity'.

Oh, it's just so difficult!

Maybe we should wear a pink and purple strip with lime green trim? That would certainly help identify us. But I suppose it's not traditional. Mind you, if you go 'traditional' we just end up wearing blue and white, which a lot of other clubs use, which means we haven't got an 'identity'.

Oh, it's just so difficult!

The traditional 1960s kit had real identity, although just blue and white Blackburn Rovers haven't changed their traditional strip and and it's instantly recognised as unique. The current all deep blue is IMO as drab and dreary, particularly under floodlights where a bright shimmering kit can give the illusion of faster play.

The traditional 1960s kit had real identity, although just blue and white Blackburn Rovers haven't changed their traditional strip and and it's instantly recognised as unique. The current all deep blue is IMO as drab and dreary, particularly under floodlights where a bright shimmering kit can give the illusion of faster play.

Question: what advantage does having a 'unique' kit with 'real identity' offer?

And, frankly, your final sentence is laughable.

Question: what advantage does having a 'unique' kit with 'real identity' offer?

And, frankly, your final sentence is laughable.

The obvious answer is in your question - real identity, that's why unique branding is so important with companies ?

Frankly, you lack a sense of humour.

Edited by BP1960

I agree with BP, ask any kit manufacturer and the players themselves. In the late 80s keepers began wearing luminous colours as it made them look bigger and more imposing. Same with the all black kits that began appearing in the early 90s. Teams wear garish colours for the same reasons, as well as being easier to pick one another out, brighter colours give an impression of a team swarming forward.

As for our kit, I've bought it for me and my daughter but do agree it looks crap under lights and sat there thinking that last night. I'd be supportive of switching to tangerine for night matches, the players would stand out if nothing else.

Edited by oafcprozac

I agree with BP, ask any kit manufacturer and the players themselves. In the late 80s keepers began wearing luminous colours as it made them look bigger and more imposing. Same with the all black kits that began appearing in the early 90s.

Teams not wear garish colours for the same reasons, as well as being easier to pick one another out, brighter colours give an impression of a team swarming forward.

As for our kit, I've bought it for and my daughter but do agree it looks crap under lights and sat there thinking that last night.

I'd be supportive of switching to tangerine for night matches, the players would stand out if nothing else.

Thanks Prozac, When Ken Bates was chairman in the late 1960s one thing he did was to introduce the shiny electric orange shirts (although I personally preferred the old style).

I seem to remember how they glimmered under floodlights and it may well have been an illusion with my mind playing tricks (probably better players then), but the team appeared to be slicker and sharper.

Don Revie in fact believed that players wearing white were easier to pick out quickly than those in any other colour.

Edited by BP1960

Thanks Prozac, When Ken Bates was chairman in the late 1960s one thing he did was to introduce the shiny electric orange shirts (although I personally preferred the old style).

I seem to remember how they glimmered under floodlights and it may well have been an illusion with my mind playing tricks (probably better players then), but the team appeared to be slicker and sharper.

Don Revie in fact believed that players wearing white were easier to pick out quickly than those in any other colour.

Is it just coincidence that the only victory was when wearing the bright tangerine away kit?

http://farm5.static....cfe47a6ac_o.jpg

It was awful and not true Latics, apart from a couple of seasons in the early sixties. It was Ipswich. It was Peterborough. I think it was Cardiff at one point as well.

The true, traditional Latics kit is over there <<<<<. Looked bloody good with blue shorts too. Now, that was distinctive.

Apart from Taggart complaining that his players couldn't see each other in a grey kit at Sarfampton a few years back, and I reckon it was just an excuse, I don't think the kit colour makes any difference whatsoever with regards performance..

Well apart from those who still think it makes no difference the worm is starting to turn. I posted on this before. We are the boys in drab blue and it has, it does and it will make a difference. We also want our goal keeper to stop hiding in pale blue. I was waiting confidently for the stats to prove the point and will post on this subject again when, as much as I wish otherwise, they do.

But we weren't in the drab blue for the second half of last season....

And our performances have actually picked up substantially in the last two games, wearing the French blue, even though we haven't won like we did at Portsmouth.

Would the kit have been an issue if Baxter's goal had stood, as it should have done, to complete a rousing comeback - or if the referee last night had thought Slocombe was one of our players and let the goal stand. Grounds certainly did have any problems picking out the invisible Derbyshire ghosting in at the near post.

Rather than the kit, it's just the team - that are still moulding and improving - that were pants in the first half.

We all know it's actually the Angry Owl's fault.....

What about the other times we've been rubbish? We weren't in 'drab blue' in the second half of the last two seasons..

Football performances aint about the colour of the kit, its about the footballing ability. Bright kits might be bit nicer on the fans eye but thats it.

And anyone who says wearing certain colour kits makes it harder to see team mates need their eyes testing. (Unless both teams are wearing basically same colour kits!)