In The Cold Light Of Day - Dickov To Stay

I may now be in a minority but I think that Paul Dickov should stay, at least until the end of the season.

A new manager would ideally need 3 or 4 weeks to assess his new group of players before making any changes - budgets permitting. As such, if we were going to sack Dickov, we should have made the move at the end of last month! I'd let Dickov - who does seem to have persuasive skills or good contacts - try and extend Baxter's contract and re-sign Derbyshire in January, and - budget permitting - sign an experienced and vocal centre back or central midfielder to strengthen the spine of the team. Hopefully, he'd also be able to ship out a couple of the youngsters - such as Millar and Hughes - on loan. Unless there are contract exit clauses that we are not aware of, we simply can't afford to sack Dickov, Taggart and Butler! Even if we could I'm still not convinced that a new manager would be able to turn things around with the squad that we have.

Nevertheless, who some supporters want to bring in seems to differ from day to day. Some seem to jump on the latest bandwagon, which was Sean O'Driscoll a few days ago but it's now Keith Hill. If vacancy did arise there would be the usual tired old calls for the return of Dowie or Ritchie or Sheridan. I'd also expect calls for Paul Scholes to join us as player manager, or an ex Latics player such as Gregan to return.

We also keep getting told that this is the best squad that we have had for a long time, but I beg to differ. There are some good, or promising, players, but do they compare with the recent past? We've a couple of decent 'keepers. Warbara is very promising, but is he as good as Eardley when he left Latics? Grounds is certainly better than Black, but not as good a defender as Sheehan. Byrne has been a decent, experienced, addition but he is no Sean Gregan. M'voto on his day is a good stopper, but he's not one of the best centre backs in League One. I'd swap either Furman or Wes for Wellens or Kilkenny any day, and the younger Croft was better than the older Croft. Although Montano shows promise, he's no David Eyres. Even Derbyshire's goal ratio is not as good as Beckett's or Hughes'! At best we are an average team with an average budget!

I've supported Latics for 42 years and we're still in a better position than when I first started watching them in 1970. We also made the best progress under manager's who stayed the course - Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle.

I know the football at BP has been unexciting for a while, but I think it's time for a bit of solidarity and conviction.

Happy New Year.

Wellens and Killkenny weren't in the same team, also Dickov said this was his best team. If we assembled the best squad of the last 10 years a few of these would make it in the 25, more than last season or season before that's for sure. Dickov should be gone sooner rather than later, I like him but he isn't good enough. The cost of sacking him will be a lot less than the cost of relegation.

I may now be in a minority but I think that Paul Dickov should stay, at least until the end of the season.

A new manager would ideally need 3 or 4 weeks to assess his new group of players before making any changes - budgets permitting. As such, if we were going to sack Dickov, we should have made the move at the end of last month! I'd let Dickov - who does seem to have persuasive skills or good contacts - try and extend Baxter's contract and re-sign Derbyshire in January, and - budget permitting - sign an experienced and vocal centre back or central midfielder to strengthen the spine of the team. Hopefully, he'd also be able to ship out a couple of the youngsters - such as Millar and Hughes - on loan. Unless there are contract exit clauses that we are not aware of, we simply can't afford to sack Dickov, Taggart and Butler! Even if we could I'm still not convinced that a new manager would be able to turn things around with the squad that we have.

Nevertheless, who some supporters want to bring in seems to differ from day to day. Some seem to jump on the latest bandwagon, which was Sean O'Driscoll a few days ago but it's now Keith Hill. If vacancy did arise there would be the usual tired old calls for the return of Dowie or Ritchie or Sheridan. I'd also expect calls for Paul Scholes to join us as player manager, or an ex Latics player such as Gregan to return.

We also keep getting told that this is the best squad that we have had for a long time, but I beg to differ. There are some good, or promising, players, but do they compare with the recent past? We've a couple of decent 'keepers. Warbara is very promising, but is he as good as Eardley when he left Latics? Grounds is certainly better than Black, but not as good a defender as Sheehan. Byrne has been a decent, experienced, addition but he is no Sean Gregan. M'voto on his day is a good stopper, but he's not one of the best centre backs in League One. I'd swap either Furman or Wes for Wellens or Kilkenny any day, and the younger Croft was better than the older Croft. Although Montano shows promise, he's no David Eyres. Even Derbyshire's goal ratio is not as good as Beckett's or Hughes'! At best we are an average team with an average budget!

I've supported Latics for 42 years and we're still in a better position than when I first started watching them in 1970. We also made the best progress under manager's who stayed the course - Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle.

I know the football at BP has been unexciting for a while, but I think it's time for a bit of solidarity and conviction.

Happy New Year.

So we're crap, but let's persevere? For how long? The point about the likes of SoD and Fat Hilly is that they are available and have the experience needed to inject some life into a club dying a slow and painful death. It would, I admit, be a temporary fix, because long-term issues still need addressing, but that would be better than the depressing rubbish being dished up week after crushingly depressing week.

You have a point, but I wonder how long it can possibly continue. The rest of the season? PDs record suggests things will actually get worse in the second half of the season. Where will that leave us?

What I think annoys a lot of fans is his unwillingness to change a formation for home games that judging from results clearly hasn't worked.

