Matt Smith's miss - pathetic response from RRE knobs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean that compared to a lot of other strikers in the Premier League he was certainly not prolific.

Smith isn't ever going to score a sufficient amount of goals per season to be a lone striker but he can create chances and chip in himself. Especially with a good finisher, as I've been told Dan Taylor is from his performances in the reserves or whoever we may sign in January.

Ah, fair enough. As I've said elsewhere, I think he's handy to have as an impact sub. It must be unnerving for a tiring centre back seeing a 6"6 striker coming on for the final 15 minutes and having to change your game. Having him as a first choice striker is daunting though.

Vaz Te missed an even easier chance for West Ham yesterday. That said, it's not the first time Smith has lacked composure when in position. The bad news for him is he probably only has one or maybe two games more before a new striker (or Derbyshire) is brought in and he spends the next 5 months running a trench in front of the main stand paddock.

It was an horrific miss yet, he kept battling away winning plenty of headers, didn't hide and was unlucky to have one ruled out.

We all have differing opinions about Matty Smith - but you cannot deny that the lad never hides out on the pitch.

I thought that he had a decent game yesterday both in the air and on the ground - shocking miss I agree but it happens to the best - unlucky to have the goal disallowed and caused their defence problems all afternoon.

Bring on Scunthorpe - start with Taylor alongside him and give them a go.

Im not a big fan of Smith but i have never questioned his commitment, i suppose he could get better by playing more games and with age, giving him and Taylor a try at Scunny has to be worth a go. I would also start Montano and Croft with Wes and Baxter in centre mid. As for Furman go and pack your sun tan lotion your country needs you.

Is it frustration welling up or just a bunch of bellenz who don't realise you're not supposed to abuse your team's players?

If it was the regular bunch who do their best to create something resembling an atmosphere at Boundary Park, then usually their support is spot on. Their vocal support for Dickov in particular seems unwavering.

Give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, I think - it was a shocking miss.

I don't rate Smith as a player, at all. But I wouldn't doubt his effort, and I have never slagged off an Oldham player on the pitch. Many years ago a few of us got very pissed off at the treatment dished out to Ron Futcher. It nearly finished in fisty cuffs (couldn't resist). There is a time and place, and whilst actually playing is not the time or place. He's a young lad with little talent, but none of the teams efforts are his fault.

Yesterday it took 34 minutes before smith got a cross into him in the box!! I cant understand when you think of players like matt from the past and present same build etc why we play so far away from him?

Quinn & Philips Crouch & Defoe If you play with a target man up front you need somebody close to him to get the knock downs and take the ball when he holds it.

Baxter is playing too deep because we have a midfield pairing that like to go sideways and backwards he has to come deep which means everything then comes through the centre of the pitch instead of playing to smiths strengths and getting crosses in from wide.

We played a bit better when we went behind but it was just hit and hope wes and furman cant play together for me its too defensive and kills the game for smith.

416811_10151188577376200_207961500_n.jpg

Yesterday it took 34 minutes before smith got a cross into him in the box!! I cant understand when you think of players like matt from the past and present same build etc why we play so far away from him?

Quinn & Philips Crouch & Defoe If you play with a target man up front you need somebody close to him to get the knock downs and take the ball when he holds it.

Baxter is playing too deep because we have a midfield pairing that like to go sideways and backwards he has to come deep which means everything then comes through the centre of the pitch instead of playing to smiths strengths and getting crosses in from wide.

We played a bit better when we went behind but it was just hit and hope wes and furman cant play together for me its too defensive and kills the game for smith.

I agree totally with the little & large pairing......not sure that the problem is Furball & Wes. For me, it's the 2 guys on the outside, presently Croft and Montano.....neither of whom have yet put across a meaningful cross for Smith to attack and both more than likely to run inside or loft the ball into the box before reaching the 18 yard line. Keep Taylor with Smith, drop Croft and Montano and find a winger who can get to the byeline and cross from either side.

