Wes and Furman Out.

Blessing in disguise?

I'm a fan of them both when we use them the right way yet we aren't at the moment. Deep and sideways, reverting back to the tactics that led us to that dismal early season form. Do they not remember that when we went on that decent run about a month ago the 2 of them got forwards more, pressed higher up the field and linked between themselves and Baxter?

I've said this a few times; M'Changama is our answer. He's a gem that actually gets things done, he is industrious, productive and is a spark of quality. He's not consistent and will have moments where he loses the ball stupidly or makes a poor decision and wastes possession but put him next to a consistent midfielder like Wes or Furman and he will create things.

Yesterday, Tranmere knew that if they suppressed our wingers we have no alternate attacking threat from centre-midfield so they put the fullback and winger tracking Croft and Montano together, making it impossible for them. Put M'Changama in CM and we have another dimension, another threat (who will also contribute defensively).

As for Simpson. What can we do? He's playing atrociously, has a niggle, is void of any confidence. I'd be reluctant to play him but we have nothing else. We just have to hope that he turns things around.

Wild card.

Tarkowski in midfield.

Won't happen but we're screaming out for somebody who can travel from centre circle to opposing penalty area with ball at feet.

Morais did it, Furman did it, Baxter did it, Wes did it, M'Changma did it... but all stopped doing it. Why is that PD?

Morais did it, Furman did it, Baxter did it, Wes did it, M'Changma did it... but all stopped doing it. Why is that PD?

Its scary when the only player who actually tries to do that is your CB. This is part of the reason I want M'Changama playing, he is more willing to do that and will probably ignore Dickov's call to stop it.

Tarky hasn't the engine to play centre mid.

I'm not so sure about that.

Apparently Tarky spent his childhood as a striker (I know that is very different from Centre Mid) and I have often wondered if he could give us something extra up there.

I remember it working well for Ian Marshall and Paul Warhurst was on the verge of an England call up when he moved up the pitch!

I'd be interested to see how M'Changama and Baxter would do as a midfield pair with Smith alongside Derbyshire. If we have more of the possession I could see it being very effective but the big concerns are us bypassing the midfield by going long to Smith and possibly lacking the defensive bite in the midfield which could see us get overran by an in form home team.

Wes and Furman may not add as much as they possibly could going forward but their positional discipline and tenacity has helped our defence in being one of the better ones in the league in terms of goals conceded. There's a good chance we'll miss them when they aren't there.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Regarding Furman it is a little blessing in disguise as he is going to be playing for Bafana Bafana on Wednesday night and he probably wouldn't get back to England until Thursday night (unless the SAFA were going to provide a private plane for their European based players). So essentially he is going to miss a game he was going to struggle to play a full part in anyway. I think Youseff has deserved a go in centre-midfield behind a strike partnership that isn't hopelessly out of goals too. This way he is going to get that and he might not have done so otherwise. Whilst Simmo will probably get the nod to play alongside I think both him and Youseff will be too weak defensively against a resurgent Bournemouth side. The same with Baxter, unless he opts for a back 3 with Youseff, Simmo and Baxter in midfield (or even Croft) and MD + A.N. Other up front.

Guest Scratch2000uk

On thing for sure is the amount of side and back passes will be reduced, unless dickov gives orders otherwise.we could do with a more attacking minded midfield, Furman /Wes seem to stifle any momentum with their customary side and back passes.

I thought that Furman was one of Oldham's best players yesterday but that was a dreadful tackle that he crocked Danny Holmes with and he was extremely fortunate to only get a yellow card.

It wasnt even a foul. Won the ball completly clean didn't dive in from too far away - your lad pulled out of it and got caught the ref didnt even give a foul at first

It wasnt even a foul. Won the ball completly clean didn't dive in from too far away - your lad pulled out of it and got caught the ref didnt even give a foul at first

+1, caught the man, but won the ball first and the ref didn't even blow for it until another tackle flew in and the Tranmere player was down on the floor. Bad refereeing and it cost Furman a game ban

...but he wouldnt have played anyway

Spot on - an old fashioned tackle getting the ball first and then the man.

I don't buy the idea that this team goes out game after game and ignores what PD tells them to do. Because of the stupid mistakes that have been made our defence and midfield are all a little bit too careful. The Montano mistake against Bury was met with an early substitution and PD ignored him when he came off. I suspect there is too much talk about mistakes. Even with the mistakes we have one of the best defensive records in the division. It is the lack of goals that has cost us.