Baxter in central midfield.

As well as it meaning that we can play a proper front two (possibly see how the Smith and Taylor partnership progresses) I think playing Baxter alongside one of Furman, M'Changama or Wes will allow him to have the biggest impact on the team. We looked better in the 2nd half today when he dropped deeper. My worry was that we'd get overran in midfield with only 1 of the aforementioned 3 but Changy showed that he can take care of the defensive side. I'm sure Furman could do this too, less sure about Wes.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

It's the only way to go on Tuesday for me, Baxter in midfield with Taylor and Smith up front.

Dickovs post match interview has already made wonder if he actually watches games, but surely he has seen the promising signs of a Taylor/Smith partnership!

I know it won't happen, but I think Sutherland should start in left midfield, tell him to use his pace and beat a man, something our current wingers aren't bothering to do!

Good idea, let's take our only player capable of scoring a goal and stick him on the halfway line.

He is the only one capable of finding a decent pass, from there it would give him more room to work. A lot of his goals have come from dead ball situations, he would still be taking these.

As well as it meaning that we can play a proper front two (possibly see how the Smith and Taylor partnership progresses) I think playing Baxter alongside one of Furman, M'Changama or Wes will allow him to have the biggest impact on the team. We looked better in the 2nd half today when he dropped deeper. My worry was that we'd get overran in midfield with only 1 of the aforementioned 3 but Changy showed that he can take care of the defensive side. I'm sure Furman could do this too, less sure about Wes.

It's the only way to go on Tuesday for me, Baxter in midfield with Taylor and Smith up front.

Dickovs post match interview has already made wonder if he actually watches games, but surely he has seen the promising signs of a Taylor/Smith partnership!

I know it won't happen, but I think Sutherland should start in left midfield, tell him to use his pace and beat a man, something our current wingers aren't bothering to do!

Suggested this after brentford. We have nothing to loose and taylor looks like he will work the keeper when given chances and baxters range of passing might give our wingers chance to cross to smith. Give it a shot 442 we have nothing to loose

Message to Paul Dickov - read the above posts - take on board - act. Tuesday away at Notts County - what better place to give this a go? As bluehobbit writes 'we have nothing to lose'!

Oh - and while your are at it; isn't it about time that Tarkowski was given a start? Desparate times Paul, desparate times :help:

Play the only attacking partnership we have because it looks like it could work! Play Sutherland on the right wing instead of someone else out of position! Put Baxter where he can control our game! Can't see it as it would require common sense!

We have lost 6 out of 7. We need to stop the rot. Don't think it would happen but to me it would make sense to pack the midfield and play one up front. Did we try and do this yesterday? As long as someone is getting close to smith it could work.

We've done that in the last 7 games and look at the results, you said it yourself above. Baxter has been the one who gets close to him.

When we have brought on a partner for Smith it's been beneficial to us and we've made chances. Even if we do make a chance for Smith on his feet he's not going to score it 8/10.

I would say put Baxter up front with Smith because the lad can finish, but that would nullify his creativity and there's nobody else who would made chances for him.

It has to be Smith and Taylor.

I actually think Mellor at LB, Grounds up to LM and Sutherland on the right could work as well. But these changes would probably seem outrageous to Dickov!

Sounds like we were caused all kinds of problems down the right yesterday, I'll be happy to see Wabara go back, get a new RB or Brown in!

I actually think Mellor at LB, Grounds up to LM and Sutherland on the right could work as well. But these changes would probably seem outrageous to Dickov!

Sounds like we were caused all kinds of problems down the right yesterday, I'll be happy to see Wabara go back, get a new RB or Brown in!

Mellor at left back would make it a clean sweep of defenders who hoof the ball. M'Voto, Byrne and Mellor. Last year at LB he was atrocious, and that's putting it kindly. The lad needs a run in his ACTUAL position, his stint at LB last year seemed to have killed his confidence and I'm sick of players out of position.

However, I like your idea of Grounds at LM, he played well there against Shrewsbury was it and would provide good cover for the LB whoever that may be. Wabara needs replacing, he simply can't defend and I wouldn't mind giving Sutherland a run in the team. He's the best out of the 3 young wingers; Millar, Hughes and Sutherland.

Edited by NewBlue

Mellor at left back would make it a clean sweep of defenders who hoof the ball. M'Voto, Byrne and Mellor. Last year at LB he was atrocious, and that's putting it kindly. The lad needs a run in his ACTUAL position, his stint at LB last year seemed to have killed his confidence and I'm sick of players out of position.

However, I like your idea of Grounds at LM, he played well there against Shrewsbury was it and would provide good cover for the LB whoever that may be. Wabara needs replacing, he simply can't defend and I wouldn't mind giving Sutherland a run in the team. He's the best out of the 3 young wingers; Millar, Hughes and Sutherland.

Maybe swap Mellor to LM and Grounds at LB, would be a solid left side, and Mellor wouldn't have to be so worried about losing it at the back!

Mellor was out of his depth yesterday. I'm not saying he's not good enough overall, but he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near left wing again. Offered nothing and kept giving the ball away. At one point he made a cracking tackle about thirty yards from his own goal and then just passed it back to the Coventry player. Took too long taking him off, we started to show some cohesion going forward once Brown was on and Grounds moved to LW.

Grounds on LW is still a square peg in a round hole but it's a better square peg than any of the others.

How can he when he's mouthing off to the 4th official all the match ?... send him to the stand whether he likes it or nor so he's forced to see the drivel we see.

Good idea, let's take our only player capable of scoring a goal and stick him on the halfway line.

Too true that was a brilliant goal scored by Baxter yesterday. Not only did he take the corner he managed to dash into the box and head it in. And grew about 8 inches in the process. Seriously, this lad is made for midfield his ability to "pick the lock" is there for all to see. Not as part of a 4-4-2 formation though he's hardly a 90 minute runner. More a 3-5-2 but rightly or wrongly Dickov doesn't seem to think our players are suited to it.

Too true that was a brilliant goal scored by Baxter yesterday. Not only did he take the corner he managed to dash into the box and head it in. And grew about 8 inches in the process. Seriously, this lad is made for midfield his ability to "pick the lock" is there for all to see. Not as part of a 4-4-2 formation though he's hardly a 90 minute runner. More a 3-5-2 but rightly or wrongly Dickov doesn't seem to think our players are suited to it.

Says it all, really.

And we all know that it will be Smith up-front on his own again, come Tuesday....that's if the game isn't postponed.

He started in centre mid yesterday and it worked so well that he got moved further forward before the half was finished.

We need him picking passes 30 yards from the oppo goal, the deeper he plays, the less effect he has on the game.