• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's correct for the capital one cup, however I'm sure that for the FA Cup, the runners up will qualify for Europa. I imagine that if both finalists are Champions League qualifiers, that then the Europa place will go to PL rather than a semi finalist. Don't know for definite mind.

If the cup winners qualify for Chsmpions League, I'm pretty sure the Europa League spot just goes to league.

I thought losing finalists qualified in those circumstances. Can't see it ever going to semi finalists though.

Oops bit slow there

Edited by Magic Mikey

League Cup winners qualify for nothing.

Should the FA Cup winners and/or losing finalists qualify for Europe via the league, then the last European spot will go to the next place in the league, rather than any semi finalist of the FA Cup.

Basically, we make the final, we make Europe.

UEFA Europa League

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

Basically, the FA cup is the #1 priority EL spot so it needs a champions league qualifying team to win it to go to the runner up. If the team finishing 5th in the premier league wins the fa cup, the fa cup spot goes to 6th in the league.

Who do we want in the group then? Can't decide between smaller teams like Udinese, Liverpool and Twente to give us the best chance of progression, or the giants like Ath Madrid straight away....

I would say one giant team for the glamour, and 2 small western European teams for easy away trips and a probability of finishing second in the group. We are then likely to draw a decent team in the knock out phase. Let's be realistic we aren't going to win it at our first attempt so it would be nice to play a really big name.

Nurse!

Edited by Magic Mikey