**NEW MANAGER**

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you want him out or not (which I think even his biggest supporters would acknowledge isn't an entirely unreasonable view) he's done nothing, as far as I can see, to warrant the "wee jock :censored:er" comment.

Agreed, but you haven't always been too kind to him, have you.... :grin:

Anyone think gregan would make a good manager? Agreed he is a rookie but nobody would argue he's as tough as a brick :censored:house and wouldn't let the players take the piss/ disobey orders etc. could be a cheaper alternative to dowie but in the same " no nonsense" mould.

I think he might, but I'd like to see him have some more coaching experience before we appoint him. I'm fairly certain he still has a house in the area, though.

Anyone think gregan would make a good manager? Agreed he is a rookie but nobody would argue he's as tough as a brick :censored:house and wouldn't let the players take the piss/ disobey orders etc. could be a cheaper alternative to dowie but in the same " no nonsense" mould.

Not really, no.

Steve Cotterill would be a great manager to have but he could probably get a club in a higher position/league and he's prone to jumping ship too soon.

I don't want ANY ex-Oldham manager, need to look to the future not the past. Need a manager who will steadily build this club up over the seasons. Open to anyone who can do that, with or without managerial experience.

I'm against the nostalgia route. Nice pick-me-up for a game or two, but it's a bit like having a line of coke. Great for a short while. Feeling flat and unfulfilled thereafter.

How about Gary Mills, current manager at York City? Fantastic lower-league track record, knows non-league well so could pick up a gem or two.

Dean Holdsworth? Fine record with Newport & doing OK with Aldershot, a club with little finances.

I'd be OK with Steve Cotterill, but names to avoid IMO; Phil Brown, Paul Ince, Gary Megson, Jim Gannon, Any former OAFC legend.

Can't say I hold up too much confidence in SC's next appointment though.

when i had sunday morning swimming lessons at Chaddy baths, i walked in one day to see the Latics squad doing lengths and delaying my lesson... I can't have been older than 8 or 9, but Iain Dowie in swimming trunks is a memory that probably won't leave me... If we ended up appointing Dowie, we have to think of children who's lessons follow after!

:laught30:

Steve Cotterill would be a great manager to have but he could probably get a club in a higher position/league and he's prone to jumping ship too soon.

I don't want ANY ex-Oldham manager, need to look to the future not the past. Need a manager who will steadily build this club up over the seasons. Open to anyone who can do that, with or without managerial experience.

I might be alone in this view but I see a lot of benefits from having a short-term permanent manager at present. I'd like to see someone come in until the end of the season to try an do a good job with this current squad, then both the club and manager will have the opportunity to extend the deal or go their separate ways (hopefully with both club and manager having their reputations enhanced). Not sure we can afford to invest in steady progression, an ambitious manager looking to make an instant impact in the short term would suit our situation better. Young, ambitious managers who are looking to prove themselves could see us as a great opportunity and should be affordable.

Personally i think PD has another 2 games maximum left before SC get's tired and sacks him. But in terms of possible replacements, who is there really?

Ritchie - An OAFC legend, goes without saying, but never did anything last time he was here with serious money constraints. Since leaving he won the play-offs with Barnsley and did nothing with Huddersfield, although i like Ritchie, i wouldn't bring him back.

Royle - Again, a legend but look at what happened last time - 1 win in 13? that's almost as bad as PD's current run - no thanks.

Dyche - An interesting name that keeps popping up at every available job - he seems like a tough manager who knows how to set his team up to win - was successful at Watford before being unrightfully removed from his post. A maybe for me, seems like a risk at the same time though.

Cotterill - Proven manager in the lower leagues - last did it at Notts County, however he is known for jumping ship quite early for no apparent reason - we need success but we also need stability - a no from me.

Gannon - Someone up the thread mentioned his name, i do like Jim Gannon, even if he does seem like abit of a cock - he's a tough manager who does seem to get the best out of his teams - however, unsuccessful at Peterborough and not doing anything at Stockport now - surely it's not worth the risk?

Sheridan - Was succesful in a sense in his first spell here - first season was excellent and unlucky in the play-offs but downhill from there on and the night at the dogs spelled the end - i like Sheridan as a person, but as a manager, he relies heavily on the loan system and never gets a full, stable squad in place - didn't do anything last time - no point bringing him back.

Phil Brown - Another manager i quite like, he was sucessful at Hull and got them into the Premierleague, however then being unsucessful at Preston, even if anyone doing that job could have done much better. His philosophy of football and determination could help us, but again i can't see him being the definitive answer to our problems.

Dowie - Was hugely successful in building a brilliant team in his only proper season here, but the difference was he had money! Since leaving in '03 he led Palace to the PremierLeague but then resigned in controversial circumstances. Has done nothing since. I like his style of toughening up players and instilling a fighting attutide, however would he be the right man without money - it wouldn't seem so, he'd still be on my shortlist though!

In summary, this would be my shortlist..

Sean Dyche

Iain Dowie

Jim Magilton

A VERY short list... I just don't see anyone out there who would make a massive difference compared to what we have seen of late.

If i had to choose though, Dyche for me, one season in management that went reasonably well, chance to prove himself at a slightly lower level - good for all involved IMO.

*Edit*

Forgot to Add Tony Philliskirk - if the club did want to appoint someone who knows the club, the day to day running etc then he would be the perfect choice and i would love to finally see him make the step up - i think he's been linked to the role everytime it's become available since Talbot left.

First Choice - Philliskirk

Second Choice - Dyche

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Holdsworth has done pretty similar at Aldershot as to what PD has done here : No thanks.

Hmmm. Turned Newport into the team they are now from being adrift in non-league wilderness. Stopped Aldershot from being relegated when he arrived and narrowly missed out on the play-offs. They lie 18th at the moment but it's early days and an open division.

It's hardly 'another Dickov' Paddy. I thought you knew your football.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly