Tranmere 'rivalry'

Tranmere fan in peace

First off well done for the cup heroics. Always good to see one of the big boys over the river snotted by a lesser club, especially the arrogant red lot. Unfortunate league position for you but hope you get someone in and stay up, always a nice close game to get to every season, would be a shame to lose it at the expense of a Gillingham.

Now the reason I'm here. Some of our fans making me cringe my arse off at thinking we have a genuine rivalry going so just want your thoughts on what you think of us, as a club. Hatred, mild dislike, or do we mean about as much to you as Yeovil or Brentford?

Cos I just don't 'get' the rivalry with a club 40 miles away that has 2 rivals of their own and doesn't have any real history. Yet some of our idiots can't mention Oldham without the word 'scum' after it..

All help appreciated

Ta

Hi mate,

To be fair, I dont see you as rivals as you were no-were to seen in the old second division in the 80's and early 90's , just as we dont have any malice against Stocport, Bury, Crewe or Rochdale.

Most of our rivals have moved on to bigger things, but I still consider Blackburn, Burnley, Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield.( Blackopool)

In recent years, Rochdale and Bury have tried to spice things up based on the short distance between the clubs, I just looked forward to the short journey down the road.

We probably hold you in the same view as Preston.

Think a lot of it goes back to when we used to play you in the cup on a regular basis, then the Ronnie Moore factor definately spiced it up for our fans!! Must admit have got a £10 bet with my brother that you won't go up, although this season you looked a pretty decent team.

We're in a close proximity and both fans bring a decent away support to one another's grounds.

There is certainly a rivalry there which is probably exaggerated by the fact we've had the pleasure of playing each other weekly for is it 14 years?

I found the rivalry when I tweeted about Tranmere and got a backlash from around 20 of their fans and some support from Latics fans, too.

I suppose it's formed into a rivalry because it would be more boring not to have one; when you spend such a long time in one league there has to be more interesting ties to keep fans coming to the matches.

Personally, I would hate you being promoted because partly Ronnie Moore, some of your fans and the rivalry that is there.

Dont see Tranmere as rivals - altough maybe in time i will

Being honest never a team ive liked going back to days aldridge and co.

I think the recent etxra spice in the games has come from moore and the fact we havent done so well against him recently.

In my time though ive nevre really considerd blackburn or burnly to be riavals either so maybe its an age/generation thing

Tranmere fan in peace

First off well done for the cup heroics. Always good to see one of the big boys over the river snotted by a lesser club, especially the arrogant red lot. Unfortunate league position for you but hope you get someone in and stay up, always a nice close game to get to every season, would be a shame to lose it at the expense of a Gillingham.

Now the reason I'm here. Some of our fans making me cringe my arse off at thinking we have a genuine rivalry going so just want your thoughts on what you think of us, as a club. Hatred, mild dislike, or do we mean about as much to you as Yeovil or Brentford?

Cos I just don't 'get' the rivalry with a club 40 miles away that has 2 rivals of their own and doesn't have any real history. Yet some of our idiots can't mention Oldham without the word 'scum' after it..

All help appreciated

Ta

Cheers for the cup sentiment.

Tranmere are not our rivals and never have been.

I suppose it makes things more interesting because of the link with Ronnie but that's as far as it goes other than the fact that you lot are relatively local. Those are the 2 main reasons that most Latics fans won't want you to go up.

Our rivals from my point of view would be Leeds / Huddersfield (both modern day) / Blackburn (from many years ago).

I would like to wish you all the best for the season but I can't quite do it due to the fact that I am very jealous of your league position compared to our's :grin:

Tranmere fan in peace

All help appreciated

Ta

I would have thought you'd be hoping to lose the fixture at Oldham for a completely different reason.

I certainly think the ronnie moore factor gives it an edge but I wouldn't say it was a big rivalry, I think the fact that it's two similar size clubs who usually do pretty similar makes it a bit of a rivalry, you certainly mean more to us that brentford/Yeovil etc but are not main rivals.

Tranmere are not our rivals and never have been

Our rivals from my point of view would be Leeds / Huddersfield (both modern day) / Blackburn (from many years ago).

Leeds and Blackburn don't give a :censored: about us. All about opinions but struggle to see why Udders are rivals and Tranmere not?

The animosity between us and Udders and the Trannies came about around the same time.

Having said that, I still see Citeh as a rival.

Tranmere are not our rivals and never have been

Leeds and Blackburn don't give a :censored: about us. All about opinions but struggle to see why Udders are rivals and Tranmere not?

The animosity between us and Udders and the Trannies came about around the same time.

modern day, i would say tranmere are our most immediate rivals, but its mainly due to us not having a decent one, people clutch at straws.

obviously the two big ones are city and utd (purely on a local fan basis, their club as a whole, and the wider fan base couldnt give a :censored:)

after that id say hudds,blackpool and tranmere on an equal basis

and after that all your stockports/burys/dale etc

for me latics dont have an out and out clear rivalry, never had done. historically we have fluctuated through the leagues to much and all our local rivals have bigger derbies of their own (bury/dale, utd/city etc) to really give a damn about us

And Citeh definately wouldn't give a :censored: about us, in fact most Citeh fans I know actually like us!

We had some decent games against Tranmere in the 90's, in fact you turned us over a few times in the cup when we were in the top flight I think.

I do like to put one over on Tranmere now, but not because of any real club rivalry, but because Ronnie Moore is the Latics manager I have hated the most on my 30 years of support for the club.

Meh, I've always felt nothing but indifference towards Tranmere. Obviously the Ronnie Moore-factor adds a bit of spice to the fixture, but apart from that Tranmere are just another club really. Which is a shame in a way, it would be nice to have a proper rival in this division...

I've never liked Tranmere, mainly because I remember my dad taking to Prenton Park as a kid in the early-mid 90s and us getting horsed every time. Don't hate them as such but if a team keeps beating you it starts to grate!! Glad the Ronnie Moore factor got thrown in, as others have said after so long in this division we need an excuse to form a rivalry with someone.

Rivals - Yes of sorts, we've been in the same division for quite a few years now but I don't think it is a strong rivalry. For me it stems out of the FA cup match when you had Aldridge and Nevin playing for you and you beat us in the replay. However Nevin dived for a pen and Aldridge got sent off after stamping.

I suppose you are kind of rivals, about on a par with rochdale for me.

If I begin with hatred starting at city, libpool, leeds etc. I would say you are around 20th at dislike, below McFranchise but above rochdale. But when ronnie leaves you will drop back into the pffff category with bury.