IF we went down

Im not saying we are going down but there is a strong possibility especially if PD stays.

But if we do, what are peoples opinions on what direction the club will go? On and off the pitch.

Would we make changes to the management, change the new stand details, a new overhaul of players, change the idea of scrapping the youth, consolidate in league 2 or go the same way as Stockport?

In my opinion we have been punching above our weight for 2 years now and our budget and fan base suggests this. I dont think the attendences would change much because i think we are only left with the people who will come no matter what.

This is the first time i have been genuinely fearful of going down, even when we had to beat Bradford on last day i was more confident than I am at this point. Just dont think the players have the fight and mentalality to change!

Opinions? Could it even benefit us?

Edited by oldhamoafc

Cross that bridge if it happens, the club/board/ management have between the end of the season to the opening of the next season to plan/ make changes. Any relegation is a grim prospect is it not? Just out of interest: how would you think relegation could be benefited from? Because I can't take any positives from getting relegated, I'm sure Dickov could though (pop).

some see relegation as a chance to start afresh. this is what talbot thought when he said it would have been better had we gone down. its a chance to break the never ending cycle of crapness. take swindon as an example. or norwich/city/southampton from the league above.

personally think it wouldnt happen in latics case, and we are more likely to end up like stockport

some see relegation as a chance to start afresh. this is what talbot thought when he said it would have been better had we gone down. its a chance to break the never ending cycle of crapness. take swindon as an example. or norwich/city/southampton from the league above.

personally think it wouldnt happen in latics case, and we are more likely to end up like stockport

Norwich, Southampton and Swindon all had money to spend, we wouldnt

I can't see any positives from it.

Relegation can re energise a club. Not saying it would for us but if we had a successful season the crowds would be up despite being in l2. Don't forget we haven't seen a promotion for a very long time. Nothing to suggest we would come straight back, just trying to chuck in a positive.

Relegation can re energise a club. Not saying it would for us but if we had a successful season the crowds would be up despite being in l2. Don't forget we haven't seen a promotion for a very long time. Nothing to suggest we would come straight back, just trying to chuck in a positive.

Annoys the :censored: out of me people moaning about having no new grounds to visit.

If it means latics staying in the third tier and remaining in existence il go to carlisle every other week.

Was only giving a positive as Gaz did. Because quite frankly, playing Colchester and Yeovil every season is really bringing the fans through the gate isn't it, a change of scenery could be a good thing?

Anyway, I was speaking from my own perspective NOT the clubs.....

I think if we go down we loose even more fans more money and the slow death speeds up a little bit.

IF and its a massive IF we go down but we have a bit of sucess and come back up quickly that might improve the mood around the club.

For me relegation still isnt something i want to contemplate....If we did go down id hope for a bit more of a "nothern league" so that we might generate some localish matches which might push our attendances up. But with a likely reduced budget, poorer players theres no gurantee we will do anthing more than survive.

In the immediate future we need to win tonight and put on a good showing against liverpool to try and generate some interest from stay aways - if we get a posative result against liverpool we should be hammering the local press and radio to try and get people back for the next home league game

I think if we go down we loose even more fans more money and the slow death speeds up a little bit.

IF and its a massive IF we go down but we have a bit of sucess and come back up quickly that might improve the mood around the club.

For me relegation still isnt something i want to contemplate....If we did go down id hope for a bit more of a "nothern league" so that we might generate some localish matches which might push our attendances up. But with a likely reduced budget, poorer players theres no gurantee we will do anthing more than survive.

In the immediate future we need to win tonight and put on a good showing against liverpool to try and generate some interest from stay aways - if we get a posative result against liverpool we should be hammering the local press and radio to try and get people back for the next home league game

To be honest mate I think a lot of the stayaways went when the Lookers went and never came back.

Plenty more won't come because of the smoking rules, why they cant open the gates at the back of the stands like most other clubs is anyones guess.

Going to BP these days is a chore that has now just become a habit.

Gone are the days when i used to not only look forward to a match but enjoyed most of it when i got there.

No matter what division we were in it was always a case of "roll on Saturday"

Now i get up Saturday and think " Oh god BP today " just because i have a S/T.

Most of us know that BP is a depressing place , add to it the crap football , poor weather and NIL entertainment and facilities you really have to ask what do any owners expect of fans to come and watch.

IF Latics go down then I and a few others will call it a day with S/T's and it will be the start of the decline to the Blue Square.

That league is full of clubs that got relegated from league one and thought they could bounce straight back.

the reality is that just doesn't happen at most clubs and the rot sets in.

Fewer S/T holders , smaller crowds , smaller budget STRUGGLE in league 2.

Look at the clubs coming out of league 2 , they all have better facilities and bigger budgets than us.

To me Latics are scrapping for their existence this season and we must survive or we are definitely on the road to ruin.

Haven't you heard, we've signed Jose Baxter on a 2 and half year deal ;)

I don't think our crowds will change much in League 2. In a peverse way, they might go up a tad if we had a decent start and with more local opposition. Like someone else said, a change of scenery can change peoples opinions.

As for how we'll do? Well, that depends on whether the fire-selling, cost-cutting, asset-stripping and continued rotting of the club carries on. If so, then a demise the same route as Stockport, Mansfield, Grimsby and Cambridge is on the cards. However if we were to keep the same budget, along with a change of management then I think we'd do OK, and get promotion within a season or two. In all likelihood we'd do a Port Vale or Bradford and be one of those too-good-to-go-down-but-not-good-enough-to-go-up clubs. Much like we've been for the past decade in this division.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I remember when we dropped into this division people saying

"if we go down we can start a fresh and bounce back up"

That went well didn't it!!?

Let's not go down.

Edited by pukka

its a chance to break the never ending cycle of crapness. take swindon as an example. or norwich/city/southampton from the league above.

Whilst its been ok for those clubs mentioned I agree this wouldn't happen with Latics. I doubt we'd be able to retain/attract the players needed to do well in L2.

If we go down, it'll be the same :censored: in a different division. We'd linger there for years, more likely to leave at the bottom than the top.

This is pretty much where I am. I think we'd become a L2 mainstay for the next 16 years (or however long we've been in L1). It'd be a disaster if we're relegated, I can't see any positives from it.

This is pretty much where I am. I think we'd become a L2 mainstay for the next 16 years (or however long we've been in L1). It'd be a disaster if we're relegated, I can't see any positives from it.

There's a lot of ifs and buts but if we went down and had a good season (not really unachievable) and got promoted it might bring some kind of feel good factor back. I don't think it's the division that we're in that's keeping people away, it's the monotony of never ending league 1 football.

Away following's probably as bad as I can remember it (bar the odd game) and crowds are lowest than they've been in most of our lifetimes. A successful league 2 team would be a more attractive proposition than a stagnant league 1 team.

I don't want us time go down because nothing's set in stone but if we were guaranteed a play-off final the following season I'd take it. To be honest, to say we all support the most boring club in the league, we're doing ok to get what we get. The people who have a go at the stayaways make me laugh, I completely understand why people don't bother at the moment. It's so dull.

Edited by longtimeblue