The next 5 games....

Right, after the depressing start, we seem to be picking up some form and, more importantly, results.

I think everyone would have snatched hands off at the offer of 7pts from Crewe (A), Preston (H) & Sheff United (A) beforehand and we now have reasons to be optimistic.

The next 5 games will now give us a good idea on where we are realistically looking to compete in the league this season. Top half? Mid-table obscurity? Relegation battle?

Leyton Orient (H)

Carlisle United (A)

Crawley Town (A)

Bury (H)

Tranmere Rovers(H)

I see no reason why we can't pick up a minimum of 9pts here. It's about time we made BP a bit of a tough place to visit for opposing teams so, after the impressive win over Preston, if we can pick up 3 more home wins in a row against Leyton Orient, Bury & Tranmere (so what if they're top, it wont last), then that should give us some much needed confidence at home for the rest of the season as I cannot remember winning 4 home games in a row for a long, long time.

That leaves us with the away games - Carlisle isn't exactly our favourite ground, plus a long trip on a Tuesday night means it might not be all that easy, even if Notts County spanked 'em for 4 this weekend.....and Crawley (who I don't dislike as much now that odious tosser has gone to Rotherham) who, at home, will provide probably the toughest test (unless Tranmere haven't began to slip by the time we play them).

Personally, I'd be pleased with 9pts, but the optimist in me says we'll get 12 (providing we keep the spine of our team injury-free).

And Dickov, please please please sign Jose Baxter up til the end of the season before others come poaching!

OWTB!

The pessimist in me suggests we need 35 points in total before Baxter goes elsewhere in order to stay up. This is 22 points in 14 games which looks like six wins and four draws which the optimist in me thinks will be achieved with wins at home on the 26th and 29th December. 8 points in the next 5 might not get us there.

When do we lose Derbyshire? Is it after this group of 5 games?

Realistically I can see us getting 8 points. The Optimistic in me says 10 points. The Pessimist still thinks we can get at least 6 points (1 win and 3 draws).

Derbyshire is with us until the Crawley game

Yes, I did forget to mention that the basing our realistic seasonal expectations on how we perform over the next 5 games was providing we can somehow keep hold of Baxter & Derbyshire (or at least find someone to replace Derbyshire as I'm more hopeful of keeping Baxter out of the two).

Saturday's a massive indicator as to whether we have turned the corner or not.

Crewe aside, our best performances this season have been against Portsmouth, Sheffield United and Preston which are arguably three of the more attractive fixtures in the calender.

The acid test will be on Saturday against a less-fashionable team in front of 3,500 fans.

Saturday's a massive indicator as to whether we have turned the corner or not.

Crewe aside, our best performances this season have been against Portsmouth, Sheffield United and Preston which are arguably three of the more attractive fixtures in the calender.

The acid test will be on Saturday against a less-fashionable team in front of 3,500 fans.

Saturday has to be the 1st time in a long while that I'm expecting a big win and dominant performance, rather than just hoping for it!

This is based on recent performances, the opposition and my opinion that we need to pick up as many points as possible while we have this current team together.

Leyton Orient (H) 2-0 win

Carlisle United (A)

Crawley Town (A)

Bury (H)

Tranmere Rovers(H)

Well, off to a good start in this mini season. 3pts tomorrow night and we really will be flying into the game at Crawley and, God forbid we bag 3pts there, Bury will be :censored:ting themselves.

As it happens, my over-optimism will be busted sooner rather than later and instead of me getting excited at the thought of entertaining the dippers on the back of a run of 6 wins in 7 games (imagine that!), we'll probably get beat 2 out of the next 3!

Id be quite happy with 2 points from 2 tough away games, then back to winning ways at kidderminster and EASY home games against bury and scousers

As daft as it may sound, would you prefer 2 draws at Carlisle & Crawley, meaning the unbeaten run stretches to 6 and confidence continuing to grow, but only 2pts accrued, or a win at Carlisle followed by a loss at Crawley, meaning we have accrued 3pts but our confidence taking a knock?

I think it's quite simple. We need to make sure we cash in and get as many points as we can whilst we have this group together. Utilise the obvious talent & ability of Wabara, Derbyshire and Baxter for as long as we can, getting as many points on the boards as is possible.

Winning breeds confidences, staying unbeaten breeds confidence. While the players tails are up, take advantage.

I know it's an away ground where traditionally we've not got much, but i want PD to send the lads out to have a go from the off. If we can get 3 points on Tuesday, we send the team down to Crawley in a great run of form & confidence; and another positive result there would just keep the run going.

I know a lass who hates the word "moist". Thinks its filthy.

My missus is a buyer for a well known supermarket and that word's only just been allowed back as a descriptive word for products. Apparently had a ban for a couple years. I'm reliably informed theIr carrot cake is moist again.

Derbyshire is with us until the Crawley game

Looks very likely that he will now be with us until Dec 15th., after the Swindon game. After that he has to go back because of the rules.

After reading the BBC article on Baxter, I am very optimistic that he will show loyalty and accept an improved contract.