By default Furman going to South Africa may make him have to change things around and go with an attacking central midfielder.

I just hope he doesn't bring in another lightweight defensive midfielder on loan to replace Furman and it's business as before.

Nice to know that you think that it would be fine to stick with a losing manager who is going to send us into a relegation scrap but there are quite a lot of fans that actually think that might be a bad thing.

Maybe the ones who have stopped coming over his tenure and those managers before would disagree. In fact, most people who come at the moment want to see exciting football and aren't content with seeing boring football with no end product.

It would be lovely to have some continuity but to have that time we need to give the right manager a chance. The search for continuity has to initially begin by changing managers to find the right one, it's not as simple as just sticking with one manager when they are leading the team down.

But the question is, how long do you persiviere with a manager who has shown week on continuing week that he isnt up to it?

I think the time frame we're already at has been plenty long enough to assess PD's managerial credentials.

I reached the conclusion weeks & weeks ago that he just doesnt have it in him to turn this around. I want him too. I hope we could persist with a manager and playing group to build sone continuity. But - there is no point in simply sticking with PD becuase he just might be able to swing this around; when all the indications have shown he wont be able to.

All the subs on sat pointed to a desperate man making desperate changes. Had any of his other prefered options been available (simpson, mvoto) then Dan Taylor would have been knowhere near the pitch to score.

He hasn't got it. He hasnt really ever had it has he? And he shows no reasons to suggest he ever will. And for that reason alone; we should part ways.

Add into that 2 very; very decent lower league managers have become available in this last week, and surely Corney cannot afford to act?

Well said Mark. I totally agree with you. The only thing I would like is for a new fitness coach, sooner rather than later.

If the only major thing you think is wrong is the fitness coach then you can't be watching the same football as me.

Edited by NewBlue

Well said Mark. I totally agree with you. The only thing I would like is for a new fitness coach, sooner rather than later.

Well at least we now know PD subscribes to the OWTB forum masquerading underneath an alias. "Blame it on the fitness coach that'll throw them off the scent for a while. Right where were we, I know, the team for Tuesday lets just stick with the same 11 they,ll never notice".

I have to admit I'm not convinced that sacking the manager is the answer. Firstly could we really afford to pay off PD and pay someone like Keith Hill, etc? Also, would we attract anybody when they know there'll be no real money to spend in the transfer window and they have to make the most of who we've got? Just look at QPR: even Harry hasn't been able to make much of a difference there.

I understand everybody's frustrations. As a supporter of almost 40 years I worry about the future of our club, but I'm not sure that changing the manager will make a dramatic difference.

Guest Scratch2000uk

The board took a gamble with Dickov and apart from the first few months, it hasn't paid off. The only thing going for him, is his ability to persuade players to come here on loan, and he's got a few more contacts than Penney did. Saying that, he could probably do that, even if he wasn't the manager.

I have to admit I'm not convinced that sacking the manager is the answer. Firstly could we really afford to pay off PD and pay someone like Keith Hill, etc? Also, would we attract anybody when they know there'll be no real money to spend in the transfer window and they have to make the most of who we've got? Just look at QPR: even Harry hasn't been able to make much of a difference there.

I understand everybody's frustrations. As a supporter of almost 40 years I worry about the future of our club, but I'm not sure that changing the manager will make a dramatic difference.

YET AGAIN people not looking at the issue properly!!

If you recap on the SC interview on bbc when DP left, as he rightly says there are only ever 40 or so jobs available in the football league in terms of managers jobs so there will always be good applicants.

People like Davies, Cotterill etc if they truly want to get back into football again WILL apply! These people can't sit around waiting for a championship job to arise - sure they can apply for these jobs but they aren't all going to get the same job time after time.

Phil Brown was signing on the dotted line for Hartlepool until they didn't allow him to bring one or two of his own staff in - you don't go for the Hartlepool job if you want big wage budget or transfer funds - and theyre on less crowds than we are!!

Low budget people say??

AGAIN - SC said preseason that we had 12-15th budget this season and i'll bet we have gone over that to an extent to continue with our loan deals etc

Tranmere have factually stated they have a bottom 4 budget and look where they are - sure some luck has been involved but they aint got the best players in the league or the best manager, but he has them organised and doing their jobs to the best they can invariably each week AS A TEAM

As scunny proved recently, you can get a team up there with the right setup regardless of budget - Hill had Dale in the top 10 after they had come into league 1...........

SOD, Davies, Hill, Brown, Dowie - if the stand is truly imminent then SC can use this as a tool to state what is possible in the medium term future.

Q is, how much does he truly want us to succeed? decent managers like Davies will cost £ but has the skills to get us going and be competitive

Come on SC DO IT!!

The fact is that we have a squad more than capable of a top half, even top six, finish.

At the moment were struggling and its not temporary but evident since start of this season.

The finger needs to be pointed firmly at the manager. He cannot motivate the squad that he's put together to win consistently so needs to go immediately so we have some chance of finishing further up the table, away from relegation and possibility of attracting back some of the fans.

Keeping him shouldn't be an option and the only reason I can imagine for keeping him is the pay-off needed for PD, GT and the other back room staff.