Corney on Talksport in 30 mins

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love it - LOVE IT - if we appointed someone no one's mentioned in all the t'internet speculation.

Seeing as everyone's had a mention, that's highly unlikely.

Like Glen Hoddle ?

Edited by BP1960

I just feel we need to look to the intrim manager approach and secure our League One status, then re-assess and move ahead in the summer once that's been secured.

I worry for a couple of scenarios:

if we appoint "another Dickov" right now; it's alomost lions den situation and they're straight into a sink or swim scenario, the sink being the nightmare of relegation. I'd worry about an untried, untrained and inexperienced rookie taking charge of us straight into a relegation scrap.

If we appoint an older head, a real experienced manager with the sole aim to keep us up this season, but on a longer deal than interim, we'd be stuck with them for the next few seasons. I fully expect the type of manager who has the nounce & experience to get us out of this dog-fight to be funcational, organised and somewhat direct in their style. Would I want that moving into a new season or seasons? Possibly not; to get us out of this god-awful mess we find ourselves in; heck yeah - whatever is needed to see us safe. But; on a longer deal - we'd be stuck.

That's why IMO I think we should be looking for a intrim manager on a deal to the end of the season; with the sole aim of keeping us up. During the next few months; behind the scenes; the board (or basically Corney) are formulating plans and planting the seeds for the new manager. A pre-season appointment of a raw rookie sits better with me when we've secured our L1 status and we have pre-season for the new guys to come in and start to make his mark. A rookie now is a huge risk, and an old timer on a long term deal also IMO.

Edited by slystallone

I just feel we need to look to the intrim manager approach and secure our League One status, then re-assess and move ahead in the summer once that's been secured.

I worry for a couple of scenarios:

if we appoint "another Dickov" right now; it's alomost lions den situation and they're straight into a sink or swim scenario, the sink being the nightmare of relegation. I'd worry about an untried, untrained and inexperienced rookie taking charge of us straight into a relegation scrap.

If we appoint an older head, a real experienced manager with the sole aim to keep us up this season, but on a longer deal than interim, we'd be stuck with them for the next few seasons. I fully expect the type of manager who has the nounce & experience to get us out of this dog-fight to be funcational, organised and somewhat direct in their style. Would I want that moving into a new season or seasons? Possibly not; to get us out of this god-awful mess we find ourselves in; heck yeah - whatever is needed to see us safe. But; on a longer deal - we'd be stuck.

That's why IMO I think we should be looking for a intrim manager on a deal to the end of the season; with the sole aim of keeping us up. During the next few months; behind the scenes; the board (or basically Corney) are formulating plans and planting the seeds for the new manager. A pre-season appointment of a raw rookie sits better with me when we've secured our L1 status and we have pre-season for the new guys to come in and start to make his mark. A rookie now is a huge risk, and an old timer on a long term deal also IMO.

Think you are right Sly, but can any manager work with players who won't always put in a full shift, if they can't do it for a manager they liked what happens if they don't like the new manager ?

The new manager will need a record of players who will fight tooth and nail for him..who is there out there who fits that bill ?

Edited by BP1960

Who's to say if we go down the rookie with no experience route again, we wont be in this very same situation again come next season and so the cycle will start again? Im not against your idea by any means but if i was SC and he decided to do this it would be the with the caveat that they have an experienced number 2 alongside them. We can afford a repeat performance of Dickov and Taggart.

I can see how an interim makes sense ahead of a move for a season-ticket selling rookie in a few months but you'd first of all need to find someone willing to do that (presuming that they also wouldn't be looking to bring in their own back room staff on a similar short-term basis) and then hope that the new man is good enough to turn it around. It strikes me that the Red Adair type figure would be costly ( or may be willing to accept a hefty bonus if successful) and it would most likely rule out the likes of Dowie & Brown who head the betting at the moment. The only one that springs to mind as someone who would accept that kind of deal is Horton or even Gannon.

Edited by Twisbrogan

Who's to say if we go down the rookie with no experience route again, we wont be in this very same situation again come next season and so the cycle will start again? Im not against your idea by any means but if i was SC and he decided to do this it would be the with the caveat that they have an experienced number 2 alongside them. We can afford a repeat performance of Dickov and Taggart.

Oh exactly, the backroom team is so vital in that type of appointment.

I look to Dougie Freedman at Palace and now Bolton; he has Lennie Lawence with him. Young Rookie manager with fresh ideas and the hunger and passion to go far; backed up by a been there; done it old-school football bloke. See also Carl Robinson with John Gorman too.

One of PD's biggest mistakes was not going down this route with his team IMO - if we did go Rookie in the summer; an experienced Number 2 or Coach alongside would be a must.

