Corney on Talksport in 30 mins

Listened on the sky box and have to say it sounds like we're getting an intrim manager from the sound of things.

Hopefully, its a been there; done that experienced type to see us safe; and then we reassess from there......

Phil Brown's now 5/1.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Brown a guest at times on their shows?

Clutching at straws here because it'll mean I lose out on my bet but even more so I don't want that fool managing our club.

Do you reckon SC may bring someone seasoned in plus another assistant or player coach? Unsure budget will allow.

Peter Reid is well seasoned, he used to know his onions.

Edited by BP1960

Did I hear him say he had spoken to a couple to tell them he was interested in them taking the job? Also I wouldnt write dowie off just yet, if SC sticks to what he said and listens to the fans then dowie has to be up there in the reckoning. My only worry is would dowie quit his job on sky sports just to be made a temporary manager?

Edited by 4froale

My reading of that interview is Phil Brown..from all the names in the hat why did the London presenters mention him after the interview ?

If he puts Brown in charge, then he isn't listening to the fans, but it is Corney's decision and it won't be the first time he has made a bad one.

I really do not like 'Perma-tan' and if he takes over, I don't hold much hope for the future.

No one can know how good or bad the new manager is going to be, initially it's up to the present crop of players to step up to the mark, if they can't do it for a new manager there's not much of a future for them.

Edited by BP1960

Did I hear him say he had spoken to a couple to tell them he was interested in them taking the job? Also I wouldnt write dowie off just yet, if SC sticks to what he said and listens to the fans then dowie has to be up there in the reckoning. My only worry is would dowie quit his job on sky sports just to be made a temporary manager?

We don't know who the applicants are though, all speculation on here.

No, but my one finger is speedy. It comes from listening to councillors over 38 years and sifting, out of all the hot air, the important bits and noting them.

You have really suffered these last few years then with inept councillors and Latics failures. You deserve a medal.

Corney made it clear he will not rush an appointment this time, like he has done in the past. He seemed to be aiming at having someone in post after the Everton game at the latest. We'll have to see if the Board gets 'blown away' by a candidate before then.

Perhaps 'the Board' (if we're going to run with the idea that anyone other than Corney gets a say) should look more at each candidate's credentials rather than someone with the gift of the gab in interview. It worries me greatly that Corney's saying he's looking for another Dickov. I really hope that doesn't mean a cheap option, with no experience, who can only be justified on the basis that he was so impressive in interview. Sitting in the relegation zone with less than a third of the season left is not a time for putting the team in the hands of someone with very little managerial experience.

I'm also not sure an interim appointment is right. How motivated will manager and players be if everything's going to be up in the air again at the end of the season? I suppose it would depend on how this is structured. Best approach, it seems to me, is to offer a 'keep us up and the job's yours longer-term' style contract.

It may be, of course, that an interim manager is put in place so Dowie can become manager in the summer if we stay up. Givig him time to relinquish his Sky contract. (and ergo listening to the fans.

OF course, the manager lanscape could change by then.

His son has said on Twitter that his dad has been waiting for a long term project like this to come up.

What we don't know is how the Dowie/Corney relationship was.

We know how it ended, but they may have met a lot or practically not at all.

It could be he offers £1m for us to stay up and gets Scholes in for the summer, of course! Or maybe a bit less than £1m !!!

Which would be the ideal scenario for me.

A temporary coach for the rest of the year?

I suspect he may stick with the coaches we currently have (+ Murray) and look to decide on a coach once we know what league we are in next year!

If we stay up we are likely to attract better managers, dropping down to manage a division two club may not suit many (even if they have no other job offers)

It may be, of course, that an interim manager is put in place so Dowie can become manager in the summer if we stay up. Givig him time to relinquish his Sky contract. (and ergo listening to the fans.

OF course, the manager lanscape could change by then.

His son has said on Twitter that his dad has been waiting for a long term project like this to come up.

It could be he offers £1m for us to stay up and gets Scholes in for the summer, of course! Or maybe a bit less than £1m !!!

Which would be the ideal scenario for me.

Did their times at the club cross over at all? Dowie left December '03 and TTA arrived early '04 didn't they? Even if they were in negotiations with the club through that time I can't imagine they met Dowie much. I could of course be wrong though, I was only a nipper at the time.

According to various news articles, SC has gone on record as saying that him and Dowie are friends and speak, so not sure all the cloud that ID left under was any near as bad as we thought or at least the relationship has improved since then.

According to various news articles, SC has gone on record as saying that him and Dowie are friends and speak, so not sure all the cloud that ID left under was any near as bad as we thought or at least the relationship has improved since then.

Cheers. I cannot recall ever seeing said articles, so thanks for clarification.

Only thing I can recall is the aggrow ith the car. but of course we donlt know the ins and outs.

There can't have been much of an overlap. I'm pretty sure Dowie left the day before we beat QPR 2-1 (Ernie and Eyre second half comeback) and that that was in December 2003. Celebration Sunday was February 2004 IIRC which means they couldn't have been here that long (if at all) then.

The only issue for me with Dowie on his departure was that at the same time as his 'Go Hard or Go Home' speech at the Legends match he was applying for every job under the sun and it felt as if he couldn't wait to get away.

Perhaps 'the Board' (if we're going to run with the idea that anyone other than Corney gets a say) should look more at each candidate's credentials rather than someone with the gift of the gab in interview. It worries me greatly that Corney's saying he's looking for another Dickov. I really hope that doesn't mean a cheap option, with no experience, who can only be justified on the basis that he was so impressive in interview. Sitting in the relegation zone with less than a third of the season left is not a time for putting the team in the hands of someone with very little managerial experience.

I'm also not sure an interim appointment is right. How motivated will manager and players be if everything's going to be up in the air again at the end of the season? I suppose it would depend on how this is structured. Best approach, it seems to me, is to offer a 'keep us up and the job's yours longer-term' style contract.

I agree about appointing another PD but then again, he did quite well at first and if he was being appointed now, probably could keep us up (before going backwards).

There can't have been much of an overlap. I'm pretty sure Dowie left the day before we beat QPR 2-1 (Ernie and Eyre second half comeback) and that that was in December 2003. Celebration Sunday was February 2004 IIRC which means they couldn't have been here that long (if at all) then.

The only issue for me with Dowie on his departure was that at the same time as his 'Go Hard or Go Home' speech at the Legends match he was applying for every job under the sun and it felt as if he couldn't wait to get away.

He did take TTA to an employment tribunial though, saying that he was owned bonuses but I think he ended up dropping it when it was pointed out to him that it was the old club.

He did take TTA to an employment tribunial though, saying that he was owned bonuses but I think he ended up dropping it when it was pointed out to him that it was the old club.

His lawyer can't have been any good then as TUPE would have still applied if he had been quick enough. It might have been settled quite quickly especially if Dowie still didn't have a contract.

His lawyer can't have been any good then as TUPE would have still applied if he had been quick enough. It might have been settled quite quickly especially if Dowie still didn't have a contract.

TUPE is remarkably limited. Especially for those TUPED with no contract.

Non-contractual perks die pretty rapidly even when TUPE applies.

Cheers. I cannot recall ever seeing said articles, so thanks for clarification.

Only thing I can recall is the aggrow ith the car. but of course we donlt know the ins and outs.

The actual quote was ' Corney confirmed that he has been in contact with the former QPR manager.

‘Iain and I are good friends and we speak on a regular basis, but the club has time to make the right appointment,’ added Corney.

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2K1BeysRO

Edited by Killens_physio