I agree totally with the little & large pairing......not sure that the problem is Furball & Wes. For me, it's the 2 guys on the outside, presently Croft and Montano.....neither of whom have yet put across a meaningful cross for Smith to attack and both more than likely to run inside or loft the ball into the box before reaching the 18 yard line. Keep Taylor with Smith, drop Croft and Montano and find a winger who can get to the byeline and cross from either side.

Personally, I thought they delivered a few cracking crosses. Namely, the one that Croft made that hit Dan Taylor on the back and went over and Montano made a couple of fantastic crosses in the perfect position that Smith just missed out on. Also, remember the disallowed goal? That was a good cross.

Creating chances wasn't the problem yesterday, it was the finishing. Smith could have had 4 or 5 and a few other players had half chances and though I don't want to blame it all on him Smith, he has to take a large portion of the blame.

Guest Scratch2000uk

How do you account for the same things happening before Croft, Montano came here then?

The crosses you mention were when we were behind and we decided to get the ball in the box and be a bit more direct which is what we should be doing. Notice we had more men in the box when we were behind and smith was more effective even having a goal chalked off and creating many more opportunities on the knock down!

We need to play with somebody else by his side and at times get the ball in the box without the crab style football (going sideways) in the centre of the park!!

Edited by KYLEOAFC

How do you account for the same things happening before Croft, Montano came here then?

Same :censored: last season with Taylor and Morais........no winger prepared to sprint to the touch line and cross. Taylor always cut in onto his right and Morais slowed the attack down.

Look at the opposition that we play against, we nearly always see an out and out winger.

I'm struggling to recall someone for us in the recent past who would beat defenders for pace and feed the forwards on a regular basis.

We need to play with somebody else by his side and at times get the ball in the box without the crab style football (going sideways) in the centre of the park!!

We just need to get somebody else in, full stop. The thought of Smith being in the starting line-up for the rest of the season frankly terrifies me, no matter who is alongside him, and even if he does put a lot of effort in and all that bollocks. The last thing we need when we're being sucked into a relegation dog-fight is a non-league striker who clearly isn't cut out for this level up front. There's no point beating around the bush about it anymore.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Guest Scratch2000uk

Same :censored: last season with Taylor and Morais........no winger prepared to sprint to the touch line and cross. Taylor always cut in onto his right and Morais slowed the attack down.

Look at the opposition that we play against, we nearly always see an out and out winger.

I'm struggling to recall someone for us in the recent past who would beat defenders for pace and feed the forwards on a regular basis.

Exactly, so it must be down to the manager to tell them to do it, or they don't respect him enough to do it. So it doesn't matter who you put in there, the same thing's going to happen.

Not so recent past, but Tricky Ricky Holden was an excellent example of how to beat the defender and get a qua;ity cross in.

We just need to get somebody else in, full stop. The thought of Smith being in the starting line-up for the rest of the season frankly terrifies me, no matter who is alongside him, and even if he does put a lot of effort in and all that bollocks. The last thing we need when we're being sucked into a relegation dog-fight is a non-league striker who clearly isn't cut out for this level up front. There's no point beating around the bush about it anymore.

Does the last bit mean we shouldn't discuss any further???

You have an opinion, Jonesy and one you are entitled to. I don't subscribe to it because I think the failure of Smith is down to basic lack of tactics by Dickov. I.e. NO wingers in the team just 2 scrappers in Furball and Wes, 2 wide men who want to come inside in Croft and Montano and Baxter who should be one of the midfield 2.

My biggest concern is the return of Simpson, whose attitude this season has just been shocking.....every time he plays, he seems to be content with winding the opposition up.......mind you, I don't think Dickov would berate him for that because he was a master himself.

Scratch......Tricky was outstanding, but we also had Adams, Brennan also and don't forget the hard work Gunnar did up and down the wing. One guy who did a good job was Matthew Rush in his short time.

Edited by mikejh45