I haven't heard the interview but from DS' snapshot it sounded like when he was looking for another PD he said he wants someone to blow him away at interview. That doesn't mean he wants to go for another novice. Can somebody show me something different or is another OWTB mountain being made out of a molehill?

I haven't heard the interview but from DS' snapshot it sounded like when he was looking for another PD he said he wants someone to blow him away at interview. That doesn't mean he wants to go for another novice. Can somebody show me something different or is another OWTB mountain being made out of a molehill?

I think your interpretation of what I heard is spot on!

His lawyer can't have been any good then as TUPE would have still applied if he had been quick enough. It might have been settled quite quickly especially if Dowie still didn't have a contract.

To add to O4U's comments, I don't believe TUPE has the same grounding when the employer isn't solvent as it could result in the business not being saved. The club also reached a CVA which I think may have drawn a line under any such ongoing responsibilities.

To add to O4U's comments, I don't believe TUPE has the same grounding when the employer isn't solvent as it could result in the business not being saved. The club also reached a CVA which I think may have drawn a line under any such ongoing responsibilities.

Also, any TUPE rights would be dependent on Dowie's employment contract being assumed by the new company. Since he left at the end of 2003 and the new company was registered in 2004, that couldn't have happened.

I look to Dougie Freedman at Palace and now Bolton; he has Lennie Lawence with him. Young Rookie manager with fresh ideas and the hunger and passion to go far; backed up by a been there; done it old-school football bloke. See also Carl Robinson with John Gorman too.

One of PD's biggest mistakes was not going down this route with his team IMO - if we did go Rookie in the summer; an experienced Number 2 or Coach alongside would be a must.

don't have a preference of experience/rookie eitherway, but we've got to bacck whoever we choose with an opposite type of assistant.

So say we appoint Dowie, offer an assistant role to a young guy who might take over after that or at the end of the season. And if we choose a young player/manager then we have to appoint an experienced assistant like you say!

Short term we've got to stay up, but long terrm we've got to try and have some stability.

Also, any TUPE rights would be dependent on Dowie's employment contract being assumed by the new company. Since he left at the end of 2003 and the new company was registered in 2004, that couldn't have happened.

In the interim period the Club's 'owners' were Sean Jarvis and Neil Joy - the best 50p each they ever spent.

Oh yeah that's true I'd forgotten about the time lag it took for Corney and his plans to take full registered ownership of the club. IIRC they were in nominal charge/owners when Dowie left but were not the registered owners until 2004.

Or just a competent number 2, experienced or not

The reason we are in the :censored: is down to poor player recruitment, no pace in the wide areas and up front, no height, strength or legs in central midfield, the lack of a proper organiser/leader in central defence.

You can have the best coaches around but if the players haven't got the attributes you find yourself where we are now.

Corney said:

Should be a lot higher in League - top 10 finish - on mid-table budget.

Impossible to balance books, except with 80% chance of going down.

Broken even once with a good cup run.

Scholes is a great friend of the Club - at the moment why should he give up that sort of money?

Players massively culpable. - they're not performing.

Would like manager in place for Sat, but not necessarily - 70/80 applicants, as have Notts County.

Surprised at quality of applicants.

Looking for a 'Paul Dickov' - he blew us away on interview.

Would have an interim manager until end of season.

Not approached anyone - they've come to us - one or two stand out - we'll arrange interviews.

We've got a couple of weeks to get it sorted.

McLeish going is unbelievable - we're partly responsible.

Top stuff Diego!

I think letting Sean Jarvis go, was another big mistake.Our marketing has been a laughing stock, since he went

Sean went himself, :censored: all budget to plau with... Chance of going to a big club and the trappings was a good move for Sean imo.

I kind of like the idea that we should not have a manager that performs well at interview! If I was appointing a manager I would not only test him out at interview but I would also get him to write something, have a group exercise with the other applicants and want to see him take a group of players for training - anyone not prepared to do this would get the heave ho.

The problem with finding someone to keep us up, who will then move on is that any manager appointed between seasons will not know the strengths (being positive) and weaknesses (being realistic) of those players we will be retaining. I would prefer someone who not only will keep us up but also is on a promise of a longer contract if he does so.

I kind of like the idea that we should not have a manager that performs well at interview! If I was appointing a manager I would not only test him out at interview but I would also get him to write something, have a group exercise with the other applicants and want to see him take a group of players for training - anyone not prepared to do this would get the heave ho.

The problem with finding someone to keep us up, who will then move on is that any manager appointed between seasons will not know the strengths (being positive) and weaknesses (being realistic) of those players we will be retaining. I would prefer someone who not only will keep us up but also is on a promise of a longer contract if he does so.

Not a bad idea, get a short list of 6 to each take a training session, and see how the players respond.