Do we back Corney?

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do we Back Corney

• Yes
    • No

basically it all comes down to three choices

1- try and sell the club, or attract significant investment - Hope it turns out well acca Wigan/hull/blackpool/swindon etc if it goes wrong see point 2

2- speculate on success and see it go wrong entering administration acca portsmouth

or see us die the cold miserable death we currently are acca stockport

the last 2 points are unthinkable, so you gotta give point 1 a good go, even if you fail

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scratch2000uk

Darlington.

Portsmouth.

Stockport.

What do they all have in common? They've all been into administration and 2 of them have dropped into non-league, whilst the other is fighting for it's football league status if it can't get out of administration by August.

Let's all be a little bit thankful.. we're struggling on, but we're still alive and kicking.

I didn't say i wasn't thankfull for them saving the club, far from it.

You can look at a few other clubs who have been where we are, and worse. Swansea, Brighton etc..and they have done great things with the right investment and vision, It seems the three amigo's vision, intent and desire has all but gone. It's Not just down to them though, There's the :censored:wits at the council, and of course the NIMBY's

Those clubs you mentioned, It could just as well happen to us,even without going into Admin, the way things are going.

Back Corney 100%. No Corney = no club.

No hidden secret that him and his two mates bought the club for the land. However, he's stuck around long enough and suffered enough grief that suggesting the reason for this is to safeguard that investment is madness.

He loves the club and yes he would probably walk if someone came forward and gave him his money back BUT he's kept us going and there's been some ups amongst all the downs along the way.

Can't pick a decent manager though...if he had a bucket full of Mourinhos, he'd pull out a Dave Penney!

We start again on the manager search come Tuesday I reckon and hopefully this time luck will shine on us.

I think it's interesting how in quite a few polls on here the voting changes once people who hold down a job come on line early/later evening...

This one for example where backing for Corney has risen,

Sorry? I can't hear you, all the way up there on your high horse.

I think you're very harsh on Corney in my opinion Prozac - there are shortcomings and failings in his running of the club and these are plain to see and i think Simon himself probably recognises these areas - hence why we have seen different changes in the past few seasons.

Fair Play to Simon Corney for sticking round at a club where most would have jumped ship!

He cant jump ship, he is looking after the other two amigo's investment,

I think it's interesting how in quite a few polls on here the voting changes once people who hold down a job come on line early/later evening...

This one for example where backing for Corney has risen,

I voted backing Corney and therefore disagree with those who voted No but this view is bizarre. Any correlation between time of vote and opinion on SC is coincidence. Or are you suggesting that people who vote during the day are somehow irrational, less intelligent etc?

I voted during the day at work (when I was clocked off I should add!).

I voted backing Corney and therefore disagree with those who voted No but this view is bizarre. Any correlation between time of vote and opinion on SC is coincidence. Or are you suggesting that people who vote during the day are somehow irrational, less intelligent etc?

I voted during the day at work (when I was clocked off I should add!).

No. Don't know why you should look for something that's not there.

Several polls change in the evening. It's an observation.

You can look at a few other clubs who have been where we are, and worse. Swansea, Brighton etc..and they have done great things with the right investment and vision,

You mention 2 clubs with access to almost uncontested catchment areas when it comes to support. All very well crying out for investment, anyone and everyone knows that's needed, but we're essentially berating Corney because we can't find someone who just wants to pour their money away with little chance of any return on the investment.

Guest Scratch2000uk

You mention 2 clubs with access to almost uncontested catchment areas when it comes to support. All very well crying out for investment, anyone and everyone knows that's needed, but we're essentially berating Corney because we can't find someone who just wants to pour their money away with little chance of any return on the investment.

I don't think Oldham would struggle all that much to fill a stadium, if they were in the top flight, I don't think the other two amigos would have invested into Oldham, if they thought they were just pouring their money away either.

It's a pointless debate really, unless there is investment, we're stuck with him, just as much as he's stuck with us.

The ones with sense who will be there on Sunday, with the rest of us, who have no sense, who have had to put up with all the insipid performances (or listen to them).

I'm glad I'm not one of the ones with sense. The only sense I would have is guilt!

Sounds like Nietschze or Joey Barton

Makes me laugh when people think there's a load of Russian Oligarchs or Arab Princes knocking SC's door down wanting to invest in us!

And this is the reality of most lower league football clubs.

I willingly criticise Corney for his cost cutting instincts (knocking down pubs and stands, leaving scoreboards switched off) but I understand them. I would much rather feel that it's about investing in the infrastructure to grow income and improve the "match day experience".

I would like a car park covered in tarmac but I prefer José Baxter Baby playing for the club. I want decent bar facilities in all stands but I appreciate the costs in fitting out decent bars to serve beer 25 times a season.

So do we support him or not? It's an odd question. Latics is his toy and it's up to him what he does with it. I'm certainly not going to sing his praises on match day or demand his removal. Even if we demand it, a new owner won't magically appear. I think he does what he thinks is right for the football club - based on the income that it generates.

Could we be a rich Arab plaything? It's a patent no. If I was a rich man looking in the north of England I'd go to Leeds or Sheffield. I'd consider Aston Villa. If I could get the two Bristol teams to merge there'd be an opportunity - hell would freeze over first. But Oldham, even merged with Bury and Rochdale wouldn't be on the radar.

A bankrupt Rangers couldn't attract what we dream of. Oldham Athletic has no chance.

So as far as Simon Corney goes he'll have to do. I have no particular love for him. But I'm not sure i could do any better without throwing my own money at it. And businessmen tend not to do that unless they can see a clear return. Paying for two new stands that won't be filled - would you?

We need to get lucky with a manager and a set of players.

Edited by opinions4u